Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+32
Sean
SJH
Ra's al Ghul
vel
Theo Filippo
Keyser Söze
ResurrectionRooney
Jordan Henderchip
Trig
Eternal Witcher
Iscquin
Juvendinho
BigJ0526
dena
Scuba Steve
Phadunkin Donuts
Bye_Ya
SophisticatedBeggar
Jorlung
wellz
limerickcitykid
Forest
Cam
Muhkoo
Keanoo
Harrold
Bushido
fluffy_kittens
Weather130
The Maestro
VivaRonaldoLAD
Glen Miller
36 posters

Major League Soccer (MLS) Thread

Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Major League Soccer (MLS) Thread - Page 18 Empty Re: Major League Soccer (MLS) Thread

Post by Scuba Steve Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:42 am

Jermain: "I never thought I was going to move. I am totally committed to the cause." That sad face tells a different story

Major League Soccer (MLS) Thread - Page 18 ByUMx_0IUAAtp-f
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Major League Soccer (MLS) Thread - Page 18 Empty Re: Major League Soccer (MLS) Thread

Post by Scuba Steve Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:13 pm

Chris Pontius is back! First goal in what seems like forever (adios hamstring issues). (Just seent it, 9/14/13 was his last goal). 

Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:13 pm

First team to qualify for the Champions League Quarterfinals. Come at us, mfs.

And Red Bulls knocked out of a group with Montreal  Laughing
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:04 pm

Major League Soccer (MLS) Thread - Page 18 AmpleVengefulKitfox
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Formerly known as : Glen Damon
    Supports : PLAYMAKER

Post by Glen Miller Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:11 pm

You mentioned that the Open Cup winner goes into the CL.  With the Sounders winning that, if they win the MLS League/Main Cup/whatever it's called, does the CL place go to the Union as runners up?
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:12 pm

Don't think so. Think it goes to someone in the league. But I'll look it up.

Right now, it's 

MLS Cup Winner
    MLS Supporter Shield Winner
    Winner of the other Conference
    Open Cup Winner

Think if one or more of those overlap, they go with points in the league.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:15 pm

That is a shame.  I might just start following DC.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:23 pm

Good year to do that, but beware, we might just go back next season and win three games then. And yeah, that is how the bids go out.

So, Seattle already has the US Open Cup one. If they win the Supporters Shield and then the MLS Cup, then the other two spots would go to teams who had the most points.

D.C. is in the best position to take the Eastern Conference CCL bid based on their six point lead with four games left. So LA and Real are the most likely candidates to take a spot should D.C. or Seattle double up on a spot.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:01 am

Miguel Ibarra of Minnesota United is going to be called into the USA squad for the friendlies next month. First second division player to be called in since Clyde Simms in 2005 -- though Simms was called into camp, when the regular national team players were on strike over pay, and then featured in the game in May of that year against England after he impressed Bruce with his performance in the camp.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:30 am

2 year hiatus for Chivas USA. But it sounds like a buyer has been found. So the next two years will be used to rebrand/find land and build a new stadium.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:52 am

dena
    dena

Post by dena Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:54 am

lol wtf

Robbie Keane best DP thus far?
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:02 am

Probably. Beckham's got that legacy as being the first, but there were a bunch of ups and downs with him. Henry is up there as well, but Keane has had a bigger impact with the results on the field. Not much other competition at the moment.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:46 am

Course that doesn't count Landon Donovan, who was a DP before the DP rule was even a thing. Also, Raul might be signing for Cosmos. Decent pickup for a second division side (oops. Forgot he retired recently. Maybe its more of a publicity stunt, though they were able to get Senna to come play for them as well).
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:07 am

Raul? Nah.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:03 am

Don't hate. Also, Crew just about to unveil their new look. 

Jozy said he'll leave Sunderland in January if his playing opportunities don't increase. Maybe he'll come to DC since we got that club partnership with Sunderland.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:11 am

Not bad. Circle is kinda lame, but good look otherwise.

Major League Soccer (MLS) Thread - Page 18 BzdrSy6CMAA9_PF
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:33 am

Adios Chivas. Also, just New England left for fixing their logo. Definitely in need of an upgrade.

Major League Soccer (MLS) Thread - Page 18 BzdyRYmCIAAzuyL
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:16 am

New Landon scores in Old Landon's going away party.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:15 pm

Yeah but that goal from Enner Valencia.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:18 pm

It's hard for me to grasp how American fans were going on about Donovan on Twitter. When I think about him all that comes to mind is the tag of slightly above average player.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:49 am

Rei Andros wrote:It's hard for me to grasp how American fans were going on about Donovan on Twitter. When I think about him all that comes to mind is the tag of slightly above average player.
    I would have thought Dempsey is/was/has been better. think
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:13 am

In the grand scheme of things, you're right. He's not that much to get excited about. But it's the fact that he's been the face of the team since most people in this country have been soccer fans that makes the situation a bit different. 

Yes, there was 1990, 1994, and 1998, but none of those teams featured players with star potential, though a couple of them were probably just as good as Donovan. But then Donovan came along, started winning things in MLS, and scored against Mexico in his debut (remember back then, Mexico was the big bad older brother. Donovan's tenure changed that).

Then he spearheaded the best WC run in US history. I'd argue that some of the other players in that squad were just as good as Donovan, such as Pope and Reyna (maybe Sanneh, but that might just be my infatuation with him at that World Cup), but Donovan had a great tournament, and scored that memorable goal against Mexico. He was also the Best Young Player at the '02 World Cup, so that helped his "star".

Then there was the goal against Algeria, goals against Italy and Brazil in the Confederations Cup, his overall play against Spain in that tournament. He's been part of every big thing that's happened with the US team since 2000, sans the 2014 tournament (and he really, really should have been there). 

This has turned into nonsensical rambling at some point. I think a lot of US fans just grew up on Donovan, and that's why his star burns so brightly in our circle. There are players who have played for the US team that are just as good if not better, but none of the them have had the US career that Donovan has. Think that's the difference between him and say Dempsey, or Bradley, or Reyna, etc. 

Also, Mexico hated Donovan, so that helped even more.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:53 am

Donovan's never been a personal favorite of mine, so I'm not in that group, but I understand them.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:40 am

Just saw this now. shifty Thanks for the perspective.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:03 am

Agreed, a fair account.
    Keyser Söze
    Keyser Söze

Post by Keyser Söze Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:00 am

New York Red Bulls striker Bradley Wright-Phillips moves to within two goals of equalling the MLS single season record with the opener against Toronto FC.

rofl What shit league.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:22 am

Pretty easy to get that close to records when you take as many penalties as he does.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:34 am

#bloodybigdeal

Major League Soccer (MLS) Thread - Page 18 B0QpW-mCIAEbFH0
    Free_Mustache_Rides

Post by Free_Mustache_Rides Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:18 pm

Hey, Steve your the resident American Soccer guru around here so I'm wondering if you could answer this question that came to mind the other day:

Which American soccer player has had the most successful career playing for a major European club? By major I'm talking about the Man Utd, Bayern, Milan and Barca's of European soccer.

I only know about guys like Onyewu, Donovan, and el Pato but those guys only had short stints I think.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 10:30 am