Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

This Saturday

SussexByTheSea
    SussexByTheSea

Supports : Brighton and Hove Albion

This Saturday Empty This Saturday

Post by SussexByTheSea Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:09 pm

Is one of the biggest days in the history of Brighton and Hove Albion football club. In 1997 the Goldstone Ground was sold deceitfully, by owners in to make a quick buck. Without there financial backing, we only managed to stay in the football league that season by drawing the last game of the season, with a 1-1 draw at Hereford. After an early own goal from Kerry Mayo, most Brighton fans though our 77 year career in the football league was over, but in the dying moments, Robbie Reinelt scored a goal that secured his place in the Albion history books, (and on the legends wall at the new stadium). After the Sale of the Goldstone, the football league approved a ground share with Gillingham, 70 miles away at the Preistfield Stadium. The poor form continued for the next season, only made safe from the drop due to Doncaster's exceptionally poor form. After another season at gillingham finishing 17th, we were finally relocated back home. The Withdean Stadium, a converted athletics track, with no roof, surrounded by trees and and facilities not fit for a football ground. We were happy to be Home, but it wasn't the permanent stadium we craved. With little money after funding the stands and landscaping to be done at Withdean, avid fan and celebrity DJ Fatboy Slim stepped in to sponsor the kit with his own record label Skint. For over half the time at the athletics track Brighton fans were campaigning for a new permanent home. The campaign was long and hard, with sit in protests, a visit to downing street by Des Lynham and Norman Cook, and numerous planning applications, but in late 2007 the Stadium was finally given the go ahead and construction began. Meanwhile on the pitch, the Withdean had up and downs. Promotions, relegations, 93rd minute winners, beating giants Man City in the cup, it had it all, however the final season at our temporary home was arguably the best. With new manager Gus Poyet on board, a new chairman in the form of Millionaire Tony Bloom, the club had the knowledge and financial stability to buy very good players, for the league one level. Gus took us to promotion in a thrilling 4-3 win against Dagenham and Redbridge, and the last ever pitch invasion at the Withdean ensued, with the 7,500 sell out home capacity in raptures. The 1st place trophy was then won a week later at Walsall, crowning off a Withdean era which those who experienced it will never forget. Since the Yes decision in 2007 for the site at Falmer, the stadium was well on its way to completion by now with only the seats and pitch left to finish. The close season gave Poyet chances to look for more players and when the transfer window opened, Will Buckley, Will Hoskins, Craig Mackail Smith, Roland Berkamp and Kazenga Lua Lua all signed, some for club record fees. And that brings us to now. This saturday is the first "proper" game at the Stadium. It will be a highly emotional ocassion for all fans, especially those who followed the club to Gillingham and through the Withdean years, and in part its my emotions that have persuaded me to share our story with you. Our 22,500 seater stadium is incredible, I know I'm gonna be biased and whatever, but it is truely amazing. Im absolutely buzzing for Saturday and when the team walks out to Sussex By The Sea for the first league game, against Doncaster (who were the last opponents at the Goldstone), it will feel like we are properly Home.

This Saturday 0,,10433~9843065,00

Thanks for reading, I have probably, made gramatical errors and missed something but I have condensed it down a bit so its a little less boring Smile
    Kuled

This Saturday Empty Re: This Saturday

Post by Kuled Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:11 pm

is my birthday
    CollieBuddz
    CollieBuddz

Post by CollieBuddz Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:15 pm

The story gave me a warm feeling in my balls.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:50 pm

Thanks for reminding me of that terrible day , apparently the terrace had fully grown men crying Cry

I was in the stand but can't remember much of the game but everyone thought that was it for our club, and Brighton fans got jumped in the cattle market after.

BTW the game is on youtube.

Cry

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 1:24 am