Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Kelloggg8
Weather130
6 posters

Fox Sports wins World Cup soccer bid

Weather130
    Weather130

Fox Sports wins World Cup soccer bid Empty Fox Sports wins World Cup soccer bid

Post by Weather130 Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:43 am

ZURICH -- Fox Sports won a bid for the rights to televise the 2018 and 2022 World Cups to American television viewers.

Fox will carry the 2018 event from Russia and the 2022 event from Qatar. Telemundo won the bidding for Spanish-language rights in the United States. Bidding was held Wednesday and Thursday and the announcement came Friday.

ESPN and Univision lost out after holding rights to the 2010 and 2014 World Cups.

The value of the new deals was not disclosed, according to The Associated Press. ESPN and Univision paid a combined $425 million for the existing deal.

An announcement is expected on Friday.

Fox will own the rights to all FIFA events from 2015 to 2022, including the men's World Cup in '18 and '22; the women's World Cup in '15 and '19; and all Under-20 and Under-17 matches.

ESPN, which will televise the 2014 event in Brazil, said in a statement: "We made a disciplined bid that would have been both valuable to FIFA and profitable for our company, while continuing to grow our unprecedented coverage of the World Cup and Women's World Cup events. We were aggressive while remaining prudent from a business perspective.

"ESPN remains committed to presenting the sport of soccer at the highest level across our platforms with coverage of the UEFA European Football Championship, English Premier League, La Liga, MLS and other top leagues and tournaments, including the 2014 World Cup in Brazil."

I am not sure what to think about this result. The one very certain bad thing that happened here was Univision losing the Spanish broadcast rights to Telemundo. Hopefully since this is all so far out in the future that these guys figure our how to do a proper broadcast by 2018.
    Anonymous

Fox Sports wins World Cup soccer bid Empty Re: Fox Sports wins World Cup soccer bid

Post by Guest Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:49 am

Major disaster unless they change their game day staff.

I don't think I can take listening to Warren Barton's "he's got pace, skill, and technique" analysis for a month.
    Weather130
    Weather130

Fox Sports wins World Cup soccer bid Empty Re: Fox Sports wins World Cup soccer bid

Post by Weather130 Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:58 am

Also if they use American broadcasters who claim they are football "fans" that might be a major issue. If Joe Buck and Troy Akiman somehow are annoucing the final I just might have to turn it off.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:18 am

Fuck. Looks like I am watching the World Cup in Spanish or Polish commentary.
    Kelloggg8

Formerly known as : QwertyKirby
    Supports : CF América, Toronto FC

Post by Kelloggg8 Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:29 am

polska. wrote:Fuck. Looks like I am watching the World Cup in Spanish or Polish commentary.

In Canada? Either CBC or Sportsnet I think. I much prefered Sportsnet broadcast in 2006 as opposed to CBC's 2010 broadcast.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:04 am

Weather130 wrote:Also if they use American broadcasters who claim they are football "fans" that might be a major issue. If Joe Buck and Troy Akiman somehow are annoucing the final I just might have to turn it off.

Totally forgot about that. Random NFL/MLB guy pretending like they know the sport. facepalm
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:13 am

I hope they just do the prematch show and get the actual game broadcast from like Sky Sports and I can deal with that. In general I thought the World Cup would usually have like one English language broadcast for everyone to use. If they do this then I could deal with that.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:22 am

This sucks. I prefer ESPN, especially with ESPN3. FOX neeeds to do something similar to ESPN3 (whoever make it free). I was gutted when FOX got the Champions League rights.
    Mustangt125
    Mustangt125

Post by Mustangt125 Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:37 am

Warren Barton isn't bad. But they won a huge contest for the rights to it, they won't mess it up. Troy Aikman wont and wouldn't want to do it. they will do right and have the right announcers.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:24 am

If I were at home then - I would definitely watch it en español
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:29 am

They better get some good commentators like they do for EPL games. Neutral
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:30 am

Imagine a World Cup with the commentary of Ray Hudson.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:32 am

ahlycotc wrote:Imagine a World Cup with the commentary of Ray Hudson.

Heavenly bliss.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:06 pm

ESPN raised the bar of football coverage, I'm confident fox will do well, at the time of production none of ESPN's commentators were tied to the network, commentators are mercanaires, the only worry is production.
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:29 pm

ahlycotc wrote:Imagine a World Cup with the commentary of Ray Hudson.

Imagine if that was for an Argentina v Portugal final, too much Messi and Ronaldo could result in Hudson wetting the bed. Laughing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 6:37 pm