Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
Pippo
Lux
Jordi
Walcott
Jord
9 posters

Leicester City to sign Everton striker Yakubu

Anonymous

Leicester City to sign Everton striker Yakubu Empty Leicester City to sign Everton striker Yakubu

Post by Guest Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:56 am

Leicester City will complete the loan signing of
    Everton striker Yakubu until the end of the season on Wednesday, BBC
    Radio Leicester understands.
    The 28-year-old Nigeria
    international will join Sven-Goran Eriksson's Championship side with a
    view to a permanent move in the summer. He has struggled to find his best form following an eight-month lay-off with a Achilles injury in 2008 and 2009. The former Portsmouth and Middlesbrough man has started eight games this term.

I'm glad we've already played them twice then. Great signing.
    Jord
    Jord

Formerly known as : SUPAH BURNLEY!
    Supports : Liverpool FC

Leicester City to sign Everton striker Yakubu Empty Re: Leicester City to sign Everton striker Yakubu

Post by Jord Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:57 am

He'll tear up the championship eek
    Walcott
    Walcott

Supports : Arsenal & Lewis Hamilton.

Leicester City to sign Everton striker Yakubu Empty Re: Leicester City to sign Everton striker Yakubu

Post by Walcott Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:59 am

Not a bad signing there.
    Jordi
    Jordi

Supports : Saints

Post by Jordi Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:01 am

eek
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:05 am

Just a fat Purple Aki.
    Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

Post by Lux Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:06 am

Doyley's got him in his pocket.
    Pippo
    Pippo

Formerly known as : Pippo Inzaghi

Post by Pippo Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:19 am

eek
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:21 am

I can't see why Everton would do that, they have Saha, who is only just finding form, Beckford, who is frankly too lightweight and hasn't done a great job, then the Yak. Wouldn't surprise me at all if this was just a rumor.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:49 am

Everton to do 4-6-0 Roma style for second half of season. shifty

You heard it hear first. Leicester City to sign Everton striker Yakubu 225495
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:57 am

Wow, that's surprising.
    Ben 10
    Ben 10

Supports : Preston North End F.C.

Post by Ben 10 Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:29 am

Guess who they play on Saturday? Neutral
    Hitchy
    Hitchy

Post by Hitchy Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:17 pm

He's still by far our best striker when he can be arsed
    Mustangt125
    Mustangt125

Post by Mustangt125 Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:30 pm

He's a King. Boss when I first started playin fif with Middlesborough
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:14 pm

I think Yakuba won't be great in the championship. He's a fat lump.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:59 pm

The-Reporter wrote:I think Yakuba won't be great in the championship. He's a fat lump.

Lots of fat lumps have done well in the Championship. Howard, King, Carroll, Windass.
    Jordi
    Jordi

Supports : Saints

Post by Jordi Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:00 pm

Steve Howard not worthy
    Yakubu is fast, and strong, good finisher, cracking piece of business by Sven.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:21 pm

Let's make a thread.

"How many goals will Yakubu score this season?" Neutral

10+

20+

30+

40+

50+

Neutral
    Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

Post by Lux Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:15 am

James ♠️ wrote:
    The-Reporter wrote:I think Yakuba won't be great in the championship. He's a fat lump.

Lots of fat lumps have done well in the Championship. Howard, King, Carroll, Windass.

Marlon King? Big but not fat scratch

I'd say obvious example is Parkin Laughing

A similar striker to Yakubu is Jason Scotland.....who is a great Championship striker.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:18 am

Exactly. I couldn't think of many but I knew there was some. Laughing The more physical strikers do better in this league.
    Hitchy
    Hitchy

Post by Hitchy Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:44 pm

It's official now. I reckon he'll tear up the Championship
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:36 am

Feed the Yak and he will score Coffee
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:08 am

Leicester City to sign Everton striker Yakubu 0,,10274~9334910,00

Yak Becomes A Fox

Leicester City manager, Sven-Goran Eriksson, has today confirmed the sensational loan signing of Everton and Nigeria striker, Yakubu Aiyegbeni, subject to league approval.

The 28-year-old star joins the Foxes until the end of the season on an initial loan deal, with a view to a permanent move to the Walkers Stadium in the summer.

Yakubu follows Ben Mee and Sol Bamba as Eriksson's third signing of the January transfer window, as the club sends out a statement of their ambitions, by capturing such a high-profile Premier League and international star.

Eriksson said: "Yakubu is a tremendous signing for Leicester City. He will bring pace, power and experience to the club.

"He has captained his country, played in major competitions and is a first-class footballer, who I am certain will help us to achieve our aims of moving up the npower Championship.

"We are delighted that he is joining us until the end of the season and I'm sure that the supporters will enjoy watching him in action."

The Nigerian international has earned over 50 caps for his country, scoring over 20 goals and has lifted the Israeli Premier League title twice with Maccabi Haifa and the Football League Division One (now npower Championship) title with Portsmouth in 2002-03.

Yakubu has scored over 100 goals in English football, during nine seasons at Portsmouth, Middlesbrough and Everton respectively. When Yakubu joined the Toffees in 2007, the £11.25m fee was a then club record.

Nicknamed 'The Yak', supporters of his previous clubs have taken to Yakubu as a result of his powerful forward play, eye for a goal and his general workrate for the side. This was evident as he spearheaded Middlesbrough's 2005-06 UEFA Cup run, as they reached the final after an epic series of dramatic victories, before gallantly losing to Sevilla.

Yakubu also became the first Everton player to score more than 20 goals in a season since Peter Beardsley achieved the feat in 1992, when the Nigerian striker bagged 21 goals in 2007-08, during an impressive debut season for the Toffees.

Last summer, he played in all three of Nigeria's Group B games in the 2010 FIFA World Cup, facing up to Argentina, Greece and South Korea, scoring against the latter, as the Super Eagles failed to reach the knockout stages of the tournament.

Tickets are available for the game that could potentially signal Yakubu's home debut, against Millwall at the Walkers Stadium on Saturday January 22, kick-off 3pm.

Tickets are on sale now for the Millwall fixture from as little as £21 for adults, £16 for over 60s, £11 under 22s, £10 under 18s, £5 under 12s and, as always, under 8s GO FREE in the Marks Electrical Family Stand.

Leicester City to sign Everton striker Yakubu 0,,10274~9334895,00

EXCLUSIVE: The Yak’s First Interview

Leicester City's new signing, Yakubu Aiyegbeni, can't wait to make his debut for the club and show the Foxes faithful just why manager, Sven-Goran Eriksson was so keen to land his man.

Speaking exclusively to LCFC.COM, following his move from Everton, the on-loan Nigerian international explained why the decision to become a part of the Eriksson revolution was an easy one.

"It means a lot to me to be joining Leicester City and to be given this chance. When I had the option to come here, I didn't think twice. The manager is one of the greats in football history and to work with him presents a special opportunity for me."

Yakubu, who will join the club until the end of the season on-loan, ahead of a proposed permanent deal in the summer, feels the club has everything it takes to make that long-awaited return to the top flight of English football.

"Leicester City has a good history and the club belongs in the Premier League. I believe that we can achieve that aim this season, but it is not going to be easy. We will need to work hard together as a team and only then can we achieve our dreams."

So what can City fans expect to see from the man affectionately known as 'The Yak' by his previous supporters?

"I am an ambitious person and I am more than happy to work hard. For me, I love challenges and this is one that I am really looking forward to. I wouldn't have joined if I didn't believe in my ability to do well for the club. I hope to score goals for Leicester and to help move the team up the division. I will give everything for the club and for my fellow players and I am sure we will enjoy some success."

For those wondering how Yakubu will adapt to npower Championship football after so many years in the top flight, the 28-year-old gives an honest response.

"I've played at most of the grounds and I know what to expect from this division. There are good teams and good players, but you have to compete and battle, otherwise you can be overpowered, as this is a physical level of football. I was part of the Portsmouth team that won the division, when Leicester were the runners-up and it was difficult then, no doubt. But we will be prepared and we will progress.

"I've watched the team from afar over the last few months and they have done really well since the manager joined the club, after a difficult start to the season. I met the guys yesterday and they've received me really well and made me feel very welcome. I'm sure we will work well and we will fight together, believe, and reach the play-offs."

Yakubu will be available for Saturday's npower Championship away clash against Preston North End on Saturday. He will not be available for Tuesday night's FA Cup sponsored by E.ON 3rd round replay against Manchester City, but could make his home debut against Millwall on Saturday January 22nd, kick-off 3pm.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 3:40 am