Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Frank Fielding: How my late dad's memory has inspired me.

Drake
    Drake

Frank Fielding: How my late dad's memory has inspired me. Empty Frank Fielding: How my late dad's memory has inspired me.

Post by Drake Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:12 pm

Frank Fielding: How my late dad's memory has inspired me. Frank-fielding-england-cropped

Frankie Fielding rolls up his England shirt sleeve to reveal a tattoo on his wrist that reads “Loved too much to be forgotten”.

Ask the Derby keeper what it’s all about and he tells a sad family story that reminds him every day to make the most of his talents – and to make the dad he lost proud.

When Fielding tries to keep out Ukraine tonight he will spare a thought, as usual, for Frank Snr, who never got to see him play a senior game.

He died, aged 57, of a heart attack while working in the Far East – a week before he was due to fly home and see his son play on loan at Wycombe in his first season.

The Lancashire lad, a product of the Blackburn Academy, explained the moving story as a tribute to a man who made sacrifices to give his family a better life.

He said: “I was 11 at the time when my dad got a business opportunity to go to have his own textile factory in Malaysia.

“He always had his own factory in England. He got this chance to move. He asked if I wanted to go and my other brothers. My mum wasn’t keen on us to go and I didn’t even know where Malaysia was on the map at the time. I just stayed to give it my best shot at football because I was in the academy. I would never have found out what i could do in the game.

“My dad went there to work and put food on the table for us and he sent most of his money home. My mum took me to training. She did everything for me and my siblings. So I am grateful to both of them.

“Dad used to ring home on a Sunday. I was on loan at Wycombe at the time and we couldn’t get hold of him all day. I had a game on the Tuesday against Hereford. My cousin’s boyfriend drove over and told me my dad had died. I went straight home after that.”

Fiedling added: “I’d like to think my dad would be proud of me. The thing that gets me is that the week he died he was supposed to come home and see me play for Wycombe. He never saw me in a first-team game.

“It is a motivator. Life goes on and my girlfriend Holly lost her dad in the same year. We met each other and just clicked because of it. We are best friends and the reason why we get on so well is because we have been through the same situation.

“When it first happened it drove me on but time is a healer. It is not in my mind all the time any more and life goes on and you have to get on with it.”

Fielding is one of the chirpiest characters in Stuart Pearce’s squad and he was called up once for the seniors against Hungary as cover.

“I had an Under-21 game versus Uzbekistan on the Tuesday night. The gaffer told me on Tuesday afternoon I was going to the seniors too! I thought he was taking the mick.

“The senior lads were brilliant. Wayne Rooney came over and said ‘hello, I’m Wayne’. I said ‘I know who you are, pal!’ They must have thought ‘who is this person coming into our circle?’ But I was delighted.”

Fielding is now concentrating on helping the Under-21s out of the group stage tonight and against the Czechs on Sunday.

He added: “Joe Hart is an exceptional talent. To get near playing like him would be a dream come true.

Our keeper situation is in safe hands. You still have Scott Carson and Rob Green.

“Two quality keepers. I have to maintain my Derby form to have a shout for the seniors again.”
    I think this is a pretty sad story tbh good keeper and a great guy Smile
    crump
    crump

Frank Fielding: How my late dad's memory has inspired me. Empty Re: Frank Fielding: How my late dad's memory has inspired me.

Post by crump Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:20 pm

Our keeper situation is in safe hands. You still have Scott Carson and Rob Green.
    Simonc89
    Simonc89

Frank Fielding: How my late dad's memory has inspired me. Empty Re: Frank Fielding: How my late dad's memory has inspired me.

Post by Simonc89 Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:31 am

Frankie Frank Fielding: How my late dad's memory has inspired me. 914411
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:29 am

Great prospect.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:41 am

Is he taking the piss? How is it in safe hands?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 12:54 pm