Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
Drake
Kuled
Andy
Jordi
Mason
Ben 10
10 posters

Phil Brown leaves Preston North End

Ben 10
    Ben 10

Supports : Preston North End F.C.

Phil Brown leaves Preston North End Empty Phil Brown leaves Preston North End

Post by Ben 10 Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:23 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16178900.stm

Preston North End have parted company with manager Phil Brown after less than a year in charge at Deepdale.

The former Hull boss, 52, was appointed in January but was unable to save them from relegation from the Championship.

They currently lie 10th in the League One table, only five points short of the play-off places.

Assistant boss Brian Horton has also left the club, while Graham Alexander and David Unsworth have been put in temporary charge.

Brown is the 12th English club manager to lose his job this season, his departure having come just eight days after Peter Ridsdale, formerly with Leeds, Barnsley, Cardiff and Plymouth, joined Preston as chairman.

Explaining the decision, Ridsdale said in a statement: "Following relegation we had hoped that we would be in a position to compete for an immediate return to the Championship but, after a promising start, we have only won one of our last 11 league games and weare out of all three cup competitions."

Preston lost 4-2 at home to Colchester on the opening day of the season but, following a 1-1 draw with Scunthorpe in their next game, they then
    embarked on a run of seven successive league wins, taking them to the top of the table.

Their form then deserted them before a 1-0 success at Hartlepool last month provided fans with a lift, but they could only manage a 0-0 draw with Stevenage last Saturday in Brown's final match in charge.

South Shields-born Brown, who clocked up 652 appearances in his playing career with Hartlepool, Halifax, Bolton and Blackpool, had his first taste of management at the Reebok Stadium, where he was put in temporary charge when Colin Todd left the club in 1999.

He then spent six years as Sam Allardyce's assistant before taking his first full-time management position with Derby County. However, it was at Hull where Brown achieved his greatest success, guiding the Tigers to the Premier League via the play-offs at the end of the 2007-08 season, and keeping them in the top flight 12 months later. He was not afraid to be unorthodox, giving his players a finger-wagging pep talk on the pitch at half-time in December 2008 during a match at Manchester City, which they eventually lost 5-1.

His relationship with Hull turned sour when he was put on gardening leave in March 2010 and his exit was confirmed three months later when an undisclosed compensation deal was agreed following reports that Brown was owed £1.4m by the club.

Brown returned to football when he was appointed at Deepdale following the sacking of Darren Ferguson in January 2011, when North End were bottom of the Championship.

Supports : Coventry City

Phil Brown leaves Preston North End Empty Re: Phil Brown leaves Preston North End

Post by Mason Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:25 am

I expected PNE to be up there this season. What manager do you want Ben?
    Ben 10
    Ben 10

Phil Brown leaves Preston North End Empty Re: Phil Brown leaves Preston North End

Post by Ben 10 Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:27 am

Billy Davies.
    Ben 10
    Ben 10

Post by Ben 10 Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:27 am

Oh and we were up there in the first few months, we were top shifty but then overnight we turned shite.
    Jordi
    Jordi

Supports : Saints

Post by Jordi Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:28 am

My word.
    Mason
    Mason

Post by Mason Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:28 am

Ben 10 wrote:Billy Davies.

Didn't he leave Forest because he wanted money for new players? I thought PNE were in a very bad finacial state?
    Andy

Supports : Manchester United

Post by Andy Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:30 am

Jordi wrote:My word.
    Laughing
    Ben 10
    Ben 10

Post by Ben 10 Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:35 am

Billy openly said he still had a job to finish at PNE.

I heard on Monday that Brown would be potted and Davies would be lined up as the new manager. Apparently Brown's position as manager became untannable shifty

These are the odds from skyBet for the next manager

Phil Brown leaves Preston North End Asaas10
    Jordi
    Jordi

Post by Jordi Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:37 am

Brian Horton? Isn't he in the Vicar of Dibley?
    Andy

Post by Andy Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:37 am

Good bet on David Beckham.
    Ben 10
    Ben 10

Post by Ben 10 Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:37 am

Horton should't be on their really he was also potted as Assistant Laughing
    Mason
    Mason

Post by Mason Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:38 am

David Beckham. Phil Brown leaves Preston North End 70955

Sean O'Driscoll would be perfect.
    Jordi
    Jordi

Post by Jordi Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:39 am

Magilton, Ince, Dowie and Blackwell are all good punts IMO.
    Ben 10
    Ben 10

Post by Ben 10 Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:39 am

If we get any of them i'll kill myself.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:40 am

Ben 10 wrote:Oh and we were up there in the first few months, we were top shifty but then overnight we turned shite.

Rotherham United syndrome.
    Jordi
    Jordi

Post by Jordi Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:41 am

Ben 10 wrote:If we get any of them i'll kill myself.
    Prepare the noose then.

You have Ridsdale in charge. rofl
    Kuled

Post by Kuled Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:41 am

Steve Bruce What a Face
    Ben 10
    Ben 10

Post by Ben 10 Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:44 am

Jordi wrote:
    Ben 10 wrote:If we get any of them i'll kill myself.
    Prepare the noose then.

You have Ridsdale in charge. Phil Brown leaves Preston North End 70955

False.

Hemmings is owner Phil Brown leaves Preston North End 225495
    Jordi
    Jordi

Post by Jordi Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:46 am

Peter Ridsdale is the Chairman though, i.e. the man responsible for hiring a new manager.
    Ben 10
    Ben 10

Post by Ben 10 Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:51 am

Hemmings has to agree to it though
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:52 am

If Billy Davies goes to pne facepalm rofl

He's a top quality manager, got Forest to the play-offs several time. You can't go from that to the relegation battles in league 1 Neutral
    Ben 10
    Ben 10

Post by Ben 10 Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:56 am

Jelavic9|RFC wrote:If Billy Davies goes to pne Phil Brown leaves Preston North End 58503 Phil Brown leaves Preston North End 70955

He's a top quality manager, got Forest to the play-offs several time. You can't go from that to the relegation battles in league 1 Neutral

Relegation battles? Phil Brown leaves Preston North End 70955 Phil Brown leaves Preston North End 70955 Phil Brown leaves Preston North End 70955 Phil Brown leaves Preston North End 70955

Already said he hasn;t finished his job at PNE.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:31 am

You want the same Billy Davies that all of your fans call a cunt and sing abusive chants to? rofl

Davies is a top Championship manager whilst PNE are an average League 1 side who received 15 minutes of fame under the legend that is Billy Davies not worthy

Id be gutted to see him in League 1. He should still be at the City Ground Cry
    Drake
    Drake

Post by Drake Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:33 am

Jordi wrote:My word.
    rofl

Shocked to hear the news when i was in B&Q Neutral

Billy will never come back i expect Paul Ince to be in charge,i met Brown 2 weeks ago at my old School decet bloke and a top manager,i expected him to turn it round.
    coolhead33
    coolhead33

Post by coolhead33 Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:39 am

Blackwell would do good for Preston I think.
    ShakerMatty
    ShakerMatty

Formerly known as : Burytillidie
    Supports : Bury and Salford RLFC

Post by ShakerMatty Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:40 am

Phil Brown leaves Preston North End 3925848005
    Andy

Post by Andy Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:32 am

Skysports.com understands that Paul Ince has already emerged as a leading candidate for the Preston North End job.
    Ben 10
    Ben 10

Post by Ben 10 Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:34 am

Phil Brown leaves Preston North End 58503
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:35 am

I Andy I wrote: Skysports.com understands that Paul Ince has already emerged as a leading candidate for the Preston North End job.

rofl
    Jordi
    Jordi

Post by Jordi Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:40 am

Ince did okay at MK Dons. shifty

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 10:00 am