Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Kiryat Shmona - The Story of a Minnow

Laurencio
    Laurencio

Supports : Rosenborg, ManUtd

Kiryat Shmona - The Story of a Minnow Empty Kiryat Shmona - The Story of a Minnow

Post by Laurencio Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:00 pm

Kiryat Shmona, a small city on the edge of the Isreali-Lebanon border with a population of just over 26k is the scene of one of the most surprising, and dare I say awesome, minnow stories of recent years. The team, that plays in a stadium with a capacity of just over 5k, has done what many would consider to be the impossible. With little resources, a troubled existence and in a city plagued by the constant threat of war, they have come out as the most dominant team in Isreal at the moment.

On Tuesday, a sizable contingent of the city’s residents traveled south to Petah Tikva to watch its team take on the traditional Israeli power-house — Hapoel Tel Aviv — in the final of the Toto cup, the first major tournament of the season. In a grueling contest, which played out just like a minnow story should, Kiryat Shmona surrendered a late goal that tied the score, putting everyone on edge, but came out victiourious from the penalty-kick shootout.

But that's not all, anyone can win a cup trophy after all, in addition to winning this trophy, they are also first in the Isreali league, with an astounding 11 point lead! Well on course on winning the leauge, it puts the club on course for its first league championship and, remarkably, a qualifying spot in the world’s richest and most prestigious soccer club competition, the UEFA Champions League.

That this long-shot team — officially known as Hapoel Ironi Kiryat Shmona — has been able to get this far has already shaken up Israeli soccer, which is normally dominated by clubs from Tel Aviv, Jerusalem and Haifa, with their bigger budgets.

Beyond that, the team has given a city that has often felt marginalized and neglected a sense of pride.

“Today, it’s like a dream,” Almorg Moryoussef, a 23-year-old student, said as he stood outside Ironi Stadium in Kiryat Shmona last Saturday as the team prepared to play Ironi Nir Ramat HaSharon and local fans — nicknamed the Blue Lions — gathered with drums and banners.

“This is the very first time since Kiryat Shmona was established that the city was in the news not because of the connection with missiles, attacks and war, but football,” he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/26/sports/soccer/in-israel-a-stunning-rise-for-kiryat-shmonas-soccer-team.html?ref=sports
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Kiryat Shmona - The Story of a Minnow Empty Re: Kiryat Shmona - The Story of a Minnow

Post by Scuba Steve Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:32 pm

Front page (don't know if he meant sports page or actual front page) of the New York Times today. The American defensive midfielder they have, Bryan Gerzicich, is meant to be one of the best in the league apparently.
    Laurencio
    Laurencio

Supports : Rosenborg, ManUtd

Kiryat Shmona - The Story of a Minnow Empty Re: Kiryat Shmona - The Story of a Minnow

Post by Laurencio Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:59 am

Scuba Steve wrote:Front page (don't know if he meant sports page or actual front page) of the New York Times today. The American defensive midfielder they have, Bryan Gerzicich, is meant to be one of the best in the league apparently.

I would imagine several of their players would have to be the best in the league for them to be crushing the establishment. The best part is that they have apparently gotten to this level by investing in youth development. Stories like that put a smile on my face Smile
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:04 am

Haha. That is true. Only reason why I mentioned Bryan is because the guy who covers Americans playing in foreign leagues has watched him and read up on other people's opinion of him and noted that. What really surprised me in the article was when I found out there was at least five tiers of football in Israel. Would have never guessed!

It is quite the story though.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 23, 2024 7:21 pm