Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+32
Sean
SJH
Ra's al Ghul
vel
Theo Filippo
Keyser Söze
ResurrectionRooney
Jordan Henderchip
Trig
Eternal Witcher
Iscquin
Juvendinho
BigJ0526
dena
Scuba Steve
Phadunkin Donuts
Bye_Ya
SophisticatedBeggar
Jorlung
wellz
limerickcitykid
Forest
Cam
Muhkoo
Keanoo
Harrold
Bushido
fluffy_kittens
Weather130
The Maestro
VivaRonaldoLAD
Glen Miller
36 posters

Major League Soccer (MLS) Thread

Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Major League Soccer (MLS) Thread - Page 24 Empty Re: Major League Soccer (MLS) Thread

Post by Scuba Steve Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:55 am

9th biggest attendance for a MLS match. 

In terms of overall attendance of a soccer game in the US, its way down there.
    Sean

Major League Soccer (MLS) Thread - Page 24 Empty Re: Major League Soccer (MLS) Thread

Post by Sean Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:02 am

I was just thinking in general about MLS, what's the career trajectories for managers in the league? Obviously if you're a good enough player you can get a move to Europe but you never see a Kreis or any of the more successful MLS managers do the same. 

It seems to be the only progression is to be the US manager maybe
    Keyser Söze
    Keyser Söze

Post by Keyser Söze Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:22 am

When you say Europe do you mean a top European league? Or just any shitty far flung European league?
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:30 am

Sean wrote:I was just thinking in general about MLS, what's the career trajectories for managers in the league? Obviously if you're a good enough player you can get a move to Europe but you never see a Kreis or any of the more successful MLS managers do the same. 

It seems to be the only progression is to be the US manager maybe

UK and Ireland are probably no goes at a decent level since Americans are automatically seen as football retards over here, and they're not going to travel thousands of miles to manage some shit cunts in the Conference or equivalent strength leagues like the SPL.  I think they might struggle to get work permits here as well.

As for the rest of Europe, there aren't that many jobs available good enough to be worth moving continents for.  No top club is going to go for someone unproven outside of the US and Canada who doesn't already have a link with the club.  How many of them even speak the requisite languages?

If someone from MLS won the CONCACAF Champions League I reckon a decent sized club might sit up and take notice.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:19 am

http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-soccer/19/blog/post/2342342/major-league-soccer-has-made-progress-after-20-years-but-still-work-to-do-writes-rory-smith Greatest piece about an European coming to America since Tocqueville. 

As for managers in European, Sean, American managers have it tougher than American players. Berhalter (now with Columbus) was in Sweden a couple of years ago with Hammarby in the second division, the first time an American was a manager at an European side. Bradley is with Stabaek now, and so he's the first to be with a first division team. And he did well the couple of years he was with Egypt, until he got forcefully finger blasted by Ghana in the first leg of World Cup qualifier. 

Think we have a couple of smaller time coaches as well in Germany. Imma have to look it up, but I thought someone was with the Nurnberg youths, and that the Dortmund II was American as well. But they are also dual citizens, so easier for them over there. 

--

Yeah, David Wagner is the man. He was born to an American military dad and German mother, much like most of the Germamericans on the national team squad. He played 8 times for the US too, but spent his entire professional career in Germany. 

Learning a new language isn't the biggest of deals for the managers, either. Most of the them over here probably know a bit of Spanish, because we have so many speaking players over here. And Bradley learned Egyptian quickly while in charge there (helped that he took an old assistant from US who is Egyptian), and he knows Norwegian as well.
    Keyser Söze
    Keyser Söze

Post by Keyser Söze Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:26 am

Egyptian is still a language? scratch How did anyone understand him?
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:41 am

Understand him? Hieroglyphics aren't spoken.
    Keyser Söze
    Keyser Söze

Post by Keyser Söze Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:51 am

Who mentioned Hieroglyphics? Egyptian hasn't been spoken since the late 17th century.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:04 am

Who mentioned speaking Egyptian to the players?
    FCB
    FCB

Post by FCB Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:25 am

I knew someone would point that Egyptian part out Laughing
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:11 am

Yeah my bad. Too many pain killers.
    Free_Mustache_Rides

Post by Free_Mustache_Rides Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:06 am

Scuba Steve wrote:http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-soccer/19/blog/post/2342342/major-league-soccer-has-made-progress-after-20-years-but-still-work-to-do-writes-rory-smith Greatest piece about an European coming to America since Tocqueville. 

As for managers in European, Sean, American managers have it tougher than American players. Berhalter (now with Columbus) was in Sweden a couple of years ago with Hammarby in the second division, the first time an American was a manager at an European side. Bradley is with Stabaek now, and so he's the first to be with a first division team. And he did well the couple of years he was with Egypt, until he got forcefully finger blasted by Ghana in the first leg of World Cup qualifier. 

Think we have a couple of smaller time coaches as well in Germany. Imma have to look it up, but I thought someone was with the Nurnberg youths, and that the Dortmund II was American as well. But they are also dual citizens, so easier for them over there. 

--

Yeah, David Wagner is the man. He was born to an American military dad and German mother, much like most of the Germamericans on the national team squad. He played 8 times for the US too, but spent his entire professional career in Germany. 

Learning a new language isn't the biggest of deals for the managers, either. Most of the them over here probably know a bit of Spanish, because we have so many speaking players over here. And Bradley learned Egyptian quickly while in charge there (helped that he took an old assistant from US who is Egyptian), and he knows Norwegian as well.

I also read this and was going to post a quote from earlier today too:

That's spot on. I'm always a little perplexed about how much hate MLS gets for pretty much no good reason.

Saying that though, I hate some American soccer terminologies with a passion.

"Outside back" oh god why
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:10 pm

More correct though than when an English commentator says half back (position from the WM). But there are definitely some stupid sayings. Clean sheet is much better as well than shutout.
    FCB
    FCB

Post by FCB Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:11 pm

I wouldn't say it's much better. Shutout makes sense. Your defense was able to shut out the opponent's offense.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:18 pm

Meant that (I left that part of for some reason) I prefer it. Shut out makes just as much sense, but to me clean sheet just sounds better.
    Free_Mustache_Rides

Post by Free_Mustache_Rides Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:18 pm

I just realized I left out the quote about people being bitter about the MLS getting better. facepalm

I like using Spanish terminology since I have no idea how I would tell someone the deference between an enganche, volante offensivo, and mediapunta in English. shifty
    Sean

Post by Sean Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:52 am

Release the Kraken is still standard US soccer terminology correct?
    Free_Mustache_Rides

Post by Free_Mustache_Rides Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:49 am

Wow. RoboCubo just saved Guadalajara from being dead last in the relegation table. Guadalajara was losing 1-0 in like the 70th minute and Torres came on and scored a brace.

Pains me that he'll be playing in MLS this summer and not at Guadalajara.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:20 pm

Well it's about time they started playing him. Because it was so weird that they fought for his loan when Houston purchased him and then they were only him in Copa matches. 

Whacky weekend. Revs a hot mess, and NYC and Orlando pacing the East. NYCFC looked rather decent at home, villa was quite a joy to watch. Seattle also dropped the ball at home against ten man San Jose, which was a bit confusing. 

And attendance after 18 games this season is 25,000. Pretty strong, but it will come down some, as NYCFC probably won't pull 43,000 a game (think they are capping it at 33k), and Orlando definitely not getting 62,000 a season. But that does include United's home game, which was a putrid 11k. And Toronto won't play at home for a while as they finish the renovations to make it 30k, and San Jose open up their new stadium next weekend, so no more playing at a college campus. 

And Minnesota will be confirmed as the 23rd MLS club here shortly. Probably for 2019 or 2020. And hopefully Sacramento makes 24 at the same time.
    Sean

Post by Sean Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:40 am

Is there any limit on the number of teams that will be allowed in the league?
    Keyser Söze
    Keyser Söze

Post by Keyser Söze Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:46 am

I don't think there is a limit but in the past they've said 30 teams is "too many".
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Formerly known as : Glen Damon
    Supports : PLAYMAKER

Post by Glen Miller Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:55 am

Will they just cap the league or create a lower division?
    Free_Mustache_Rides

Post by Free_Mustache_Rides Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:29 am

What a coincidence, yesterday I was going to ask about the always increasing amount of teams in the league but my tablet ran out of juice before I could press the send button and I was too lazy to go back into the thread.

Oh and check out Greg Garza at the 44th second.

Oh and America, you had one job... facepalm
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:00 am

I don't think there is a FIFA limit -- though they have made it known that they prefer 18 teams in the top division. There was suppose to be a stop at 24 (Garber previously they would pause at 24), but he basically said the other day that they will look into even more teams pretty much right away (the idea of adding more teams, not necessarily adding them right away). 

But I think it'll be different than what I said the other day. Minnesota is definitely in, which I assume will be 2018. But then bump Sacramento into the next round, with Miami joining Minnesota. The league is giving Miami until the end of the year to sort all their issues out. And with the Ronaldo news, that arrival would make perfect sense (basically the story goes that he will run out his contract at RM, then head over here after the World Cup. He'd be 33 at the time, and Miami is the perfect spot for him). 

Grant Wahl mentioned that way down the road, they might get to 40 teams, and then they would have two separate divisions, and that there could be movement between those two. But he didn't call it pro/rel, and that number is years down the road anyway. I gotta imagine that once they get to 26-30, that there will be a drastic change in the setup of the league. But when they are getting $100m (right now) for new teams coming in, their is little incentive for them to stop.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:14 am

Which major cities are lacking teams right now?  San Francisco, Phoenix, Houston?
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:07 pm

Houston has the Dynamo and Owen Coyle! You said cities, but MLS cares more about media markets (TV) and San Fran, Oakland and San Jose are all counted as one, even though SJ's new stadium is 40+ miles from San Fran proper. But San Fran has never shown much interest, and they definitely wouldn't get a team if Sacramento did. 

Phoenix would be the biggest then, but they have also never really shown much interest. They have a newer USL side, but there are many more deserving cities in my opinion. 

http://www.stationindex.com/tv/tv-markets

Detroit would be an obvious choice too if they went up to 40 or so.
    Sean

Post by Sean Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:33 pm

Isnt Detroits media market covered by Columbus though?

Plus wouldnt it make sense to have at least two teams in close proximity to each other to stoke up a rivalry?
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:47 pm

Can't believe I forgot about the Dynamo, they have Brad Davis.  I remember watching him wreck Philadelphia with his set-pieces.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:08 pm

In in in theory, yes closer rivals would be ideal. A team in Oakland, San Fran and San Jose would be great from a rivalry standpoint. But it wouldn't work for a couple of reasons. One being that right now, that would be over-saturation in terms of number of teams and number of fans. It is still soccer and it still is the US. Also, US fans like teams that cover areas as opposed to specific spots. Like how it's the New York Jets or Giants even though they play in New Jersey. Same with Washington R*dskins and Maryland. We aren't as specific as other places around the world. 

And Detroit is 200 miles from Columbus, so definitely not close enough. They could definitely support a team there if the city wasn't in dire straits financially. 

Yes, Brad was the bane to Philly's only playoff appearance.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:53 pm

Colorado compounded their early season issues by selling Deshorn Brown (who to be fair wanted a go in Europe, and was probably at his height in terms of value) and getting Kevin Doyle in his steed. Wooden spoon a great possibility in the Mile High this year.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 7:01 am