Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+18
El Jefe
Sheppy
Torresxvilla
SBSP
Scuba Steve
mac
Keanoo
Cornholio
Lux
Ben
Grenade
masutora
dena
Mouse
Sean
Cameron.
Cadbury
Danny
22 posters

Why Does Qatar Deserve It?

Anonymous

Why Does Qatar Deserve It? Empty Why Does Qatar Deserve It?

Post by Guest Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:43 am

In my other thread, people were asking why Qatar deserved it instead. Fair enough, I just assumed everyone actually looked at the bids. Instead of having to repeat my answers to everyone in the thread, I thought it would be best to present why Qatar deserves the right to host the 2022 WC and tackle some issues about Qatar all in one place. Note that I have done more research since my previous thread, so there is more information about the planning that would help in answering your questions and fear.

Qatar is a Middle Eastern nation. No World Cup has been held in the Middle East before and it's no secret that Blatter and FIFA want to spread the game and World Cup to new regions. It is also the belief that the game will bring peace and harmony between Arabs and Israel if the World Cup is held in the Middle East. Whether you believe that bullshit or not, FIFA sort of do and Qatar's presenters played a bit on that. Bringing the World Cup to Qatar will greatly improve the interest in the sport (which is already #1), especially among the youth, just like it did for USA in 1994. The value of the football market in the Middle East is projected to grow $14 billion simply by putting the World Cup in Qatar.

With Qatar almost in the middle of the World (much closer than their opponents), the television viewing experience would be the best. Billions of people would be viewing the match at prime time. The exact figures are 3.2 billion prime-time viewers, 2.9 billion afternoon and night viewers, and 570 million morning viewers.

Not only is it great for television, but for traveling for teams and fans. Around 2 billion people are within 4 hours away (by plane) from Qatar.

So if you ask me, the most money is going to be made (from FIFA's perspective) in Qatar and USA.

Size and Population

I have noticed several people criticize Qatar for being so small in size and population. I'm not sure how that's a bad thing and in fact I see that it helps Qatar. With a small population, more seats will be available for fans coming from outside. Also with the small size, the longest distance between any two stadiums is one hour or less. You can attend your team's match on one side of the nation and go attend another group's team on the other side of the nation the same day. Also, costs of traveling will be cheap. Imagine going across the country in the USA to watch two matches?

The distance between Bahrain and Qatar is a 30 minute drive. Not all the visitors need to stay in Qatar to attend the World Cup. They can get hotels in any of the neighboring nations and not travel a lot to make it to Qatar. That not only helps Qatar's tourism, but the other surrounding nations' tourism as well.

Construction

No doubt, Qatar has the ability to build world class stadiums, transportation, and other infrastructure. They are allocating $50 billion for infrastructure. So there is no fear over whether Qatar has the funds to build so much in 12 years. Remember, 12 years!! Every government guaranteed to build this nation for the 2022 World Cup has already been signed. This isn't South Africa. Qatar can fund and finish all the stadiums and construction on time. You have on the richest economies in the WORLD backing this up. Look at how much Qatar has built over the past few years already. They have also successfully held the 2006 Asian Games that had more than 30 events for men and women. According to the presentation, Qatar is already 78% complete with FIFA's requirements. By 2022, Qatar will be at 187% of FIFA's requirement. Now let's watch in awe...

Air-Conditioning Technology

You all heard about the open air conditioning technology used in the stadiums. I learned today that not only will it be in the stadiums, but in fan zones, training pitches, walkways, Metro stations, and between stations and stadiums. Basically the whole fucking country is air-conditioned. Laughing

If you are doubting how this technology works with open roofs in stadiums, believe me it will work. First of all this technology isn't new. It's already being used in one of Qatar's existing stadiums. The proposed technology for the World Cup is just a second generation advancement and will be installed in all the stadiums. It basically uses solar power and converts it to electricity. Then it has air-condition vents along the floors (below the seats). That way the cold air hits you before it even leaves the stadium. Not only that, but the ceiling is equipped with some kind of technology that brings the cold back air towards you when it reaches the ceiling.

By the way, most of the matches will be at night. As you might have learned in science class, the temperature in a desert drops dramatically at night. So the temperature in Qatar during the games will be about 80 F or 27 C.

Alcohol

Qatar is a Muslim nation and has Sharia law. But, Qatar has already vowed to loosen these laws during the World Cup to make it easier on people. That means alcohol, among other things, will be permitted and you can enjoy getting drunk all you want. Although I wouldn't recommend getting too drunk. One reason is alcohol increases your chance of dehydration. There are many more reasons as to why you shouldn't get drunk, but I doubt you all care.

Israelis will also be allowed in the nation despite Qatar not officially recognizing the nation. Their government is talking about starting to engage with Israel anyways after the more liberal son of the former leader took over.

Also, when is the last time a terrorist act happened in Qatar? I haven't heard of any sort of terrorism there. And in a World Cup event, security will be high in any place in the world.

Qatar National Team

Football in Qatar has been in an amazing rise over the years, especially among the youth. By the time 2022 comes along, Qatar shouldn't be as poor in talent as they are now. They have some great potential in their current youth. 12 years is plenty of time for any nation to improve their team and to even become worse. What's to say that Australia's team or USA's team will be as good by 2022? Anything can happen in 12 years. Footballing nations don't always improve over time. You have bad generations sometimes. And let's look back at South Africa. A few MONTHS before the World Cup, South Africa was shit compared to the top African nations. They didn't even qualify to the 2010 African Cup of Nations. But look at what they did in the Confederations Cup and World Cup with their home support? I think Qatar can at least reach South Africa's potential by 2022. They will be hosting the 2011 Asian Cup, let's see what they do then. They also claimed that their women football is on the rise in Qatar.

Legacy

Legacy is one of the guidelines FIFA put out to the bidders. As I said before, this is the first World Cup in Qatar and the Middle East. All the benefits that come with that are great. But another thing to point out (which I haven't seen any other bidder do) is care about the environment and developing nations. As many of you know, Qatar plans on removing most tiers of their stadiums and donating them to developing nations in warm weather areas with their air-conditioning technology. Speaking about the air-conditioning, the technology will be solar powered. Also, zero carbon cooling technology = good for the environment.

Presentation

Besides all the facts that are in a bid to host a World Cup, one of the most important factors in deciding the hosts depends on how those facts are presented. You might be a perfect candidate for hosting the World Cup, but if you can't prove it, it's pointless. If you watched the presentations, Qatar had arguably the best presentation out of the 2022 bidders. Their presentation was professional, spoken in 3 different languages, and attention grabbing. It's OK if you have to suck up to the voters by speaking in their language, it's part of selling yourself.

Now, compare that to USA's presentation. Although they had high profile people, like Bill Clinton and Morgan Freeman, I have to say their presentation was boring. They seemed to spend more than half of the presentation convincing the voters that America is a highly diverse nation. No shit, we already know that. I didn't hear much about what they actually plan on doing. Not to mention the small things like Morgan Freeman skipping a page in his speech and Bill Clinton calling the sport soccer after everyone before him was calling it football.

Qatar put a lot of effort in this bid and I have to admit they deserve it. If you really want something, you will do all you can to achieve it. It also helps to have people like Pep Guardiola and Zidane supporting your bid (even if they had to pay them to sponsor their bid).

------------

I believe I have covered everything here, but if there are still some concerns, I will try to research it. I would like to lastly say, have faith in Qatar. People doubted USA in 1994 and look what happened. People doubted South Africa and look what happened. I think Qatar has the best qualities of both the USA and South Africa to make this a World Cup to remember for good reasons.

Last edited by ahlycotc on Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
    Danny
    Danny

Why Does Qatar Deserve It? Empty Re: Why Does Qatar Deserve It?

Post by Danny Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:45 am

If you think we're reading all that.. Neutral
    Cadbury
    Cadbury

Supports : Not Kenny.

Post by Cadbury Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:46 am

I read it twice. Thus, i can conclude that this is, infact, a cool story, bro.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:47 am

Danny B wrote:If you think we're reading all that.. Neutral
    Laughing
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:48 am

Nobody is making you read it. But now you have no excuse for your reason as to why the World Cup shouldn't be in Qatar if the point was discussed above.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:50 am

Some good points, but did you actually write that all out? If so, why are you so bothered?
    Cameron.

Supports : Manchester United.

Post by Cameron. Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:52 am

I read it, though I wasn't too bothered about Qatar hosting it anyway. If England had won the 2018 bid I doubt many people would even be complaining about this.
    Sean

Post by Sean Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:52 am

Typical forum, someone puts effort in something and you all shoot him down

You make some good points btw, although I still would have preferred USA or Australia if I'm honest.
    Mouse
    Mouse

Supports : Sweden Women's National Handball Team

Post by Mouse Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:55 am

ahlycotc wrote:

Nobody is making you read it. But now you have no excuse for your reason as to why the World Cup shouldn't be in Qatar if the point was discussed above.

In fairness i didn't like the idea of first but after learning more about there bid i really wanna go in 2022 ...........Russia on the other hand Neutral
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:56 am

To be honest, I know you put a lot of work into this, but why? Bet 30% of the people who click on this thread will read it, 15% will finish. -_-

Blog it.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:58 am

Cameron_LFC wrote:Some good points, but did you actually write that all out? If so, why are you so bothered?

Yes, I actually wrote this. Why do I bother, I thought it was a good idea to compile all the points in one place for all to see. I don't think it was a waste of time. But then you have the first three responses talking about how lazy they are to read something that will take them a couple of minutes and I start wondering if I'm talking and putting effort for the wrong audience. But there are some people that will appreciate this and that's what gets me going and ignore the lazy people that put you down.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:59 am

dena wrote:To be honest, I know you put a lot of work into this, but why? Bet 30% of the people who click on this thread will read it, 15% will finish. -_-

Blog it.

Read my previous post.
    masutora
    masutora

Supports : Yes

Post by masutora Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:59 am

Good post.

Children here won't believe you, though, and will continue talking about the high possibility of car/suicide bombs.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:00 am

Yeah, it's a good post, but probably wrong audience, especially when post people here are English, and then you have the Americans, Australians, etc. Not to say we don't read, but we are all bitter. shifty
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:00 am

I read it btw, and ive already seen the stadiums Heart
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:03 am

i dont buy into this "you should be good at football in order to stage a World Cup". just because Qatar are shit at football does not mean they love it any less. i really dont see them improving a whole lot, with their tiny population they are very limited to what they can achieve sports wise. but this shouldn't hinder their ability to stage the tournament.

for the players and fans sake i really hope the airconditioning works well.
    Grenade
    Grenade

Formerly known as : grenade187

Post by Grenade Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:08 am

I read it and I can agree with most of the points.

OP most of the people here are English and want something to moan about because of Englands pathetic 2 votes. Even if it was Usa or Australia that won the 2022 they would still say they dont deserve it and whatever.

If Qatar actually do build them stadiums then Why Does Qatar Deserve It? 246690
    Ben
    Ben

Supports : United

Post by Ben Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:09 am

It's definitely the best host for the 2022 World Cup on paper, but I can still see there being problems with the customs & the heat.

Last edited by Ben10 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:15 am

grenade187 wrote:I read it and I can agree with most of the points.

OP most of the people here are English and want something to moan about because of Englands pathetic 2 votes. Even if it was Usa or Australia that won the 2022 they would still say they dont deserve it and whatever.

If Qatar actually do build them stadiums then Why Does Qatar Deserve It? 246690

I don't think anyone is really bothered about 2022 because we weren't in the running. It's Russia that we're unhappy about.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:17 am

I read that and i'll change my views. They do look like the best. My beef is that Russia actually got 2018 despite them being an openly racist nation. At least we'll have 2018 which is shit then Qatar will look even better following so such a shitty controversial World Cup.

Air conditioning thing sounds good but i'm still not convinced it will work as well as you think. Remember there is going to be lots of people crammed together - that is going to make it feel warmer anyway.
    Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

Post by Lux Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:25 am

I wasn't too bothered about it being in Qatar, it's a part of the World I've been intrigued about going to, and even if I don't it offers the best time zone. It's in the Middle East but it's one of those countries that isn't dangerous. It's a lot like any other 1st World country, but with Islam.

In fact, if they got rid of Islam, or at least got rid of Sharia law...then I'd love to live in a place like Qatar, Dubai, Bahrain, UAE etc.

Anyone who opposed Qatar today was just ignorant.....but there's valid reason to be annoyed about Russia winning.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:05 am

Sean CFC wrote:Typical forum, someone puts effort in something and you all shoot him down

You make some good points btw, although I still would have preferred USA or Australia if I'm honest.

Reason why I am barely ever serious on this forum.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:31 am

This just occurred to me...

Most of the matches are at night and as we all should know, the temperature drops dramatically at night in a desert. So the weather isn't going to be bad at all! rofl

Last edited by ahlycotc on Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
    Cornholio
    Cornholio

Post by Cornholio Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:31 am

I'd rather go to Qatar than Russia.
    Keanoo
    Keanoo

Supports : Manchester United

Post by Keanoo Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:32 am

ahlycotc wrote:
    I believe I have covered everything here, but if there are still some concerns, I will try to research it. I would like to lastly say, have faith in Qatar. People doubted USA in 1994 and look what happened. People doubted South Africa and look what happened. I think Qatar has the best qualities of both the USA and South Africa to make this a World Cup to remember for good reasons.

Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:35 am

Keanoo wrote:
    ahlycotc wrote:

Laughing
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:35 am

Hearing Zidane is getting paid $1mil per year until 2022. Anyone can confirm? damn. Laughing
    Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

Post by Lux Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:42 am

(polskaGOLA) wrote:
    Sean CFC wrote:Typical forum, someone puts effort in something and you all shoot him down

Reason why I am barely ever serious on this forum.

Work smarter, not harder.

Even if you put effort in, that doesn't mean you're going to get praise when what you say is trolling/stupid.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:59 am

dena wrote:Hearing Zidane is getting paid $1mil per year until 2022. Anyone can confirm? damn. Laughing

I wouldn't be surprised. And to be honest, I don't see anything wrong with it really. As long as they aren't bribing the officials who actually make the votes. Zidane also has Arabic blood.
    mac
    mac

Supports : Liverpool

Post by mac Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:04 pm

Good points and although I'm bitter about Qatar beating us out, I'm still looking forward to this one. Razz

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 12:12 am