Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Ben
mac
Bebe_Fun
Kuled
LeBron
moscowmadeit3
Danny
Scouser_Dave
12 posters

My PS3 won't read discs

Anonymous

My PS3 won't read discs  - Page 2 Empty Re: My PS3 won't read discs

Post by Guest Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:50 am

Scouser_Dave wrote:
    'orrible bastard wrote:
    Scouser_Dave wrote:
    'orrible bastard wrote:i'm on my 3rd PS3. had original one, then 40GB model, now on 120GB slim. bought mine from costco with a free 5 year warranty. paid something like £475 for my original bundle with 2 games. when it broke they wanted the 2 games which i had already completed back, i got a full refund and bought the new bundle for £385 with 2 games and a remote, when that broke they wanted the games back (they were WWE & pes 2008 - i never played them) anyway i got my full refund and bought the new 120GB slim (no bundle) for about £265 i think.

so every time my PS3 breaks down i get a new one and some money back! result.

Cheers for letting me know that lad, makes me feel a whole lot better Neutral

sorry, is it too late to take yer xbox back and then buy it at costco (if you know a member)?

it'll be cheaper and you get the store's 5 year warranty!!!

Nah am happy with me XBOX now ta mate.

What's this Costco like then? Just seen that there's one just off King edwards street here. Might nip down there if there's anything at cheap prices like.

costco is brilliant. alot of wholesale things, so if you drink alot of tropicana tropical fruit juice like me, you can buy 6 packs for a fraction of the price it is in the super markets. i have bought festival tents there, its good for beer (not as good as france!) and they do these huge freshly made pizza's which i have to cut in half to get in my oven!

and did i mention they sell PS3's with a 5 year warranty? and xbox's too!

it costs £25 to be a member, but you have to have a certain profession or know someone in a profession to become a member! my mum was a teacher! (retired now, not dead!)
    Bebe_Fun
    Bebe_Fun

Supports : Itchy Balls

Post by Bebe_Fun Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:54 am

Lol my parents are Costco members, they don't go much, however their friends always borrow their membership card.
    mac
    mac

Supports : Liverpool

Post by mac Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:53 pm

Always buy from Costco mate like a few others have mentioned. I had 3 different Xbox 360's get the red ring of death and returned each one after they broke for a full refund. Finally decided to get a 120 GB PS3 slim and have had 0 problems.

And I don't know how the Costco's work in the UK but here in the US you don't need any special requirements to become a member. Just have to pay the membership fees. There's a couple levels of memberships each with their own benefits but the basic one works fine.
    Ben
    Ben

Supports : United

Post by Ben Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:58 am

Mine no longer reads discs either Sad I dunno what to do, try repair it, ask in town if it can be repaired, send it off to SONY or just by an XBOX?
    Scouser_Dave
    Scouser_Dave

Post by Scouser_Dave Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:22 am

BenSmith wrote:Mine no longer reads discs either Sad I dunno what to do, try repair it, ask in town if it can be repaired, send it off to SONY or just by an XBOX?

Have you tried the recovery menu bit?

You could also try taking the hood off it and take out the blu ray player to see if the magnet has come loose or the laser could have dust on it. It's a difficult job with the blu ray player because the screws are so small and you have to remember which way the clasps go back on.

Sony are twats and will charge you £150 for a refurb with a shitty 3 month warranty. The console they send back to you will be lucky to see 6 months, probably over 3 to cover Sony's arse though.

You can go to computer shop that will send it off and repair it at a cheaper price than Sony but it will probably only be a temporary fix, maybe longer than sony's but not by much. Enough for you to sell it on to somebody stupid enough to buy the time bomb. Harsh choice that I didn't want to take but some heartless bastards might.

You can also sell them on ebay as parts or as a broken console, that somebody will take off your hands for a reasonable price. Am doing this one myself at the moment.

All that's my experience and understanding from the whole shit. I wouldn't hold any hopes of keeping your broken console for any longer than a year if you have to send it off for a repair. It's normally as good as gone when you come up against these problems.
    Ben
    Ben

Supports : United

Post by Ben Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:40 am

Cheers, I'll have a look at taking the hood off and the blu ray player.

No way I'll pay £150, could buy one for less than that.

I'll probably end up buying an XBOX and keep the PS3 if that fails so I can play GT5 (assuming it is available to be bought on the PlayStation store).

Thanks Smile

coolhead33
    coolhead33

Post by coolhead33 Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:08 am

Scouser_Dave wrote:
    moscowmadeit3 wrote:When you phone up sony just be like you've been a loyal customer for so long... blag it basically. Say you will go to Xbox (try it it!!) Just be like poor customer service making me pay after this one was a refurbish one which was in a poor condition when arrived.... blah blah blah.

It might work.

OTHER WISE.

Trade it in! some game stores do not check it, they just turn it on and check to see if it has a warranty sticker.

Tried reasoning with Sony last time and used the whole going to XBOX. They weren't interested. Nor were they interested when people reported them to Watchdog, simply because they are a massive company and are fucking untouchable.

I would take it into game or gamestation but the warranty sticker is now void with me having taken it off to have a look at the blu ray drive.

To be honest I feel like launching the console out of the fucking window at the moment it's wound me up that much.

Ta for ya help though mate.
    They would be interested if you threatened to take them to court though.

Works against anyone if you have a good enough reason to.
    Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

Post by Lux Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:15 am

You'll come back from the dark side when you get RROD
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:57 am

Luxz0rz wrote:You'll come back from the dark side when you get RROD
    Which luckily is never as the new models have fixed the problem completely. Smile
    Scouser_Dave
    Scouser_Dave

Post by Scouser_Dave Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:07 am

coolhead33 wrote:
    Scouser_Dave wrote:
    moscowmadeit3 wrote:When you phone up sony just be like you've been a loyal customer for so long... blag it basically. Say you will go to Xbox (try it it!!) Just be like poor customer service making me pay after this one was a refurbish one which was in a poor condition when arrived.... blah blah blah.

It might work.

OTHER WISE.

Trade it in! some game stores do not check it, they just turn it on and check to see if it has a warranty sticker.

Tried reasoning with Sony last time and used the whole going to XBOX. They weren't interested. Nor were they interested when people reported them to Watchdog, simply because they are a massive company and are fucking untouchable.

I would take it into game or gamestation but the warranty sticker is now void with me having taken it off to have a look at the blu ray drive.

To be honest I feel like launching the console out of the fucking window at the moment it's wound me up that much.

Ta for ya help though mate.
    They would be interested if you threatened to take them to court though.

Works against anyone if you have a good enough reason to.

Wouldn't have a leg to stand on against a company that has as much money as Sony. Plus there's no proof to show this is a fault with Sony. Could easily be turned on me.

Luxz0rz wrote:You'll come back from the dark side when you get RROD

Got rid of the problem haven't they? Plus there warranty and customer service is on another level to Sony's from what I've heard.
    Chris000

Post by Chris000 Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:19 pm

My ps3 went fucked about a month ago, it was my third 60gb and out of warranty.

All i could do was sell it on ebay for £66 + postage. Now i bought a 120gb ps3 slim with 3 years warranty to cover my butt. Im pretty sure the slims dont fuck up like the big ones.
    Cornholio
    Cornholio

Post by Cornholio Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:31 am

People whose PS3 has broke.

Lend me your ears.

What firmware are you on?
    Scouser_Dave
    Scouser_Dave

Post by Scouser_Dave Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:38 pm

Ryan wrote:People whose PS3 has broke.

Lend me your ears.

The one before the 3.50 update.

Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:51 pm

I still have my original 360 from when it was first released. My PS3 won't read discs  - Page 2 Icon_neutral It got the RROD once and I sent it back.(got repaired for free) Then it got it a couple of more times after that but magically fixed itself. Still going strong, beast or what.
    Lux
    Lux

Post by Lux Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:46 pm

(polskaGOLA) wrote:Which luckily is never as the new models have fixed the problem completely. Smile

That's what they want you to think........ :affraid:

Scouser_Dave wrote:Got rid of the problem haven't they? Plus there warranty and customer service is on another level to Sony's from what I've heard.

My first PS3 broke after 2 weeks...I rang them up...took 2 minutes to collect details and they took my PS3 away and I had a new one within 3 days.

Sure the warranty only lasts 1 year as standard (unless you get it at Costco Surprised.....although I really don't see why they do this when it will lose them so much money....) but they do tell you in advance.....if you don't cover your PS3 and it breaks that's your fault. Customer service was great for me....
    Scouser_Dave
    Scouser_Dave

Post by Scouser_Dave Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:20 am

Luxz0rz wrote:
    (polskaGOLA) wrote:Which luckily is never as the new models have fixed the problem completely. Smile

That's what they want you to think........ :affraid:

Scouser_Dave wrote:Got rid of the problem haven't they? Plus there warranty and customer service is on another level to Sony's from what I've heard.

My first PS3 broke after 2 weeks...I rang them up...took 2 minutes to collect details and they took my PS3 away and I had a new one within 3 days.

Sure the warranty only lasts 1 year as standard (unless you get it at Costco Surprised.....although I really don't see why they do this when it will lose them so much money....) but they do tell you in advance.....if you don't cover your PS3 and it breaks that's your fault. Customer service was great for me....

After two weeks? eek What was it pre owned or something?

Lookin back now I should have taken up the warranty cover from gamestation when offered when I bought the console from them. Just thought it was poor customer service that they charge so much for a refurbed model with a 6 month warranty. Almost as if their forcing you into buying a new one just so they can make more money.
    Cornholio
    Cornholio

Post by Cornholio Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:42 am

Scouser_Dave wrote:

Lend me your ears.

Christ. If you was on 3.41 you could jailbreak it and discs would be a thing of the past.
    Scouser_Dave
    Scouser_Dave

Post by Scouser_Dave Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:34 am

Ryan wrote:
    Scouser_Dave wrote:

Lend me your ears.

Christ. If you was on 3.41 you could jailbreak it and discs would be a thing of the past.

How'd I go about doing that then?
    Cornholio
    Cornholio

Post by Cornholio Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:52 am

Scouser_Dave wrote:
    Ryan wrote:
    Scouser_Dave wrote:

Lend me your ears.

Are you on 3.41? If so, google "PsGroove". You will probably need to buy something unless you have a supported phone or something like it.

But it's worth it.
    Lux
    Lux

Post by Lux Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:16 am

Scouser_Dave wrote:After two weeks? eek What was it pre owned or something?

Nope eek the disc just stopped reading.

Scouser_Dave wrote:
    Lookin back now I should have taken up the warranty cover from gamestation when offered when I bought the console from them. Just thought it was poor customer service that they charge so much for a refurbed model with a 6 month warranty. Almost as if their forcing you into buying a new one just so they can make more money.

Well they do it for a reason. Because it's not that rare for PS3's to break they need to charge quite a lot. It's not the stores fault they break.....and if they have to go and get a new PS3 for you then they lose all their profit.....they might even lose money.
    Scouser_Dave
    Scouser_Dave

Post by Scouser_Dave Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:12 am

Ryan wrote:
    Scouser_Dave wrote:
    Ryan wrote:
    Scouser_Dave wrote:

Lend me your ears.

Are you on 3.41? If so, google "PsGroove". You will probably need to buy something unless you have a supported phone or something like it.

But it's worth it.

I am on 3.41. Will be having a look into this jailbreak aswell. Looks good if it is possible to pull off like.
    Cornholio
    Cornholio

Post by Cornholio Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:33 am

Scouser_Dave wrote:
    Ryan wrote:
    Scouser_Dave wrote:
    Ryan wrote:
    Scouser_Dave wrote:

Lend me your ears.

But it's worth it.

I am on 3.41. Will be having a look into this jailbreak aswell. Looks good if it is possible to pull off like.

It's very possible, me ole chum.

Look into porting itto a device you may own. There are a fair few mobiles that let you do it, aswell as a few ipods.

But since you need the latest version which doesn't require a disk in the drive you will probably have to buy the usb stick. About £30 and you want one which is upgradeable.
    Scouser_Dave
    Scouser_Dave

Post by Scouser_Dave Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:56 pm

Ryan wrote:
    Scouser_Dave wrote:
    Ryan wrote:
    Scouser_Dave wrote:
    Ryan wrote:
    Scouser_Dave wrote:

Lend me your ears.

But it's worth it.

It's very possible, me ole chum.

Look into porting itto a device you may own. There are a fair few mobiles that let you do it, aswell as a few ipods.

But since you need the latest version which doesn't require a disk in the drive you will probably have to buy the usb stick. About £30 and you want one which is upgradeable.

Cheers for that mate.

Will it affect me playing online if I do jailbreak the PS3 though?
    Cornholio
    Cornholio

Post by Cornholio Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:23 am

Yeah you won't be able to, FOR NOW. I thought your disc drive was broke though so you can't play games anyway?

This jailbreak has only been out a few weeks so people are still making programs. Eventually PSN should be restored.

Btw, it's been updated so you don't need a disc to play games. So you might not have to buy the memory stick if you have one of these devices

http://psfreedom.com/wiki/Device_compatibility_list
    Scouser_Dave
    Scouser_Dave

Post by Scouser_Dave Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:39 am

Ryan wrote:Yeah you won't be able to, FOR NOW. I thought your disc drive was broke though so you can't play games anyway?

This jailbreak has only been out a few weeks so people are still making programs. Eventually PSN should be restored.

Btw, it's been updated so you don't need a disc to play games. So you might not have to buy the memory stick if you have one of these devices

http://psfreedom.com/wiki/Device_compatibility_list

Not for me. Told me mate yesterday about this and he was interested only if he could still play online.

From that list I have the samsung galaxy s.
    Cornholio
    Cornholio

Post by Cornholio Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:02 am

Ok but why would he still want to play online if his PS3 can't read discs? Laughing
    Scouser_Dave
    Scouser_Dave

Post by Scouser_Dave Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:12 am

Ryan wrote:Ok but why would he still want to play online if his PS3 can't read discs? Laughing

No his PS3 is working fine. Just mentioned to him that I was looking at doing this chipped thing with me broken console and he was interested in doing the same only if it didn't effect him playing online.
    Cornholio
    Cornholio

Post by Cornholio Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:16 am

Ahhhhhh I get you now.

Anyway, if he's still on 3.41 he can't be that bothered about online, since you can't go online with that firmware anymore.

Also, it's been mentioned on some websites that if you update from 3.41 you may never be able to do this again.
    Scouser_Dave
    Scouser_Dave

Post by Scouser_Dave Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:24 am

Ryan wrote:Ahhhhhh I get you now.

Anyway, if he's still on 3.41 he can't be that bothered about online, since you can't go online with that firmware anymore.

Also, it's been mentioned on some websites that if you update from 3.41 you may never be able to do this again.

Forgot to mention the update to him.

So the 3.50 update was sent out by Sony to stop users from jailbreaking then? No flies on them aye? Laughing
    Cornholio
    Cornholio

Post by Cornholio Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:38 am

Yup. Well theres been two updates since. But yeah they're arseholes.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 2:41 am