Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+12
Grenade
El Jefe
thechampion
Theo Filippo
Scouser_Dave
Jord
Lux
ResurrectionRooney
Steadman
Laurencio
The Zlatan
Keanoo
16 posters

Benitez: Fergie success down to money

Keanoo
    Keanoo

Supports : Manchester United

Benitez: Fergie success down to money Empty Benitez: Fergie success down to money

Post by Keanoo Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:59 am

Benitez and Ferguson were Premier League rivals for six seasons, with the pair's relationship in that time somewhat tempestuous.

And ahead of this weekend's clash between United and Liverpool, Benitez has opened up old wounds by questioning Ferguson's influence on the Red Devils' success in an interview with BBC Radio Merseyside.

After it was put to him that Ferguson's personality has been critical in driving United forward, Benitez responded: "No, I think it's the money they were spending. If you analyse the transfer record and the history ... Rooney, or Ferdinand, for example ... £30 million for a young player or a centre back.

"Every year they [United] are very well-off. It's not just because of the interviews or the press conferences; it's because they had money."

Benitez and Ferguson's troubled relationship came to a head during the 2008-09 season, when Liverpool ran United close before the Red Devils pipped them to the Premier League title.

During that campaign, Benitez delivered a pre-prepared critique of his opposite number, listing a series of "facts" that suggested Ferguson influenced both the Premier Leage fixture list and choice of match officials.

But Benitez has once again dismissed the notion that the infamous "facts" press conference was responsible for Liverpool's failure to beat United in the title race.

"To be fair, I didn't like it when the press was talking about mind games because I was just focused on my team, and the things I had to do for the team," Benitez said.

"If you say something in a press conference I can guarantee you that it has no impact on another manager. It can happen perhaps one in one hundred times, but the press likes to talk about mind games, but what they don't realize is that you cannot win mind games if you have a bad team.

"You can be the best in the press conference, but after, if you have a bad team you will lose. It's easy to talk about mind games when he [Ferguson] has a good team and he has won, and that was the case."

rofl
    The Zlatan
    The Zlatan

Benitez: Fergie success down to money Empty Re: Benitez: Fergie success down to money

Post by The Zlatan Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:03 am

Man U are one of the best examples of striking a balance between bringing up players and buying them. Benitez is a fool.
    Laurencio
    Laurencio

Supports : Rosenborg, ManUtd

Benitez: Fergie success down to money Empty Re: Benitez: Fergie success down to money

Post by Laurencio Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:08 am

Benitez trying to be a troll Laughing How great is that.
    Steadman
    Steadman

Supports : I have humor, yes.

Post by Steadman Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:13 am

*waits for some Liverpool fans to say; 'He has a point' or 'Benitez not worthy'.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:17 am

Benitez desperately trying to stay relevant and ingratiate himself with Liverpool fans.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:47 am

Interesting.
    Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

Post by Lux Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:11 am

Considering how much Benitez wasted...this is pretty funny Teeth
    Jord
    Jord

Formerly known as : SUPAH BURNLEY!
    Supports : Liverpool FC

Post by Jord Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:28 am

He's wrong

Benitez not worthy
    Scouser_Dave
    Scouser_Dave

Post by Scouser_Dave Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:31 am

Sir Rafa not worthy
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:43 am

More fucking imaginary knighthoods Rolling Eyes
    Scouser_Dave
    Scouser_Dave

Post by Scouser_Dave Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:56 am

Benitez: Fergie success down to money Respect-the-don1
    The Zlatan
    The Zlatan

Post by The Zlatan Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:57 am

It's funny because Fergie pisses on any Rafa achievement.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:58 am

Scouser_Dave
    Scouser_Dave

Post by Scouser_Dave Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:00 am

Zlatan wrote:It's funny because Fergie pisses on any Rafa achievement.

Possible because he's been in management alot longer than Rafa.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:01 am

He is correct. They have had a massive financial advantage over others for many years. I see nothing laughable there.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:02 am

Benitez seems to forget you have to spend the money on the right players.

This is a guy who spent £272M and couldn't build a squad to get in the top 4, paying stupid sums of money for players like the defender who can't defend Glen Johnson and the glassman Aquilani. Laughing
    The Zlatan
    The Zlatan

Post by The Zlatan Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:05 am

Scouser_Dave wrote:
    Zlatan wrote:It's funny because Fergie pisses on any Rafa achievement.

I'm sure that's not the only reason though is it Dave?
    Keanoo
    Keanoo

Supports : Manchester United

Post by Keanoo Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:05 am

Dan wrote:He is correct. They have had a massive financial advantage over others for many years. I see nothing laughable there.

http://www.liverpool-kop.com/2010/10/exclusive-liverpool-vs-man-united.html
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:05 am

Zlatan wrote:
    Scouser_Dave wrote:

It is. Look at Roy Hodgson. 35 years experience and he is a better manager than Rafa, remember?
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:06 am

Head to Head between Ferguson and Benitez.

I often hear the argument that Ferguson had a better base from which to build, so we will compare from the summer of 2006 onwards, the previous season only 1 point separated Manchester United and Liverpool.

Subsequent success

Sir Alex Ferguson: 3xPremier League Title, 2nd place finish, UEFA Champions League Title, UEFA Champions League Runner Up, 2 Football League Cups, World Championship
    Rafael Benitez: 4th place Finish, 3rd place Finish, 2nd place finish, 7th place finish, UEFA Champions League Runner up

Seems to favour Ferguson rather conclusively. Does anyone have the net spend figures for these seasons?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:07 am

Keanoo wrote:
    Dan wrote:He is correct. They have had a massive financial advantage over others for many years. I see nothing laughable there.

That excluded, Wages, stadium expansion costs, and all that shizzle. What a Face
    The Zlatan
    The Zlatan

Post by The Zlatan Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:07 am

Dan wrote:
    Zlatan wrote:

It is. Look at Roy Hodgson. 35 years experience and he is a better manager than Rafa, remember?

What does Roy Hodgson have to do with it?
    Jord
    Jord

Post by Jord Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:07 am

Rafa will always be the better manager. Only idiots think otherwise.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:07 am

Keanoo wrote:

As you can see from that, a large portion of ours has come from selling players. A risky, but necessary strategy.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:08 am

rofl the fact you started it at 2006 just so Istanbul wouldn't be counted rofl You sad boy.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:08 am

Scott wrote:rofl the fact you started it at 2006 just so Istanbul wouldn't be counted rofl You sad boy.

I started it at Summer 2006 because both teams were building from a roughly equal base.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:08 am

Zlatan wrote:
    Dan wrote:

Everything. Ferguson has been a manager for longer than Rafa, as has Roy Hodgson. I was just simply using a recent example of a manager with plenty of experience ousting Rafa from a job because his experience has made him better.
    The Zlatan
    The Zlatan

Post by The Zlatan Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:09 am

Dan wrote:
    Zlatan wrote:

Everything. Ferguson has been a manager for longer than Rafa, as has Roy Hodgson. I was just simply using a recent example of a manager with plenty of experience ousting Rafa from a job because his experience has made him better.

Wasn't Rafa sacked?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:09 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:
    Scott wrote:rofl the fact you started it at 2006 just so Istanbul wouldn't be counted rofl You sad boy.

I started it at Summer 2006 because both teams were building from a roughly equal base.

Sure you did rofl
    Jord
    Jord

Post by Jord Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:10 am

RR twisting things again Rolling Eyes

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 21, 2024 12:43 am