Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
Grenade
Ben
Mario
Keanoo
SBSP
9 posters

World Rankings (12 January 2011)

SBSP
    SBSP

World Rankings (12 January 2011) - Page 3 Empty Re: World Rankings (12 January 2011)

Post by SBSP Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:04 am

ahlycotc wrote:
    'orrible bastard wrote:Steve in case you missed my edit earlier. the multiplier for a friendly is 1, the multiplier for a qualifier is 2.5. there are regional multipiers too, concacaf is now 0.88 while Conmebol and UEFA is 1, these are applied to the team that are playing versus one another added up and divided by 2.

to illustrate how the rankings are bullshit, here's an example;

if the US played a friendly V Spain tomorrow;

i cant be bothered to do the sums but if the US beat Spain they would be awarded 5.58 ranking points, if they drew they would recieve 1.86 and 0 for losing

if the US beat St Kitts and Nevis in a preliminary WC Qualifier they would recieve 5.21 points, if they drew they would be awarded 1.73 and 0 for losing!

the disparity between beating shit teams in meaningful games versus beating decent opposition in shit games is ridiculous!

Check your math/rules again. I got 5.64 (or rather 564pts) if USA beat Spain. I also got 5.214 (or rather 521pts) if USA beat St Kitts and Nevis.

I know there isn't much a difference between this and your math. CONCACAF's multiplier is a bit high. I don't get how CONCACAF has the 3rd highest multiplier in the world. And with CONCACAF's new WCQ format, teams like USA and Mexico will get even easier opponents to face. I won't be surprised if both nations surge in the rankings throughout the campaign.

But 43 points (the difference between the two scenarios) can mean a lot to a team. Currently USA would go up at least 2 additional places in their ranking. Other teams could go up say 10 places because of an additional 43 points.
    A team that can beat Spain should be more than 10 places above a team that can only beat St. Kitts and Nevis IMO. bounce
    Anonymous

World Rankings (12 January 2011) - Page 3 Empty Re: World Rankings (12 January 2011)

Post by Guest Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:04 am

Africa and Asia > North America Neutral
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:05 am

(polskaGOLA) wrote:Africa and Asia > North America Neutral
    Agreed.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:17 am

The ongoing Nile Basin Cup (if counted towards the rankings) is good for Egypt. We will amass 1158 pts for just playing friendlies over two weeks. That would put Egypt at top of the FIFA World Rankings. rofl rofl rofl

The only thing that would stop us if we have some old results get reduced from our rankings.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:24 am

Damn, it actually looks like Egypt will lose a lot of points from old results. Egypt's 2-0 win over Sweden in a friendly 4 years ago will not count anymore. Their 2008 winning African Cup campaign will get a lower multiplier. Egypt's friendly win over Kenya and friendly draw against Ghana 2 years ago will get lower multipliers. Their 2010 winning African Cup campaign will also get a lower multiplier.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:13 pm

ahlycotc wrote:
    'orrible bastard wrote:Steve in case you missed my edit earlier. the multiplier for a friendly is 1, the multiplier for a qualifier is 2.5. there are regional multipiers too, concacaf is now 0.88 while Conmebol and UEFA is 1, these are applied to the team that are playing versus one another added up and divided by 2.

to illustrate how the rankings are bullshit, here's an example;

if the US played a friendly V Spain tomorrow;

i cant be bothered to do the sums but if the US beat Spain they would be awarded 5.58 ranking points, if they drew they would recieve 1.86 and 0 for losing

if the US beat St Kitts and Nevis in a preliminary WC Qualifier they would recieve 5.21 points, if they drew they would be awarded 1.73 and 0 for losing!

the disparity between beating shit teams in meaningful games versus beating decent opposition in shit games is ridiculous!

Check your math/rules again. I got 5.64 (or rather 564pts) if USA beat Spain. I also got 5.214 (or rather 521pts) if USA beat St Kitts and Nevis.

I know there isn't much a difference between this and your math. CONCACAF's multiplier is a bit high. I don't get how CONCACAF has the 3rd highest multiplier in the world. And with CONCACAF's new WCQ format, teams like USA and Mexico will get even easier opponents to face. I won't be surprised if both nations surge in the rankings throughout the campaign.

But 43 points (the difference between the two scenarios) can mean a lot to a team. Currently USA would go up at least 2 additional places in their ranking. Other teams could go up say 10 places because of an additional 43 points.

i'll share my workings with you then, i was trying to avoid this!

Spain ranked #1 = 2 for the FIFA equation;

200-2/100=1.98

1.98x(1.00+0.88/2)x3x1=5.5836

= 558

St Kitts & Nevis ranked 121

200-121/100=0.79x(0.88+0.88/2)x3x2.5=5.214

=521

how did you come to your answers Ahly?

edit: i read the wiki page wrong. i was deducting the 2.00 from 200, doh!

it would appear 564 is the correct answer. im a statistician for fuck sake! im supposed to be good at maths!
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:23 pm

egypt would wqualify for many world cup if they not in africa

africa qualifications process is ridiculous and very poor structure like it was make by 8 year old boy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 10:24 am