Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+26
dena
blackskar
Lux
El_indian
Tio Nicci
Carlos Jenkinson
Grenade
SpiritOfShankly
The Zlatan
Coatsy
Uncle John from Jamaica
fluffy_kittens
SBSP
Kuled
Mal
The Bat-Man
Danny
Barton
El Jefe
Jord
Jamie
Cadbury
Theo Filippo
Sean
Scuba Steve
ResurrectionRooney
30 posters

Future of England

ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Future of England Empty Future of England

Post by ResurrectionRooney Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:44 am

I've been looking at England recently, the reasons for the consistent failure, and I've come to the conclusion that not only is it the consistent need to be a hero that people like Gerrard epitomise, it's the divisions between clubs. You look at the Spain side which recently won the World Cup, 5 of the front 6 were Barcelona players, the two centre backs were Barcelona players, the first guy off the bench in time of crisis was a player who knew how to play the Barcelona way. These are guys who have grown up playing in the same way, there are exceptions like Alonso, but they're not really very important, and the other positions that aren't occupied by Barcelona players are not the most important on the field.

You look at the most recent England team though, and what is there

Joe Hart

Johnson Ferdinand Terry Cole

Lampard Parker Wilshere

Walcott Bent Milner

3 limited players from different clubs in the midfield who can hardly play with each other. 3 forwards that are crap, and all play for different teams. And a defence that has one player who can't defend, one who is well past it, and another who can no longer cover for his ageing partner. In addition to this, 5 of the players are around 30 years old, and another one of them starts almost every game when he's fit, England's hero Gerrard. What England need to do from the start of 2012 is introduce a radical overhaul, start the first game of the year like this

Joe Hart

Smalling Jones Ferdinand Cole

Cleverley Carrick Wilshere

Walcott Rooney Young

With these revolutionary changes, England's long term future would be elevated. All of the midfielders are fine passers of the ball, eliminating in one swoop England's problems in retaining possession - two of them player together at club level, and Cleverley and Wilshere would have years to form a partnership as England regulars. Upfront, Rooney and Young will be playing together regularly at club level, forming a partnership that will serve both club and country well. In defence, the ageing John Terry is replaced by the young and powerful Jones, with Chris 'Solid' Smalling replacing the liability Glen Johnson. Ferdinand remains a first choice player due to his exceptional talent, however he too would be phased out, with Liverpool's young defender Martin Kelly coming in on the right, or Manchester City's Micah Richards, with Smalling replacing Jones maintaining the strong partnership and understanding that comes from training with each other week in week out at the centre of defence. Walcott's still crap, but I'm not a miracle worker. Lennon maybe?

Thoughts on my revolutionary ideas?

Last edited by ResurrectionRooney on Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Future of England Empty Re: Future of England

Post by Scuba Steve Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:46 am

Revolutionary chances? No thanks.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:47 am

No.
    Sean

Post by Sean Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:47 am

Carrick is in no way good enough for a team trying to win an international tournament.
    Theo Filippo
    Theo Filippo

Formerly known as : Filippo Inzaghi

Post by Theo Filippo Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:47 am

What other alternatives are there to Walcott think

Cannot disagree with the rest of the team though

Cadbury
    Cadbury

Supports : Not Kenny.

Post by Cadbury Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:48 am

Joe Hart

Kelly Jones Smalling Baines

Cleverley Wilshere Henderson

Sterling Rooney Young

My friend, I have fixed your team.
    Jamie
    Jamie

Supports : That Catalan club

Post by Jamie Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:49 am

Read a good article recently that was saying Spain have a country-wide approach now in how to develop youth players, basically there is 1 style of play promoted across all the top clubs. That along with them having more coaches and coaches who recieve better instructions on how to drill the Spanish style into youth is the reason why they've been so successfully recently. Or so the article says anyway.

Guess that kind of ties in with the thread, England would do well to copy that youth approach.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:50 am

Jamie wrote:Read a good article recently that was saying Spain have a country-wide approach now in how to develop youth players, basically there is 1 style of play promoted across all the top clubs. That along with them having more coaches and coaches who recieve better instructions on how to drill the Spanish style into youth is the reason why they've been so successfully recently. Or so the article says anyway.

Guess that kind of ties in with the thread, England would do well to copy that youth approach.
    They have.

Most English clubs promote mindless physical hoofball. Mischief
    Jord
    Jord

Formerly known as : SUPAH BURNLEY!
    Supports : Liverpool FC

Post by Jord Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:50 am

My future England team would be something along the lines of:
    Hart
    Kelly - Smalling - Jones - Baines
    ???(Henderson maybe) - Cleverly -Wilshere
    ??? - Rooney - Young

The ???'s are the positions where I still feel we don't have top class players. Also the reason I didn't actually put Henderson is because that midfield is very attacking. Wilshere could play the defensive role like he does for Arsenal, but It's still not completely reliable. We'll have to wait and see.
    El Jefe
    El Jefe

Formerly known as : Jay
    Supports : Pixie Lott's Legs

Post by El Jefe Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:50 am

Chris 'Solid' Smalling, what kind of a shit nickname is that? Laughing
    Sean

Post by Sean Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:51 am

Its crazy how Smalling has just become accepted as a RB now, no even bedding in process, he was able to slot in to that position like he's played there his whole career.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:51 am

Sean wrote:Carrick is in no way good enough for a team trying to win an international tournament.

Future of England 260

Cadbury wrote:
    Joe Hart

Kelly Jones Smalling Baines

Cleverley Wilshere Henderson

Sterling Rooney Young

My friend, I have fixed your team.
    Baines is a decent player, but Ashley Cole is far better for the moment. There's no sense in playing him when Cole's better, there'll be no real benefits in terms of forming a partnership. Dumping Ferdinand, again, I don't see the benefit, it won't help Jones and Smalling's partnership much considering they'll be training together every day, and probably playing together every week before too long, and Smalling is certainly a better option than Kelly at RB.

Henderson I'm wholly unconvinced by, and Sterling, has he even made his debut?
    Cadbury
    Cadbury

Post by Cadbury Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:53 am

Sterling's better than everyone tbf.
    Sean

Post by Sean Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:53 am

Can you honestly say Carrick was a major contributor in winning that Champions League?
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:53 am

Jord wrote:My future England team would be something along the lines of:
    Hart
    Kelly - Smalling - Jones - Baines
    ???(Henderson maybe) - Cleverly -Wilshere
    ??? - Rooney - Young

The ???'s are the positions where I still feel we don't have top class players. Also the reason I didn't actually put Henderson is because that midfield is very attacking. Wilshere could play the defensive role like he does for Arsenal, but It's still not completely reliable. We'll have to wait and see.

Well mine's more for the immediate future, obviously Rio isn't going to last very long, but that's the team we should be going into EURO 2012 with if everyone's fit. Will stand us in very good stead for the future, and give us a reasonable chance at winning it.
    Theo Filippo
    Theo Filippo

Post by Theo Filippo Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:53 am

Carrick is exactly what England has been missing for the past years he should be playing instead of mindless thugs like Gerrard who do their best to encourage hoofball.
    Barton

Formerly known as : JMB_94

Post by Barton Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:53 am

It's not Revolutionary at all, i was thinking the same thing the other day with all the young players coming through at Man United. Installing that chemistry in the England national team would be a great idea. Not sure about Carrick, but England are really lacking in holding midfielders.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:55 am

Cadbury wrote:Sterling's better than everyone tbf.

He has never played for Liverpool and he should never play for England, no matter how good he is.
    Jamie
    Jamie

Supports : That Catalan club

Post by Jamie Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:55 am

http://www.thehardtackle.com/2011/the-success-of-spain-a-lesson-for-every-football-nation/

That is the article I was talking about if you want to read it, I enjoyed it anyway but then I'm a Spanish bumboy.
    Jord
    Jord

Formerly known as : SUPAH BURNLEY!
    Supports : Liverpool FC

Post by Jord Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:56 am

Wouldn't Smalling be better used in the centre? I mean there really isn't anything wrong with Kelly and I'm sure he'll show that once gets his chance(rumors were that he was going to be called up before he got his little knock in the Bolton match). Like I said though, all in due time and we'll see when 2014 comes.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:56 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:

He has never played for Liverpool and he should never play for England, no matter how good he is.

He has lived in England for 15 years, why not?
    Danny
    Danny

Post by Danny Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:56 am

England need a defensive midfielder to come through. Dry Smile
    The Bat-Man
    The Bat-Man

Supports : The Voyeur

Post by The Bat-Man Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:57 am

I'd say move Smalling to centre half and put Richards right back, dropping Jones, that being the only formation change, Smalling seems much more set to handling international football than Jones, a lot calmer in a sense, Walcott is actually a good choice, knowing Rooney he'll drop into the hole a lot and what better 'winger' is there to tuck in and play as an inside forward, Rooney to supply him passes to score.

The pairing of Cleverley and is a fantastic one because they share many important aspects but differ if other important ones, both great passers and both very mobile, Wilshere's got the silkier touch but Cleverley has the movement and instinct to bomb forward from midfield, not only to score but assist too, so the 1-2s where Cleverley lays off a simple ball to Wilshere, darts forward, Wilshere controls it and moves away from any marker simultaneous instantly creating a passing lane to get it back to Cleverley, he weights the pass back brilliantly to Cleverly who is in a dangerous position, then Cleverly score and the crowd go wild.

I don't rate Carrick highly but he'll do.

You could try Walcott on the left and Downing on the right too.
    Theo Filippo
    Theo Filippo

Post by Theo Filippo Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:57 am

If Frimpong stops being silly and plays for England instead of contemplating Ghana then we could possibly have that sorted. (Defensive midfield)
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:58 am

Jord wrote:Wouldn't Smalling be better used in the centre? I mean there really isn't anything wrong with Kelly and I'm sure he'll show that once gets his chance(rumors were that he was going to be called up before he got his little knock in the Bolton match). Like I said though, all in due time and we'll see when 2014 comes.
    I don't think so, Ferdinand is still better. There might not be anything wrong with Kelly, but Smalling would be preferable. Playing with 3 central defenders offers a massive advantage when defending set pieces, particularly when you aren't employing a large forward.
    Dan wrote:

He has lived in England for 15 years, why not?
    Because he isn't English.
    Mal
    Mal

Post by Mal Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:58 am

Jord wrote:Wouldn't Smalling be better used in the centre? I mean there really isn't anything wrong with Kelly and I'm sure he'll show that once gets his chance(rumors were that he was going to be called up before he got his little knock in the Bolton match). Like I said though, all in due time and we'll see when 2014 comes.

You do realise he's being biased?
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:58 am

The Bat-Man wrote:I'd say move Smalling to centre half and put Richards right back, dropping Jones, that being the only formation change, Smalling seems much more set to handling international football than Jones, a lot calmer in a sense, Walcott is actually a good choice, knowing Rooney he'll drop into the hole a lot and what better 'winger' is there to tuck in and play as an inside forward, Rooney to supply him passes to score.

The pairing of Cleverley and is a fantastic one because they share many important aspects but differ if other important ones, both great passers and both very mobile, Wilshere's got the silkier touch but Cleverley has the movement and instinct to bomb forward from midfield, not only to score but assist too, so the 1-2s where Cleverley lays off a simple ball to Wilshere, darts forward, Wilshere controls it and moves away from any marker simultaneous instantly creating a passing lane to get it back to Cleverley, he weights the pass back brilliantly to Cleverly who is in a dangerous position, then Cleverly score and the crowd go wild.

I don't rate Carrick highly but he'll do.

You could try Walcott on the left and Downing on the right too.

Downing is shit, why would I have him over Young?
    Cadbury
    Cadbury

Post by Cadbury Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:59 am

Racist!
    Danny
    Danny

Post by Danny Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:59 am

Drop Jones? Dry Smile
    The Bat-Man
    The Bat-Man

Supports : The Voyeur

Post by The Bat-Man Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:59 am

you can't ask Wilshere to be a holding midfielder, that's a horrible waste of talent, Henderson doesn't have a place in the team, I rate Cleverley higher, if he's injured then Henderson might get a sniff.

As for the DM, I was thinking Frimpong but he chose Ghana, who in all fairness are the better nation.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 8:29 am