Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
luke.
SBSP
Pippo
Weather130
8 posters

National Champions in Europe

Weather130
    Weather130

National Champions in Europe - Page 2 Empty Skënderbeu take Albanian title

Post by Weather130 Fri May 06, 2011 12:39 pm

KS Skënderbeu have won their first Albanian title since 1933, with a 1-0 win against KS Elbasani on Wednesday ensuring that KS Flamurtari can no longer deny the Korce side top spot.

National Champions in Europe - Page 2 1627487_w2
    Skënderbeu celebrate winning the 2010/11 Albanian title

KS Skënderbeu have been confirmed as the new champions of Albania, with a 1-0 win against KS Elbasani on Wednesday night giving them an unassailable lead at the top of the table with one game to go.

With 14 wins and three draws in their last 17 league games, Skënderbeu managed to seize top spot from early-season pacesetters KS Flamurtari, turning on the style after Shpetim Duro replaced Shkelqim Muca as coach in the 21st round of fixtures. The new boss oversaw a 1-0 defeat of Flamurtari in his first game and has won 11 of his 12 games in charge, dropping his only points in a 0-0 draw against KS Besa.

Founded in 1909, Korce-based Skënderbeu are the oldest club in Albanian football. The Snow Wolves won their only previous title in 1933 and will be featuring in the UEFA Champions League for the first time next season.

First league title since 1933, wow! Must really feel awesome for the lifelong supporters of the club who most likely have never seen a league championship. I really think that none of them expected this because last season they had to win a relegation playoff to stay in the top league. The stats with one game left, 23-4-5 with 52 goals scored and 22 goals against.
    fluffy_kittens
    fluffy_kittens

National Champions in Europe - Page 2 Empty Re: National Champions in Europe

Post by fluffy_kittens Fri May 06, 2011 3:52 pm

Shaktar didnt win the Ukranian league yet? or did no one post about it
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Sat May 07, 2011 4:46 am

fluffy_kittens wrote:Shaktar didnt win the Ukranian league yet? or did no one post about it
    They have all but locked up the league without a massive choke job. They have an 8 points lead with 3 games left.
    fluffy_kittens
    fluffy_kittens

Post by fluffy_kittens Sat May 07, 2011 1:44 pm

Weather130 wrote:
    fluffy_kittens wrote:Shaktar didnt win the Ukranian league yet? or did no one post about it
    They have all but locked up the league without a massive choke job. They have an 8 points lead with 3 games left.

I see
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Tue May 10, 2011 11:02 am

Well I think we all know that Milan are champions of Italy so no story is needed here but I will still provide all of the stats. With two games left Milan are 23-9-4 with 61 goals scored and 23 goals against.
    Weather130
    Weather130

National Champions in Europe - Page 2 Empty Derby success confirms sixth title for Shakhtar

Post by Weather130 Tue May 10, 2011 11:16 am

FC Shakhtar Donetsk president Rinat Akhmetov is targeting further success in Europe after his side were crowned Ukrainian champions for the sixth time with a 2-0 win against FC Metalurh Donetsk.

FC Shakhtar Donetsk have been crowned Ukrainian champions for the sixth time, following a 2-0 victory against FC Metalurh Donetsk at the Donbass Arena.

In a tight second-city derby, Luiz Adriano made the breakthrough with a goal in added time at the end of the first half. It was his tenth Ukrainian Premier League strike of the season and went some way to easing the nerves of the home supporters, whose side had succumbed to a 3-0 defeat at second-placed FC Dynamo Kyiv on 1 May.

Dynamo had applied more pressure earlier in today by winning 2-1 at FC Karpaty Lviv to reduce Shakhtar's advantage to five points. However, the defending champions responded in style, sealing their 2-0 success, and an unassailable league position, through captain Darijo Srna's late goal. Defender Yaroslav Rakitskiy said: "I hope our fans will forgive us for the Dynamo Kyiv defeat. It was really hard psychologically after that."

Shakhtar president Rinat Akhmetov added: "I've always underlined that the title is not the main goal. The title is a thing that gives us a place in the Champions League. The serious work is only just beginning. It's really important for us to do well in Europe and show our best there. I believe, step by step, we'll come to win the Champions League."

It has been a memorable season for the Miners, who reached the UEFA Champions League quarter-finals for the first time, before losing 6-1 on aggregate to FC Barcelona, and Mircea Lucescu's side remain on course for a domestic double.

Shakhtar face FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk in the Ukrainian Cup semi-finals on 11 May, and Rakitskiy added: "Now we have to think about Dnipro. I want to meet Dynamo in the final. I think it would be very different there."
    With two games left Shakhtar are 23-1-4 with 52 goals scored and 15 goals against.
    Pippo
    Pippo

Formerly known as : Pippo Inzaghi

Post by Pippo Wed May 11, 2011 2:59 am

Gegilworld93 wrote:Is this really necessary? Azerbaijani league?
    Then I expect a big report about the Swiss league National Champions in Europe - Page 2 225495

Yes, it is neccesary. FC Baku would be a mid table-top team in Switzerland. Wink
    Gegilworld93
    Gegilworld93

Supports : Arsenal FC, FC Winterthur

Post by Gegilworld93 Wed May 11, 2011 3:18 am

Pip wrote:
    Then I expect a big report about the Swiss league National Champions in Europe - Page 2 225495

Yes, it is neccesary. FC Baku would be a mid table-top team in Switzerland. Wink
    Lol, I very much doubt it Laughing
    maybe in the Challenge league Wink
    Pippo
    Pippo

Post by Pippo Wed May 11, 2011 3:25 am

Gegilworld93 wrote:
    Pip wrote:

Lol, I very much doubt it Laughing
    maybe in the Challenge league Wink

They have Mpenza and Adnan Barakat, aswell as some Brazillians.
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Wed May 11, 2011 4:16 am

Pip wrote:

Baku has four teams in the top division I think it is not right to call one of them FC Baku especially since that is not the offical name for any other those teams. I wonder what these guys would think if they had to go to Liechtenstein to play against FC Vaduz because it would probably be the nicest country these guys have ever been to. BTW their is a team named FK Baku and they finished 6th this year. I imagine they would struggle in the Challenge League.
    Pippo
    Pippo

Post by Pippo Wed May 11, 2011 4:38 am

I meant Inter Baku.

Azerbaijan is nice btw.
    Weather130
    Weather130

National Champions in Europe - Page 2 Empty Barcelona win Liga title at Levante

Post by Weather130 Sat May 14, 2011 2:30 am

UEFA Champions League finalists FC Barcelona gained the point they required at Levante UD to secure the club's 21st Liga crown, Seydou Keita scoring in a 1-1 draw.

FC Barcelona have been crowned Liga champions for the third successive season, and 21st time overall, following a 1-1 draw at Levante UD.

Needing a point to secure the title, Josep Guardiola's team took the lead on 28 minutes when Seydou Keita headed in a measured chip forward from Xavi Hernández. Levante, unbeaten at home since 9 January, levelled as a result of two lapses in the Azulgrana defence. Gerard Piqué failed to cut out a ball over the top and when goalkeeper Víctor Valdés tried to clear, he merely succeeded in teeing up Felipe Caicedo.

Winning the league at the Estadi Ciutat de València is nothing new for Barcelona. Under Frank Rijkaard in May 2005 the Catalan team wrapped up the title there with a 1-1 draw, Samuel Eto'o equalising in the second half.

Elsewhere, fourth-placed Villarreal CF drew 0-0 against relegated UD Almería. That result meant Valencia CF could have been confirmed as finishing third with two matches remaining if they had beaten RCD Espanyol, for whom Ernesto Galán rescued a 2-2 draw late on.

Hércules CF, meanwhile, have been relegated following a 2-2 draw with RCD Mallorca.
    I am slightly surprised that no one has posted anything like this yet. Here, as always are the stats. With two games to play Barcelona are 29-5-2 with 92 goals scored and 20 goals against.
    Weather130
    Weather130

National Champions in Europe - Page 2 Empty Champions Videoton proud of historic success

Post by Weather130 Sat May 14, 2011 2:35 am

Midfielder Attila Polonkai said "the management, staff and whole squad worked hard to achieve this" after 1985 UEFA Cup finalists Videoton FC won their first Hungarian title.

Videoton FC have been crowned Hungarian champions for the first time following a 3-1 home victory over Kaposvári Rákóczi FC.

The 1985 UEFA Cup finalists, who have an unassailable eight-point lead over Paksi SE with two games remaining, have topped the First League since the seventh round of fixtures in late September. The Szekesfehervar team's most notable achievement on the domestic stage had been their Hungarian Cup triumph of 2006 while Real Madrid CF beat them 3-1 on aggregate in their only European final appearance.

Nemanja Nikolić, Attila Polonkai and Dénes Szakály were on target against Kaposvár as Videoton recorded their 17th league victory of the season. "The management, staff and the whole squad worked hard to achieve this great result," said Polonkai, a former Hungarian international. "It was a product of real team-work and we are very proud of this historic success."
    With two games left Videoton are 17-7-4 with 57 goals scored and 27 goals against.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Sat May 14, 2011 9:04 am

England and Scotland will both most likely be decided tomorrow. eek2

Cry
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Mon May 16, 2011 3:10 pm

Well I have not mentioned Ajax winning in the Netherlands but I am a little lazy at the moment so here are the stats. Ajax finished 22-7-5 with 72 goals scored and 30 goals against.
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Mon May 16, 2011 3:18 pm

If you are here and do not know that Manchester United has won the premier league you must be living under a rock. So no article here just the stats. With one game left Manchester United are 22-11-4 with 74 goals scored and 35 goals against.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Mon May 16, 2011 3:23 pm

SBSP wrote:England and Scotland will both most likely be decided tomorrow. eek2

Cry
    Yep. Fuck you

Rangers finished 30-3-5 with 88 for and 29 against. Gun
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Mon May 16, 2011 3:26 pm

Walter Smith brought down the curtain on his second spell as manager with a domestic double as Rangers claimed their third Scottish Premier League title in succession after cruising to an emphatic 5-1 victory at Kilmarnock.

• Smith: Now is the right time to go

The Scottish champions knew a win would secure the silverware and add to the Co-operative Insurance Cup already secured this term, regardless of events at Celtic Park, and this match was effectively over as a contest after just seven minutes.

Kyle Lafferty, who had netted in the last two title deciders, was on target again this time around, helping himself to a hat-trick, with Steven Naismith and Nikica Jelavic also on the scoresheet on the day dubbed Helicopter Sunday.

The win means veteran boss Smith signs off with 10 championships, and a total of 21 trophies, over his two spells at the Ibrox helm, as he now makes way for Ally McCoist to take over the reigns.

Smith named an unchanged side for the fifth time in a row for the visit to Rugby Park, while Kilmarnock were without star man Alexei Eremenko through suspension and drafted Mehdi Taouil into the side as his replacement.

Rangers needed an early goal to settle the nerves and enjoyed the best possible start to the game when they surged ahead with just 47 seconds on the clock.

Steven Davis released Lafferty and he lofted high over the reach of goalkeeper Cammy Bell and into the back of the net from the edge of the box.

The Ibrox side were celebrating again with five minutes gone. This time, Gregg Wylde played the ball to Naismith, who took a touch before lashing home.

The second goal was marred slightly by the sight of a supporter invading the pitch, although he was quickly apprehended by police and stewards.

The goals kept coming and the champions extended their lead further two minutes later when Jelavic set up Lafferty to sidefoot past the helpless Bell and claim his second of the day.

Rangers could have added to their tally when Steven Whittaker raced down the right flank before picking out Naismith and he touched on for Jelavic, but his flick was deflected wide of target.

At the other end, Kilmarnock could have pulled a goal back when James Dayton tried his luck with a shot that goalkeeper Allan McGregor did well to block.

Only the woodwork prevented Walter Smith's men from heading into the interval with a bigger advantage after Davis saw his ferocious strike crash off the post.

McGregor was called into action on the stroke of half-time and was again up to the task, this time denying Craig Bryson.

Rangers' start to the second half was almost as impressive as their explosive opening spell to the game, as they notched up another two goals within eight minutes of the restart.

Jelavic contributed to the goals haul after 49 minutes when he was tripped just outside the area by Manuel Pascali and brushed himself off to send a swerving free-kick into the top corner.

Naismith then embarked on surging run before slotting into the path of Lafferty to stroke home and claim his hat-trick with 53 minutes gone.

Kilmarnock did manage to pull a goal back after 65 minutes when Dayton's free-kick took a deflection off the wall and hit the post before finding the back of the net.

Rangers hit the woodwork again when Naismith's shot bounced off the crossbar, before Lafferty ballooned the rebound over.

The celebrations had already been under way for some time, but the majority of Rugby Park erupted when the final whistle sounded and confirmed that Rangers had retained their SPL crown.
    It was nice to see a few leagues determined on the last day as what we have is a very exciting day. The stats for Rangers are the following 30-3-5 with 88 goals scored and 29 goals for.
    Weather130
    Weather130

National Champions in Europe - Page 2 Empty Wisła reclaim Polish crown

Post by Weather130 Mon May 16, 2011 3:31 pm

Wisła Kraków have sealed their 13th Polish league title after Maor Melikson scored the only goal of their derby with MKS Cracovia Kraków to leave them ten points clear with three games to go.

Wisła Kraków have wrapped up their 13th Polish title with three games to spare following a 1-0 derby success at home against neighbours MKS Cracovia Kraków.

Wisła needed victory to reclaim the crown they last won in 2008/09 and they achieved it thanks to Maor Melikson's 17th-minute strike. The Israel international headed in from Patryk Małecki's corner to leave his side ten points clear of nearest challengers WKS Śląsk Wroclaw after 27 matches, while compounding the problems of second-bottom Cracovia.

"I think it was the worst game we've played this season, but it doesn't matter," commented victorious coach Robert Maaskant, who took the reins at the club late last August. "We are celebrating at the moment. Being champions feels really fantastic."

Wisła had announced before the game that, whatever the eventual result, any celebrations would be postponed until after the final fixture of the season against KSP Polonia Warszawa. The players could not resist savouring their triumph on the pitch after the final whistle, however, with their supporters applauding and cheering on from the stands.

"It's a huge joy," added Małecki, scorer of seven goals this term. "We deserve the title. The beginning of the season wasn't easy for me. I had to show the coach that I deserved a place in the starting XI. Today's victory tastes even better because it came in the derby."
    So with three games left Wisla are 16-5-6 with 41 goals scored and 25 goals against
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Mon May 16, 2011 3:32 pm

Dry Smile
    Weather130
    Weather130

National Champions in Europe - Page 2 Empty Champions Dacia arrest Sheriff's streak

Post by Weather130 Mon May 16, 2011 3:40 pm

FC Sheriff's run of ten consecutive Moldovan titles has come to an end after FC Dacia Chisinau won 1-0 at FC Costuleni to remain nine points clear with two matches remaining.

FC Dacia Chisinau ended ten years of FC Sheriff dominance in Moldova by taking their first domestic title.

A 1-0 win at FC Costuleni ensured the capital side maintained their nine-point lead over Sheriff with two matches to go. Dacia only needed a draw from Friday's game but Igor Dobrovolski's men claimed a victory and a place in UEFA Champions League qualifying thanks to Ghenadie Orbu's goal ten minutes into the second half.

"It is joy and relief," Orbu told UEFA.com after the final whistle. "From the start of the season I believed that we were capable of beating Sheriff. We did it thanks to our will and hard work. I would like to thank all our supporters from deep within my heart."

"It's the first time we have become champions and I'm extremely happy," added Georgian midfielder Levan Korgalidze. "We won beacause we have a great team where everyone backs each other up. I want to thank everyone who supported us. Let's hope it's not the last title for us."

Dacia will be presented with the trophy and on 22 May in Chisinau after the final game against CF Gagauziya Comrat.
    Well it looks like the FC Sheriff dynasty in Moldova is now officially over. With two games left Dacia Chişinău are 25-11-1 with 62 goals scored and 16 goals against.
    Weather130
    Weather130

National Champions in Europe - Page 2 Empty Zestafoni claim maiden Georgian crown

Post by Weather130 Mon May 16, 2011 3:50 pm

Having guided FC Zestafoni to a first league title, Giorgi Geguchadze trained his focus on the UEFA Champions League, saying: "It's very pleasing to win but we can't dwell on celebrating."

FC Zestafoni have been crowned Georgian champions for the first time with two matches to spare following a 4-1 win against FC Samtredia.

Knowing victory would preserve their six-point lead over FC Dinamo Tbilisi and ensure a bigger number of wins as a tiebreaker in the event of the teams finishing level, Zestafoni surged forward from the off. They were 3-0 up before the break though Nikoloz Gelashvili, Jaba Dvali and Giorgi Oniani.

Substitute Rati Tsinamdzgvrishvili made it 4-0 late on, with Akaki Dvalishvili's goal nothing more than consolation for Samtredia, who have been relegated.

The success was also a maiden championship for Zestafoni coach Giorgi Geguchadze, who had previously won the Georgian Cup with Dinamo Tbilisi. "Of course it is very pleasing to win the title but we cannot dwell in celebration," he said. "We are now facing UEFA Champions League qualification and we do not have much time to prepare."

FC Olimpi Rustavi, the 2010 champions, will definitely finish third after unexpectedly losing 1-0 at lowly FC Kolkheti Poti, who are five points clear of the relegation zone as a result. Dinamo Tbilisi, meanwhile, defeated FC Sioni Bolnisi 1-0.
    With two games left Zestafoni are 23-6-5 with 68 goals scored and 18 goals against.
    Weather130
    Weather130

National Champions in Europe - Page 2 Empty Iron discipline gives Oţelul wings in Romania

Post by Weather130 Mon May 16, 2011 4:18 pm

Unfancied FC Oţelul Galaţi top Romania's Liga I as they face second-placed FC Timişoara this weekend but coach Dorinel Munteanu said: "Nobody is allowed to talk about the title."

To say FC Oţelul Galaţi's march to the top of the Romanian table is a shock is almost an understatement. They are dependent on home-grown talent, are one of only four sides in the 18-team Liga I without floodlights, and have one of the division's lowest budgets – so low that captain Gabriel Paraschiv and several team-mates offered to take wage cuts to help the club out in the global recession.

However, through a combination of modesty and prodigious effort, the team led by Romania's most-capped player Dorinel Munteanu have seized the initiative, winning ten of their 15 league games – three more than any other side. Even so, in a move that mirrors FC Unirea Urziceni's surprise 2009 title success, they refuse to discuss the championship.

"Nobody is allowed to speak about the title," reiterated 134-cap former midfielder Munteanu. "There is a long way to go. We have to live for the moment, focus on the next match and get as many points as possible. The key is continuity, stability and hard work. I hope at the end of the season we will be appreciated for what we do."

From the banks of the Danube in eastern Romania, Oţelul – literally 'steel' – have had little recognition in terms of silverware since their foundation in 1964: no league titles and no Romanian Cups. Their best top-flight finish was sixth in 2006/07, while the bulk of their squad have little or no experience of success with other clubs.

Indeed, 15 of Munteanu's players either came through the ranks or joined Oţelul as teenagers, yet that has proved a plus if anything: the 42-year-old former 1. FC Köln and VfL Wolfsburg player has been allowed to mould eager players in his own unpretentious, disciplined and industrious template.

Oţelul do not have stars – only captain Paraschiv and centre-back Sergiu Costin were well-known in Romania before now – but their talents are fast gaining interest. National-team boss Răzvan Lucescu gave defender Cornel Râpă, 20, and left-back cum midfielder Silviu Ilie, 22, first call-ups for this week's friendly against Italy.

With the big Bucharest clubs again failing to convince – third-placed FC Rapid Bucureşti are the highest ranked – Oţelul's acid test comes with Sunday's visit to unbeaten FC Timişoara, who are second. If two recent home draws suggest Oţelul are tiring with the winter break just four games away, Munteanu will doubtless be urging his players to squeeze out that final reserve of energy.

Club president Marius Stan, once a decent league player himself, knows that with success comes pressure. "I am sure at the very least people will pay attention to us," he said. "That is why it will be much harder for us."
    It is nice to see a team win a major league on a shoestring buget. These clubs are rare but prove that money does not buy championships. With one game left Oţelul Galaţi are 20-7-6 with 45 goals scored and 25 goals against.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon May 16, 2011 9:59 pm

Weather130 wrote:
    Wisła Kraków have sealed their 13th Polish league title after Maor Melikson scored the only goal of their derby with MKS Cracovia Kraków to leave them ten points clear with three games to go.

Wisła Kraków have wrapped up their 13th Polish title with three games to spare following a 1-0 derby success at home against neighbours MKS Cracovia Kraków.

Wisła needed victory to reclaim the crown they last won in 2008/09 and they achieved it thanks to Maor Melikson's 17th-minute strike. The Israel international headed in from Patryk Małecki's corner to leave his side ten points clear of nearest challengers WKS Śląsk Wroclaw after 27 matches, while compounding the problems of second-bottom Cracovia.

"I think it was the worst game we've played this season, but it doesn't matter," commented victorious coach Robert Maaskant, who took the reins at the club late last August. "We are celebrating at the moment. Being champions feels really fantastic."

Wisła had announced before the game that, whatever the eventual result, any celebrations would be postponed until after the final fixture of the season against KSP Polonia Warszawa. The players could not resist savouring their triumph on the pitch after the final whistle, however, with their supporters applauding and cheering on from the stands.

"It's a huge joy," added Małecki, scorer of seven goals this term. "We deserve the title. The beginning of the season wasn't easy for me. I had to show the coach that I deserved a place in the starting XI. Today's victory tastes even better because it came in the derby."
    So with three games left Wisla are 16-5-6 with 41 goals scored and 25 goals against
    yippee yippee yippee yippee yippee yippee yippee
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Tue May 17, 2011 2:14 am

Something interesting to note here is that so far only the Eredivisie, SPL, and the Welsh Premier League were decided on the final day of the season. In the Eredivisie and Welsh Premier League the 1st and 2nd place teams played each other on the last day.
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Tue May 17, 2011 2:29 am

Since we have 2 pages now I thought it would be a good idea to repost this;

Faroe Islands: Havnar Bóltfelag 21st championship
    Northern Ireland: Linfield 50th championship
    Luxembourg: F91 Dudelange 18th championship
    Andorra: FC Santa Coloma 6th championship
    Malta: Valletta F.C. 20th championship
    Cyprus: APOEL F.C. 21st championship
    Norway: Rosenborg 22nd championship
    Sweden: Malmö FF 19th championship
    Croatia: Dinamo Zagreb 17th championship
    Belarus: BATE 7th championship
    Republic of Ireland: Shamrock Rovers 16th championship
    Finland: HJK 23rd championship
    Lithunania: FK Ekranas 6th championship
    Latvia: Skonto FC 15th championship
    Iceland: Breiðablik 1st championship
    Kazakhstan: FC Tobol 1st championship
    Estonia: FC Flora 8th championship
    Armenia: Pyunik 13th championship
    Denmark: FC København 9th championship
    Russia: Zenit Saint Petersburg 3rd championship
    Portugal: FC Porto 25th championship
    Greece: Olympiacos 38th championship
    Germany: Borussia Dortmund 7th championship
    Azerbaijan: Neftchi Baku PFC 6th championship
    Wales: Bangor City 3rd championship
    Albania: KF Skënderbeu Korçë 2nd championship
    Italy: Milan 18th championship
    Ukraine: Shakhtar Donetsk 6th championship
    Spain: Barcelona 21st championship
    Hungary: Videoton 1st championship
    England: Manchester United 19th championship
    Romania: Oţelul Galaţi 1st championship
    Netherlands: Ajax 30th championship
    Scotland: Rangers 54th championship
    Poland: Wisła Kraków 13th championship
    Moldova: Dacia Chişinău 1st championship
    Georgia: Zestafoni 1st championship
    Belgium: Racing Genk 3rd championship
    Israel: Maccabi Haifa 12th championship
    Republic of Macedonia: KF Shkëndija 79 1st championship

Last edited by Weather130 on Thu May 19, 2011 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
    Pippo
    Pippo

Post by Pippo Tue May 17, 2011 4:17 am

I'm still in shock that Bredablik won Surprised.
    Weather130
    Weather130

National Champions in Europe - Page 2 Empty Genk pip Standard to Belgian title

Post by Weather130 Thu May 19, 2011 2:26 am

KRC Genk have secured their third Belgian title following a 1-1 draw against R. Standard de Liège, with coach Frank Vercauteren saying: "In the end we got what we deserved."

KRC Genk have taken the Belgian title for a third time with a 1-1 draw against R. Standard de Liège in the final game of the end-of-season play-offs.

Genk finished the regular season in second place on 64 points, one less than RSC Anderlecht, while Standard had amassed 49 points in sixth spot. With points from those first 30 games halved, Genk started the play-offs with 32 points while Standard's total was rounded up to 25, on the understanding that they would lose half a point in the event that they finished level on points with another side. That half-point deduction was triggered as they ended the campaign level on points with Genk.

The decisive game proved to be a thrilling one. Knowing they had to win, Standard went for it, taking the lead in first-half added time when Eliaquim Mangala converted Steven Defour's free-kick from close range. Genk sent on Kennedy Nwanganga as an extra striker on 75 minutes and he headed the equaliser two minutes later, with some excellent saves from Thibaut Courtois late on seeing Frank Vercauteren's side hang on for their third title, following successes in 1999 and 2002.

"It is fantastic," Vercauteren said. "What emotions! It was an open match with ups and downs, and difficult moments against a very good Standard side. We did it the hard way, but in the end we got what we deserved." The club's 20-goal top scorer Jelle Vossen added: "My childhood dream has come true. They will not see me at home for the next few days."

Genk, founded in 1988 with the merger of KFC Winterslag and Waterschei SV Thor, will now compete in the 2011/12 UEFA Champions League third qualifying round, along with Standard.
    This one came down to the last game and the unique Belgian league system had these teams playing 40 games this season more than any other league. Genk finished 25-8-7 with 80 goals scored and 39 goals against.
    Weather130
    Weather130

National Champions in Europe - Page 2 Empty Maccabi Haifa reclaim Israeli title

Post by Weather130 Thu May 19, 2011 7:04 am

Maccabi Haifa FC, who relinquished their crown on the final day of last season, are Israeli champions again after beating Hapoel Kiryat Shmona FC 2-0 in their penultimate game.

Two second-half goals from Lior Refaelov earned Maccabi Haifa FC a 2-0 victory over Hapoel Kiryat Shmona FC that secured their 12th league championship.

Maccabi Haifa lost the title on the final day of last season but recorded their 24th league victory in the penultimate round of fixtures to take them six points clear of second-placed Hapoel Tel-Aviv FC. "It is my seventh title," said Maccabi Haifa captain Yaniv Katan. "The season has been long and hard but I am delighted we managed to put the record straight and win the championship."

Arik Benado, who won his ninth title at the club and is their record appearance holder, said: "We are a group of men as we won this title having lost four players who moved abroad [Shlomi Arbeitman, Dekel Keinan, Beram Kayal and Jorge Teixeira]." However, coach Elisha Levi added: "The job is not over yet. We are on course to win the double as we still have to face Hapoel Tel-Aviv in the State Cup final."

Owner Jaacov Schahar, who won his eighth championship at the club, said: "At our pre-season training camp in Bulgaria I spoke to the players and realised that I had to lift them as they were still suffering from losing the title on the final day. I asked them to pick their heads up and get to work so they could win back the title. I am just glad they managed to do that and now they can walk with their heads up high."
    With one game left Maccabi Haifa are 24-7-3 with 62 goals scored and 27 goals left.
    Weather130
    Weather130

National Champions in Europe - Page 2 Empty Newcomers Skendija claim maiden FYROM title

Post by Weather130 Thu May 19, 2011 9:16 am

After FK Skendija 79 won the Prva Liga championship for the first time, coach Qatip Osmani promised supporters there would be "many more moments of joy" to come.

FK Skendija 79 have been crowned champions of the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia for the first time, becoming the only club to do so at the first attempt following promotion from the second tier.

Skendija won their maiden championship after a 2-1 win against FK Rabotnicki, which came courtesy of goals by Ferhan Hasani and Nebi Mustafi. Filip Petkovski's 72nd-minute strike kept the hosts on tenterhooks until the final whistle, but Qatip Osmani's charges held on for the victory that gives them an unassailable 11-point lead over FK Metalurg Skopje.

The Tetovo outfit have topped the division since 5 December, when they defeated champions FK Renova 4-1. "Its a wonderful feeling, I am over the moon; at this moment I can't describe my joy," Skendija coach Osmani told UEFA.com. "This is our first title, which has come after many years of hard work. I must congratulate everybody, especially my players, as well as all the staff and, of course, our devoted fans who supported us throughout the season.

"At the beginning of the season it was a bit too optimistic to even think about winning the title, but as each week went by it became more obvious to us that we can play consistently well, so I believe that we fully deserve this achievement. In the past few months I have constantly been telling my players not to talk about the title until they had actually won it. After today's victory, the first thing I told them to do was start celebrating."

Skendija have become the third successive club to win a maiden top-flight championship after FK Makedonija GP in 2009 and Renova. With a first appearance in the qualifying stages of the UEFA Champions League now confirmed, Osmani vowed that there would be more celebrations for supporters to look forward to. "I am confident that we won't disappoint our fans," added the former Skendija striker. "Au contraire, I can promise them that many more moments of joy will come."
    With two games left Skendija are 21-7-3 with 62 goals scored and 20 goals against.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 5:54 pm