Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+26
Weather130
dena
fluffy_kittens
VivaRonaldoLAD
SBSP
Childish Logic
David De Great
El Jefe
Ben
Carlos Jenkinson
LFC_Grunners
Theo Filippo
HIBBIES_07
ResurrectionRooney
Scuba Steve
Jamie
Xabi
Grenade
Harrold
Barton
Mal
AriseForLife
Mouse
Zzonked
SpiritOfShankly
Lux
30 posters

Rooney Rule

Anonymous

Rooney Rule Empty Rooney Rule

Post by Guest Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:02 am

Professional Footballers' Association chief executive Gordon Taylor has voiced his backing for the Rooney Rule to be implemented in English football as American lawyer Cyrus Mehri arrived in London to hold talks over the dearth of black coaches in the game.

On Tuesday, Mehri is expected to address the Football Association, Premier League, Football League and League Managers Association about the Rooney Rule - named after the owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers, Dan Rooney, and established in the NFL in 2003 - which ensures at least one black candidate is considered for a managerial vacancy.

Taylor told ESPNsoccernet: "Yes, I would like the Rooney Rule here in England, and the arrival of Cyrus Mehri will be a big boost to putting together a plan that could achieve it. Cyrus won the battle in the States to compel owners of gridiron football to interview a black candidate whenever a managerial vacancy occurred, and I would like this to happen in this country.

"Cyrus was very much the man involved in getting the Rooney Rule implemented in gridiron football. He will talk to us about the effects of having more black managers in American football and how we can achieve it here in this country.

"Let's face it, it is still very sparse the number of black managers and coaches in this country. Although we do have Chris Houghton at Birmingham and Chris Powell at Charlton, we have to make sure there is a much greater opportunity for more diversity in our game.

"The PFA has worked hard over the years with the Premier League, Football League and Mangers Association on this issue. We want more black players staying in the game and moving into coaching and management.

"We still need to maintain vigilance on respect and anti racism on the field of play, but this also needs to move forward into management and coaching. I was in Bulgaria and if there was one big disappointment it was the crowd abuse of some of England's black players."
    Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

Rooney Rule Empty Re: Rooney Rule

Post by Lux Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:07 am

ahlycotc wrote:"We still need to maintain vigilance on respect and anti racism on the field of play, but this also needs to move forward into management and coaching.

OK, so if that is what they want then they should stop trying to force people to give jobs to someone just because of their race.

Black managers who are good and worthy of a managerial role will get the job. There is nothing stopping black people from becoming football managers, especially not racism.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:10 am

i agree with lux although i do not know situation in england if there is a racism like this but to make a rule that there is compulsory to have black manager is racist itself even if the 'intention' is for the 'good' of football and morals

they used to have a rule in south africa rugby that there must be black player in the teams, eventually theblacks became as good as the whites, perhaps even better and they did not need such rule. those black managers in england should strive for the same
    SpiritOfShankly
    SpiritOfShankly

Supports : Liverpool

Post by SpiritOfShankly Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:11 am

Ridiculous it should be whoever the club think is best for the job regardless, Shouldn't have to interview a black person just because there's a vacancy.
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:14 am

Chances are there are some very capable black managers out there, but the main problem is finding them.

If clubs discriminated managers because of race, then surely a lower club could snap up a top quality black manager because bigger clubs don't want him. Then he would help the club to perform above their station and probably move to a big club because they can't afford to discriminate when someone that good is available. It's impossible to tell how well a manager would do without first seeing them perform though, it's much harder to judge than with players.
    Mouse
    Mouse

Supports : Sweden Women's National Handball Team

Post by Mouse Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:20 am

Paul Ince not worthy
    Lux
    Lux

Post by Lux Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:25 am

Mc Babel wrote:Paul Ince not worthy

Proved how wrong these guys are.

Did quite well with MK Dons, gets fast tracked to the Premier League because he was a great player.....maybe even because he was black and he got some publicity from that.

Then they realise that he's not ready and sack him.....proves the point that it's not about giving black managers a chance...it's about making sure they're good enough.

The FA needs to focus on ways to better motivate, encourage, and train black managers to become good managers.
    AriseForLife
    AriseForLife

Post by AriseForLife Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:26 am

Lux wrote:
    ahlycotc wrote:"We still need to maintain vigilance on respect and anti racism on the field of play, but this also needs to move forward into management and coaching.

OK, so if that is what they want then they should stop trying to force people to give jobs to someone just because of their race.

Black managers who are good and worthy of a managerial role will get the job. There is nothing stopping black people from becoming football managers, especially not racism.

You clearly do not understand the Rooney Rule. It has nothing to do with FORCING anyone to give a black man a job. It's about employers being required to at least give a black manager a chance to interview for a job. It doesn't have anything to do with saying they MUST hire this person, it just means they should at least give the chance if the black manager is as qualified to apply as a white, hispanic, etc.
    Mal
    Mal

Post by Mal Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:28 am

Ridiculous rule. Having to interview someone just because of their race is racist itself. It's singling a man out because of his skin colour. I really doubt a black manager would be happy being interviewed because of ethnicity and not his talent.
    Barton

Formerly known as : JMB_94

Post by Barton Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:31 am

AriseForLife wrote:
    Lux wrote:

You clearly do not understand the Rooney Rule. It has nothing to do with FORCING anyone to give a black man a job. It's about employers being required to at least give a black manager a chance to interview for a job. It doesn't have anything to do with saying they MUST hire this person, it just means they should at least give the chance if the black manager is as qualified to apply as a white, hispanic, etc.

I'm pretty sure they are given a chance. It's just that there aren't many in England and most of the time there are better candidates available for the posistion.
    Harrold
    Harrold

Supports : The Gas.

Post by Harrold Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:33 am

Black coaches may get interviews, but you get jobs on talent. You get interviews because of talent maybe these black coaches don't have the talent that the other managers applying for the job have. It's not all got to be about the colour and creed of the applicant which means he didn't get a job/interview.
    Lux
    Lux

Post by Lux Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:34 am

AriseForLife wrote:You clearly do not understand the Rooney Rule. It has nothing to do with FORCING anyone to give a black man a job. It's about employers being required to at least give a black manager a chance to interview for a job. It doesn't have anything to do with saying they MUST hire this person, it just means they should at least give the chance if the black manager is as qualified to apply as a white, hispanic, etc.

I understand that, derp.

The point is, obviously these black managers are not as qualified. Maybe in other parts of Europe where racism is a problem....but here I don't think so.

Why give someone an interview because of their colour? Most managers are hired because of what they have to say for themselves....qualification wise every manager needs to have the same qualifications to manage at the higher levels so that is not a factor. Many managers get appointed because they inspire the chairmen and have great plans for the club, tactics etc. Aidy Boothroyd at Watford...had no managerial experience but decided to apply anyway. The board loved him so much that despite much interest from many other experienced managers...they chose him. That could be the same for a black manager, if or when they are good enough, take the job seriously enough and prepare etc.

They wouldn't be turned down from a interview for their colour. The fact is that if this is implemented, then it will open the door to all kinds of other retarded things, most likely including further and undeserved preference to black managers.

Last edited by Lux on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:36 am; edited 1 time in total
    Grenade
    Grenade

Formerly known as : grenade187

Post by Grenade Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:34 am

AriseForLife wrote:
    Lux wrote:

Similar type of situation though. Every race should be treated evenly.
    Personally if I missed out on a job interview to a guy that got it solely for the purpose of being black then I'd feel racially discriminated. Fucking shit rule.
    Xabi
    Xabi

Post by Xabi Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:35 am

The Rooney rule is to shag grannys and fuck a prostitute while your wife is pregnant
    Mal
    Mal

Post by Mal Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:36 am

This Xabi has to be the worst member on here already. neu worthy
    Jamie
    Jamie

Supports : That Catalan club

Post by Jamie Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:39 am

Absolutely fucking ridiculous rule.
    Xabi
    Xabi

Post by Xabi Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:41 am

Mal wrote:This Xabi has to be the worst member on here already. neu worthy

Thanks i appreciate such an acheivement, i had dreamed of this since i was a baby
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:46 am

Thing is -- it also helps break up the fraternity of coaches who keep on getting hired over and over again despite the fact that they were unsuccessful at previous jobs. Mike Tomlin is a guy who would have never been hired in the NFL before the Rooney Rule, but impressed enough during his interview to get the job -- and he's been to two Super Bowls in four seasons as a head coach.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:13 am

It'll be great for small clubs, you'll get black people sending in letters saying

Dear Doncaster Rovers Chairman

I won the Treble 4 times with Doncaster on Football Manager, I feel I'm ready for the Doncaster Rovers job, and I would like to apply for the managerial vacancy

Regards,
    Leroy Frimpong

Ps. I have black skin

And they'll be in with a serious shout for an interview.
    HIBBIES_07

Supports : Hibernian

Post by HIBBIES_07 Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:16 am

Jamie wrote:Absolutely fucking ridiculous rule.
    Agreed. A manager should be picked because he is the best candidate not because he is/isn't black. That ruling is actually quite racist as I'm sure black people wouldn't want to get a job/interview just because they are black.
    Lux
    Lux

Post by Lux Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:16 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:It'll be great for small clubs, you'll get black people sending in letters saying

Dear Doncaster Rovers Chairman

I won the Treble 4 times with Doncaster on Football Manager, I feel I'm ready for the Doncaster Rovers job, and I would like to apply for the managerial vacancy

Regards,
    Leroy Frimpong

Ps. I have black skin

And they'll be in with a serious shout for an interview.

Someone did that for Middlesbrough...though they were white Dry Smile

The chairman even sent some long reply.
    Theo Filippo
    Theo Filippo

Formerly known as : Filippo Inzaghi

Post by Theo Filippo Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:19 am

I'm thinking of the Ahmed rule next Rolling Eyes
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:22 am

@SubaSteve: What year was he interviewed?
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:25 am

He was interviewed in 2007. Although Rooney had already interviewed another minority before Tomlin was interviewed, he still might not have been interviewed before the rule.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:28 am

Stupid rule.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:30 am

Why limit it to at least one black candidate? Why not just say at least one minority? Anyways, this is a stupid rule.
    LFC_Grunners
    LFC_Grunners

Supports : Liverpool

Post by LFC_Grunners Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:33 am

Ridiculous rule, I don't think that any black person out there would be happy to get an interview based solely on their skin colour. If that person is qualified enough then eventually they will get the role.

Also I think that the lack of black managers atm is because the first black player to be capped for England was only in the 80's the reason there are few black managers is due to the lack of black players back then who could take the step into coaching. Nowadays there are plenty of Black players throughout all the leagues which obviously means that there are a lot more black players who are able to go into coaching over the next 10 or so years.

This rule does not need implementing and over the next few we will see a more "natural" rise in the number of black managers which I feel is a whole lot better than just forcing more black managers into the game.
    Carlos Jenkinson
    Carlos Jenkinson

Post by Carlos Jenkinson Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:58 am

Lux wrote:

"Let's face it, it is still very sparse the number of black managers and coaches in this country. Although we do have Chris Houghton at Birmingham and Chris Powell at Charlton, we have to make sure there is a much greater opportunity for more diversity in our game.
    Ben
    Ben

Supports : United

Post by Ben Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:15 am

AriseForLife wrote:
    Lux wrote:

Well if they are equally qualified then they will be considered. No football club is going to hinder its own chances on racist grounds.
    El Jefe
    El Jefe

Formerly known as : Jay
    Supports : Pixie Lott's Legs

Post by El Jefe Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:19 am

If there is a black manager good enough to be considered to manage a team, I'm sure he will be given as good a chance as any other candidate regardless of whether the rule is in place or not.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 2:41 am