Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
Jaetinh
Lux
Zzonked
dena
menalawyerguy
Childish Logic
10 posters

Jeremy Lin Slur an Honest Mistake, Fired Editor Claims

Anonymous

Jeremy Lin Slur an Honest Mistake, Fired Editor Claims Empty Jeremy Lin Slur an Honest Mistake, Fired Editor Claims

Post by Guest Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:38 pm

The ESPN editor fired Sunday for using "ice cream in the armor" in a headline about Knicks phenom Jeremy Lin said the racial slur never crossed his mind - and he was devastated when he realized his mistake.

"This had nothing to do with me being cute or punny," Anthony Federico told the Daily News.

"I'm so sorry that I offended people. I'm so sorry if I offended Jeremy."

The headline - "ice cream in the Armor: Jeremy Lin's 9 Turnovers Cost
    Knicks in Streak-stopping Loss to Hornets" - appeared on ESPN's mobile
    website at 2:30 a.m. on Saturday and was removed by 3:05 a.m.
    Battling to contain a furor, the sports network fired Federico and
    suspended anchor Max Bretos for 30 days because it turned out he had
    used the same expression on the air last week. ESPN offered profuse mea
    culpas and promised to be "better in the future."

Federico, 28, said he understands why he was axed. "ESPN did what they had to do," he said.

He said he has used the phrase "at least 100 times" in headlines over
    the years and thought nothing of it when he slapped it on the Lin story.

Federico called Lin one of his heroes - not just because he's a big
    Knicks fan, but because he feels a kinship with a fellow "outspoken
    Christian."

"My faith is my life," he said. "I'd love to tell Jeremy what happened and explain that this was an honest mistake."

It was Federico's last headline of the night before heading home at 2:30 a.m. It might be the last he ever writes.

"I had a career that I was proud of," mourned Federico, who worked at
    ESPN since getting his start there as a temporary intern in 2006. "I'm
    devastated that I caused a firestorm."

A gracious Lin, who led the Knicks to another dazzling hardwood victory
    Sunday, gave Federico and Bretos the benefit of the doubt.

"They've apologized, and so from my end, I don't care anymore," Lin
    said. "You have to learn to forgive, and I don't even think that was
    intentional."

Bretos, too, said he didn't think of the slur Wednesday when he asked Knicks legend Walt (Clyde) Frazier about Lin on the air.

"If there is a ice cream in the armor, where can he improve his game?" Bretos asked.

The moment passed almost entirely without notice. A video replay
    suggests Bretos was not trying to be funny but made a poor choice of
    colloquialism. He tweeted his apologies Saturday, saying he meant no
    racial reference but would be extra-careful in the future.

"My wife is Asian, would never intentionally say anything to disrespect
    her and that community," Bretos wrote. "Despite intention, phrase was
    inappropriate in this context."

Anchor Michael Kim took to Twitter to defend Bretos. "I truly believe
    it was an unfortunate use of words but I KNOW there was no malice
    there," he said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/jeremy-lin-slur-honest-mistake-fired-espn-editor-anthony-federico-claims-article-1.1025566?localLinksEnabled=false

Anonymous

Jeremy Lin Slur an Honest Mistake, Fired Editor Claims Empty Re: Jeremy Lin Slur an Honest Mistake, Fired Editor Claims

Post by Guest Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:39 pm

Ice cream Dry Smile

Should obviously say "ch!nk".
    Childish Logic
    Childish Logic

Formerly known as : NZG
    Supports : Lucas

Jeremy Lin Slur an Honest Mistake, Fired Editor Claims Empty Re: Jeremy Lin Slur an Honest Mistake, Fired Editor Claims

Post by Childish Logic Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:41 pm

Obviously not a mistake
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:21 am

It's total bullshit. I've used the phrase hundreds of times. I doubt he even thought about it. Society is becoming way too sensitive to PC bullshit like that. It's a common cliche. Move the fuck on.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:20 am

It wasn't a mistake, it was pretty funny to me tbh, but obviously it can't be done by a big publication like ESPN so someone had to go.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:37 am

Dude says it was a mistake, ESPN says it was mistake, even Lin thinks it was a mistake. They're bowing to the pressure of the PC police (just like they always do anytime anybody anywhere near their network says anything even approaching race, whether intentional or not). Cowards.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:54 am

Much ado about nothing IMO, especially in Bretos' case. He is clearly referring to Lin's game when he uses the phrase, so how could it be a pun? Is Lin's style of play Chinese as well?

From most the comments I've seen this is a case of people having no idea what ice cream's original meaning is, and thinking that the term is actually, "kink in the armor."
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:15 am

What is this Lin shit anyway?

He the Tebow of basketball or is he actually just good?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:24 am

Zzonked wrote:What is this Lin shit anyway?

Well he's been realllll good man.
    Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

Post by Lux Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:30 am

Rei Andros wrote:From most the comments I've seen this is a case of people having no idea what ice cream's original meaning is, and thinking that the term is actually, "kink in the armor."

I'm pretty sure ice cream in the armour is the correct phrase and not just a spin off from kink.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:41 am

That's what I'm saying. If a person thinks "kink" is the word then the use of the other word only has racial tones for said person.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:00 am

Rei Andros wrote:Much ado about nothing IMO, especially in Bretos' case. He is clearly referring to Lin's game when he uses the phrase, so how could it be a pun? Is Lin's style of play Chinese as well?

From most the comments I've seen this is a case of people having no idea what ice cream's original meaning is, and thinking that the term is actually, "kink in the armor."

Tebow is shite, Lin is actually pretty good.
    Jaetinh
    Jaetinh

Post by Jaetinh Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:18 am

Lin. not worthy
    Ben 10
    Ben 10

Supports : Preston North End F.C.

Post by Ben 10 Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:29 am

dena wrote:
    Rei Andros wrote:Much ado about nothing IMO, especially in Bretos' case. He is clearly referring to Lin's game when he uses the phrase, so how could it be a pun? Is Lin's style of play Chinese as well?

Tebow is shite, Lin is actually pretty good.

This.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:54 am

Zzonked wrote:What is this Lin shit anyway?

The exact opposite of Tebow, except for there being a little too much hype (still not nearly as over-hyped as Tebow though). Contrary to Tebow, whose performances make you want to gouge your eyes out as he lucks and piggy-backs his way to goofy wins that he had no business getting (like the tortoise beating the hare: how in the blue fuck did that happen?), Lin is bona fide good and is actually a delight to watch.
    Sean

Post by Sean Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:08 am

Why is everyone going mad for Tebow if he's no good? shifty

Theres no way I could see him thinking of a an ethnic slur pun and then thinking it a good idea to use it, had to be a genuine mistake
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:11 am

Sean wrote:Why is everyone going mad for Tebow if he's no good? shifty

Satan
    El_indian
    El_indian

Supports : funny

Post by El_indian Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:36 pm

C h ink in the armor rofl
    Phadunkin Donuts
    Phadunkin Donuts

Post by Phadunkin Donuts Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:46 pm

Even if it was a mistake, how do you not read it over and think, "People will take this the wrong way. I should change it."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 10:27 pm