Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Ricky Hatton: "I contemplated suicide"

El Jefe
    El Jefe

Formerly known as : Jay
    Supports : Pixie Lott's Legs

Ricky Hatton: "I contemplated suicide" Empty Ricky Hatton: "I contemplated suicide"

Post by El Jefe Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:20 am

Ricky Hatton says depression almost drove him to suicide after he was knocked out by Manny Pacquiao in 2009.

Ricky Hatton: "I contemplated suicide" _55680755_hatton_pa

In an exclusive interview on BBC Radio 5 live, Hatton explained how his life spiralled out of control in a battle with drink and drugs.

Hatton confirmed his retirement in July and now runs a successful promoting business.

But he said: "I was so down, I was crying and breaking out and contemplating suicide."

Hatton lost to Manny Pacquiao in Las Vegas in May 2009 with a brutal second-round knockout.

He said: "I was going deeper and deeper into depression.

"I was getting depressed. I was going out and having a few drinks. The worst thing you can do with depression is add alcohol to it.

"I needed something to get my backside into gear and pull my finger out. Sometimes you have to hit rock bottom to think, 'Blimey Ricky, get a grip'.

"Depression is a serious thing and, after my defeat to Manny Pacquiao, I contemplated retirement and didn't cope with it very well."

The former boxer's predicament was exposed in a newspaper sting where he was shown taking cocaine.

Hatton added: "For someone in my position taking drugs once is nothing short of disgraceful.

"The reason behind my actions and the way I was behaving wasn't a drink or drugs thing, it was depression. I was so down, I was crying and breaking out and contemplating suicide.

"Half the things I was doing I didn't even read about in the paper. I can't even remember the night it happened - that's what depression does to you.

"I was having blackouts, days on end whether I was drinking or not when I couldn't remember what had happened in my life.

"I thank the News of the World because who knows where it could have ended up.

"A lot of people say, 'I've tried committing suicide' - but there's saying it and doing it and it was coming on a regular basis.

"Being a proud man and a warrior, to get splattered in two rounds like I did, was really hard to come to terms with.

"When I tried to get back into training, I realised the hunger was gone and my career was over.

"Everything got on top of me and it was a really horrible time in my life. I would go out, have a few drinks, start sulking and start feeling sorry for myself.

"I kept coming home and crying to my girlfriend saying, 'I want to end it, I don't want to live'.

"Depression is a very serious thing. People don't realise how deadly it can be."
    CoVkId01
    CoVkId01

Ricky Hatton: "I contemplated suicide" Empty Re: Ricky Hatton: "I contemplated suicide"

Post by CoVkId01 Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:36 am

Sad to read that about Ricky, very happy he's turned it around and is promoting now clap

His only two losses were against the best two boxers in the past decade, I would much rather do that and test myself than avoid the best and keep my undefeated record...like a certain Welshman Rolling Eyes

I'll always remember staying up to watch him fight Floyd, even though he lost it's a great memory Happy Tears
    Mouse
    Mouse

Supports : Sweden Women's National Handball Team

Ricky Hatton: "I contemplated suicide" Empty Re: Ricky Hatton: "I contemplated suicide"

Post by Mouse Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:48 am

CoVkId01 wrote:Sad to read that about Ricky, very happy he's turned it around and is promoting now clap

His only two losses were against the best two boxers in the past decade, I would much rather do that and test myself than avoid the best and keep my undefeated record...like a certain Welshman Rolling Eyes

I'll always remember staying up to watch him fight Floyd, even though he lost it's a great memory Happy Tears

Calzaghe, don't be hatin'
    CoVkId01
    CoVkId01

Post by CoVkId01 Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:33 am

Mc Babel wrote:
    CoVkId01 wrote:Sad to read that about Ricky, very happy he's turned it around and is promoting now clap

Calzaghe, don't be hatin'

I think we've talked about this before Laughing
    Mustangt125
    Mustangt125

Post by Mustangt125 Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:40 pm

Floyd dominated him.
    El Jefe
    El Jefe

Formerly known as : Jay
    Supports : Pixie Lott's Legs

Post by El Jefe Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:18 am

Mustangt125 wrote:Floyd dominated him.
    Ok.
    Jord
    Jord

Formerly known as : SUPAH BURNLEY!
    Supports : Liverpool FC

Post by Jord Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:33 am

Mustangt125 wrote:Floyd dominated him.
    Did he? I didn't know.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:52 am

religion. Ricky Hatton: "I contemplated suicide" 58503
    Mustangt125
    Mustangt125

Post by Mustangt125 Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:14 pm

Yeah Jord I watched it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:38 pm