Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+15
menalawyerguy
Grenade
fluffy_kittens
ricky//habana
Hernandez_14
Kuled
Coatsy
Theo Filippo
Jordi
ResurrectionRooney
Barton
luke.
moscowmadeit3
dena
Danny
19 posters

Michael Owen reveals frustration with Capello

Anonymous

Michael Owen reveals frustration with Capello Empty Michael Owen reveals frustration with Capello

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 5:03 am

Michael Owen has revealed his frustration with the England manager, Fabio Capello, over the apparent end of his international career. The Manchester United forward was last capped in March 2008, when he played the second half of a friendly against France in Paris.

"I've given up trying to understand," Owen said. "I've not given up on England. It's come to an abrupt stop under this manager. You'd have a better idea than me [why that is]."

Owen, who believes he has no chance of a recall as long as the Italian is the manager, has become accustomed to not seeing his name when England squads are announced. "I was disappointed for the first squad I missed," he said, "a little bit less for the next one and after about three or four times, I didn't really expect to see my name. For the first couple of squads I looked at the players [named] and looked at what I had done. For the last dozen squads, I haven't looked. I don't even think about [being picked] now. Honestly.

"It's sad, really. If I keep getting up for something, then [find out] I am not in, I am just kidding myself."

Owen, 31, avoided tact entirely when the possibility was raised of his return once Capello had left the England job. "Cheers," he said. "I hope you are right."

The striker has had to tone down one ambition. Sir Bobby Charlton, who is now a United director, will not have his record haul of 49 England goals taken from him just yet. Owen, who has scored 40, said: "I am not going to kid myself. Every time I saw him I was 'closing on your record, Sir Bobby.' Now I just see him for who he is, a great man."

Owen has not pressed his England candidacy this season. His goal for United against Blackpool on Sunday was his second of a league campaign in which he has started once. His contract with United expires this summer and he does not know if he will be offered a new deal by Mr. Ferguson. "There has been one chat," he said. "I don't want to speak to the manager prior to a Champions League final. Straight after the match, then we'll talk."

Owen has not won the European Cup, having left Liverpool for Real Madrid the summer before the Anfield club won the trophy, when Steven Gerrard inspired a recovery from 3-0 down to beat Milan on penalties in 2005. But Owen now has the Premier League medal that has eluded Gerrard and others.

Owen said he felt the stress of being a peripheral member of the United squad. "I get into a poor cycle. Mentally I am up and down; I'm going to play then I'm not. Physically I would be eating too much, possibly energy foods. It's quite challenging for mind and body. Once in a while I get asked to play and I'm expected to play really well there and then."

There might not be a place for him on the bench against Barcelona at Wembley on Saturday if Dimitar Berbatov joins Wayne Rooney and Javier Hernández in Ferguson's thinking. At least Owen has been involved in the preparations. "We have thoughts on Barcelona," he said. "Three or four days before the Blackpool match our training sessions were about how to work tactically against Barcelona."

rofl
    Danny
    Danny

Michael Owen reveals frustration with Capello Empty Re: Michael Owen reveals frustration with Capello

Post by Danny Thu May 26, 2011 5:04 am

We went through this last night.. Neutral
    dena
    dena

Michael Owen reveals frustration with Capello Empty Re: Michael Owen reveals frustration with Capello

Post by dena Thu May 26, 2011 5:05 am

Fans hate on footballers when they back off from England. Fans hate on footballers when they want to play for England? Michael Owen reveals frustration with Capello 78475

Conclusion: Fans are haters. Michael Owen reveals frustration with Capello 279869

On a serious note, for Liverpool fans it's probably funny to laugh at Owen, and from an objective view it probably is too, but eh I won't knock a guy still trying to do things for his country, no matter how delusional he is.

Last edited by dena on Thu May 26, 2011 5:06 am; edited 2 times in total
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 5:05 am

Saw that but couldn't be arsed to post. Made me laugh.
    moscowmadeit3
    moscowmadeit3

Supports : Emm-You-Eff-See

Post by moscowmadeit3 Thu May 26, 2011 5:06 am

Michael Owen reveals frustration with Capello Tumblr_llm2sr72eN1qcs3bmo1_500
    Danny
    Danny

Post by Danny Thu May 26, 2011 5:06 am

dena wrote:Fans hate on footballers when they back off from England. Fans hate on footballs when they want to play for England? Michael Owen reveals frustration with Capello 78475

Conclusion: Liverpool Fans are haters. Michael Owen reveals frustration with Capello 279869

On a serious note, for Liverpool fans it's probably funny to laugh at Owen, and from an objective view it probably is too, but eh I won't knock a guy still trying to do things for his country, no matter how delusional he is.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 5:07 am

Moscow, you and me both know he doesn't deserve that medal. Deep down he does as well.

Although, his logic is, he deserves this one because he won us trophies on his own.. rofl
    luke.
    luke.

Post by luke. Thu May 26, 2011 5:08 am

Of course he deserves the medal, he played enough games to earn it.

Don't be bitter.
    moscowmadeit3
    moscowmadeit3

Supports : Emm-You-Eff-See

Post by moscowmadeit3 Thu May 26, 2011 5:08 am

hehe I just felt like being a troll.
    Barton

Formerly known as : JMB_94

Post by Barton Thu May 26, 2011 5:09 am

Tbf, i'd rather have Owen in the England squad than the likes of Gabriel Agbonlahor.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 5:09 am

luke. wrote:Of course he deserves the medal, he played enough games to earn it.

Don't be bitter.

Not bitter at all. Josemi didn't deserve a Champions League medal. He played enough games for us, but he didn't do enough.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Thu May 26, 2011 5:11 am

Cases like Owen happen quite a bit in American sports. Great player devotes years to one team, is an all star/world class player, never wins a trophy, but in his final years goes to another team and plays a small role to get his ring (or medal, whatever) I've never had a problem with it, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. His body of work in the PL deserves a medal... if that made any sense.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu May 26, 2011 5:11 am

Alright, what would be 'enough'? Is there an official contribution level you have to have made or something? Is it all squad players who don't deserve a medal, or just ones Liverpool fans don't like?
    luke.
    luke.

Post by luke. Thu May 26, 2011 5:13 am

Laughing

Don't know about Liverpool, but Manchester United are a team, Owen made enough appearances for the team to earn his medal, and scored 1 or 2, maybe more, vital goals on the way, like the last minute to earn a draw at Bolton.
    Danny
    Danny

Post by Danny Thu May 26, 2011 5:13 am

luke. wrote:Laughing

Don't know about Liverpool, but Manchester United are a team, Owen made enough appearances for the team to earn his medal, and scored 1 or 2, maybe more, vital goals on the way, like the last minute to earn a draw at Bolton.
    2 league goals.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 5:14 am

dena wrote:Cases like Owen happen quite a bit in American sports. Great player devotes years to one team, is an all star/world class player, never wins a trophy, but in his final years goes to another team and plays a small role to get his ring (or medal, whatever) I've never had a problem with it, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. His body of work in the PL deserves a medal... if that made any sense.
    Danny
    Danny

Post by Danny Thu May 26, 2011 5:14 am

Tell you what, if we win on Saturday, this place will go through the fucking roof. Owen would get a Champions League winners medal.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu May 26, 2011 5:15 am

He'd nearly have a full set then.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 5:15 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:Alright, what would be 'enough'? Is there an official contribution level you have to have made or something? Is it all squad players who don't deserve a medal, or just ones Liverpool fans don't like?

If you think Owen made a massive contribution to the league title, then that's fair enough. For me, you take his contribution out, you'd have still won it. For me, that is undeserving of a medal.
    Danny
    Danny

Post by Danny Thu May 26, 2011 5:16 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:He'd nearly have a full set then.
    He'd have the full set.

Premier League, Champions League, FA Cup, League Cup, UEFA Cup.

As well as the Super Cup, and the Youth Cup. Laughing
    Jordi
    Jordi

Supports : Saints

Post by Jordi Thu May 26, 2011 5:17 am

He should get another chance.

I want him to get to 50 goals personally.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Thu May 26, 2011 5:17 am

Danny wrote:
    dena wrote:Fans hate on footballers when they back off from England. Fans hate on footballs when they want to play for England? Michael Owen reveals frustration with Capello 78475

Conclusion: Liverpool Fans are haters. Michael Owen reveals frustration with Capello 279869

Adz wrote:
    dena wrote:Cases like Owen happen quite a bit in American sports. Great player devotes years to one team, is an all star/world class player, never wins a trophy, but in his final years goes to another team and plays a small role to get his ring (or medal, whatever) I've never had a problem with it, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. His body of work in the PL deserves a medal... if that made any sense.

Is it just me or are people quoting me with no response, cause it's a bit of a mindfuck. shifty
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 5:18 am

End of the day, this isn't about Michael Owen's medal haul. That is just a few Man United fans trying to bring in another club v club debate.

This is about Michael Owen thinking that he has done enough for England and that Capello hates him.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu May 26, 2011 5:19 am

Who said he made a massive contribution? He's a squad member like Gibson, Fabio, Evans, Smalling, they all deserve their medals. This is just typical bitter Liverpool fans angry at Owen because he did what was best for his career. By any standards, he deserves a Premier League medal for his PL contributions over the years.

Danny wrote:
    He'd have the full set.

You forgot FIFA Club World Cup.
    Theo Filippo
    Theo Filippo

Formerly known as : Filippo Inzaghi

Post by Theo Filippo Thu May 26, 2011 5:20 am

A premier league medal should be enough.
    Danny
    Danny

Post by Danny Thu May 26, 2011 5:21 am

dena wrote:
    Danny wrote:

Adz wrote:

Is it just me or are people quoting me with no response, cause it's a bit of a mindfuck. shifty
    I added in "Liverpool" before you made your conclusion that fans are haters.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 5:22 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:Who said he made a massive contribution? He's a squad member like Gibson, Fabio, Evans, Smalling, they all deserve their medals. This is just typical bitter Liverpool fans angry at Owen because he did what was best for his career. By any standards, he deserves a Premier League medal for his PL contributions over the years.

Danny wrote:
    He'd have the full set.

You forgot FIFA Club World Cup.

Not bitter at all. If he had performed like Berbatov, I would say that he deserved one.

Had we won the title, I'd have said the likes of Poulsen, Konchesky etc didn't deserve one, because of their small contributions.
    Theo Filippo
    Theo Filippo

Formerly known as : Filippo Inzaghi

Post by Theo Filippo Thu May 26, 2011 5:24 am

Owens equaliser against Bolton was vital.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 5:35 am

The "he doesn't deserve a medal" argument seems stupid to me, he won a medal for contributing to the team that won the BPL, even if it's a small contribution it's still a contribution and football is a team sport, everyone does their part for the team as far as I'm concerned, if he hadn't played a single fair enough but he played enough to earn one that's pretty much it for me.

Some people acting like he won the World Player of the Year. Then this whole thing would be more reasonable, but he didn't win any individual award.

Last edited by Ché Guayaba on Thu May 26, 2011 5:36 am; edited 1 time in total
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu May 26, 2011 5:41 am

No, he thinks that Capello hates him and is not picking him because of that. He believes he deserves a place now, when he's done nothing to deserve one.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 3:52 am