Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
Laurencio
Cadbury
samiz
The Zlatan
Lux
ResurrectionRooney
Fanatic
Steadman
LFC_Grunners
Cornholio
dena
15 posters

John Henry, Mission Statement (Liverpool Owner)

Anonymous

John Henry, Mission Statement (Liverpool Owner) Empty John Henry, Mission Statement (Liverpool Owner)

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:05 am

Liverpool owner John W Henry has admitted he was shocked by the club's huge wage bill and lack of squad depth when he secured control at Anfield.

Henry and his Fenway Sports Group consortium completed their takeover at Anfield last October, securing control of the club from the much-maligned pair of Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

The Reds have endured a disappointing campaign with Kenny Dalglish being drafted in to replace Roy Hodgson earlier this term, and Henry feels their struggles are in due down to the state the club was left in by former boss Rafa Benitez and Hicks and Gillett.

"The worst surprise was the lack of depth," Henry told Four Four Two magazine. "Our biggest concern was this issue - and it was a bigger issue than we feared.

"There was a huge, multi-year payroll for a squad with very little quality in depth."

Henry insists he is determined to restore Liverpool to their former glories and has made winning the Premier League his top priority.

"Our number one priority is to win the Premier League title," added Henry.

"There was a huge, multi-year payroll for a squad with very little quality in depth. "

"That is what we take with us each day to work as the force that drives us to excel.

"If we can accomplish that we will have put ourselves in a position to be successful on all fronts. Success is winning championships, nothing less.

"And when you win a championship - and we will - success isn't measured or accomplished by winning once."

So .. non-Liverpool fans, what is your take on this?
    Anonymous

John Henry, Mission Statement (Liverpool Owner) Empty Re: John Henry, Mission Statement (Liverpool Owner)

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:08 am

My take on this is he's saying what he wants, what every Liverpool fan wants to hear.. and we'll have to see if it actually happens.
    dena
    dena

John Henry, Mission Statement (Liverpool Owner) Empty Re: John Henry, Mission Statement (Liverpool Owner)

Post by dena Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:09 am

As if his number one priority would be to not win the premier league. Neutral
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:10 am

dena wrote:As if his number one priority would be to not win the premier league. Neutral

What?
    Cornholio
    Cornholio

Post by Cornholio Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:10 am

facepalm Laughing
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:12 am

Scott wrote:
    dena wrote:As if his number one priority would be to not win the premier league. Neutral

What?

You post his quotes as if they would be surprising to any outsider hearing them, of course he'll wants to win the Premier League, what else would he say.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:15 am

dena wrote:
    Scott wrote:

What?

You post his quotes as if they would be surprising to any outsider hearing them, of course he'll wants to win the Premier League, what else would he say.

First, this post was more so about the LAST couple of lines.

Second, How about getting into the top 4 and consistently finishing in the top four?

Some owners/managers prefer to win the European cup ahead of the League.

It's a very bold statement to make on Henry's behalf. He basically says "we WILL win the League" as if it's a fact, which I thought a lot of people would be surprised at, but no, not you. According to you, it's expected. Rolling Eyes
    LFC_Grunners
    LFC_Grunners

Supports : Liverpool

Post by LFC_Grunners Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:17 am

Read this earlier, Love the guy! Love

And his wife Heart

Steadman
    Steadman

Supports : I have humor, yes.

Post by Steadman Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:19 am

If the club fails to finish in Europe again next year then I couldn't see Liverpool challenging for the title for at least another 5 years.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:21 am

Scott wrote:
    dena wrote:
    Scott wrote:

What?

Second, How about getting into the top 4 and consistently finishing in the top four?

It's a very bold statement to make on Henry's behalf. He basically says "we WILL win the League" as if it's a fact, which I thought a lot of people would be surprised at, but no, not you. According to you, it's expected. Rolling Eyes

Well, yeah.

You guys are Liverpool right, 18 time champions, won the European Cup 5 times, Shankly gates, rah rah rah, stuff like that. You guys slagged Roy for talking about low expectations because you expected more, now your owner comes out stating expectations that a team like Liverpool should strive for and you guys act like it's something amazing. It's an interesting switch. Baseball probably means nothing to you, but seeing as John Henry is your owner it has some parallels, I'm a Yankee fan, we've won the Championship 27 times, hearing our owner say we will win another one in the future is nothing, it's like "dude, we already know this, just make it happen" I would expect the same sort of feeling from Liverpool fans.

LFC_Grunners
    LFC_Grunners

Post by LFC_Grunners Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:22 am

Steadman wrote:If the club fails to finish in Europe again next year then I couldn't see Liverpool challenging for the title for at least another 5 years.

We will come back stronger next year without having to waste time and energy for the Champions League reject cup shifty
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:23 am

dena wrote:
    Scott wrote:
    dena wrote:
    Scott wrote:

What?

Well, yeah.

You guys are Liverpool right, 18 time champions, won the European Cup 5 times, Shankly gates, rah rah rah, stuff like that. You guys slagged Roy for talking about low expectations because you expected more, now your owner comes out stating expectations that a team like Liverpool should strive for and you guys act like it's something amazing. It's an interesting switch. Baseball probably means nothing to you, but seeing as John Henry is your owner it has some parallels, I'm a Yankee fan, we've won the Championship 27 times, hearing our owner say we will win another one in the future is nothing, it's like "dude, we already know this, just make it happen" I would expect the same sort of feeling from Liverpool fans.

So basically you're expecting us to win the League?
    Steadman
    Steadman

Post by Steadman Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:23 am

LFC_Grunners wrote:
    Steadman wrote:If the club fails to finish in Europe again next year then I couldn't see Liverpool challenging for the title for at least another 5 years.

We will come back stronger next year without having to waste time and energy for the Champions League reject cup John Henry, Mission Statement (Liverpool Owner) 279869
    Laughing

All depends what happens in the summer.
    Steadman
    Steadman

Post by Steadman Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:24 am

Scott wrote:
    dena wrote:
    Scott wrote:
    dena wrote:
    Scott wrote:

What?

Well, yeah.

He's basically saying that your club will definitely win another league title but not in the near future and that your owner is saying what your fans want to hear with intent on improving your club's position.
    LFC_Grunners
    LFC_Grunners

Post by LFC_Grunners Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:26 am

dena wrote:
    Scott wrote:
    dena wrote:
    Scott wrote:

What?

Well, yeah.

John Henry broke the curse though! neu laugh I read up on him after the take over, he sort of said the same things at Red Sox and managed to live up to that, When Hicks and Gillet started talking all this nonsense I wasn't as hopeful but Henry seems to know exactly what he's doing.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:28 am

Scott wrote:
    dena wrote:
    Scott wrote:
    dena wrote:
    Scott wrote:

What?

Well, yeah.

I don't recall saying that scratch

I do expect higher expectations from Liverpool fans though, constantly finishing in the top four is something that Spurs fans want, City fans want, maybe this newer generation of Liverpool fans who haven't seen a title raised are different. Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that hearing your owner state that he's going for titles is not something that I would think would get Liverpool fans riled up, what else are you owning the team for.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:30 am

dena wrote:
    Scott wrote:
    dena wrote:
    Scott wrote:
    dena wrote:

Well, yeah.

I don't recall saying that scratch

I do expect higher expectations from Liverpool fans though, constantly finishing in the top four is something that Spurs fans want, City fans want, maybe this newer generation of Liverpool fans who haven't seen a title raised are different. Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that hearing your owner state that he's going for titles is not something that I would think would get Liverpool fans riled up, what else are you owning the team for.

Who said it would get them riled up? Neutral It gets us excited, more like.

It's just a very bold, confident thing to say. That we WILL win the League.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:33 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/8414652.stm
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:34 am

kyro7 wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/8414652.stm

not worthy
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:35 am

kyro7 wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/8414652.stm

Relevance?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:36 am

Scott wrote:

Relevance?
    His comments mean absolutely fuck all.

He's got a lot of teams to beat to win the league, it could very well happen but him saying it will doesn't matter because he doesn't know it.
    Fanatic
    Fanatic

Post by Fanatic Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:37 am

kyro7 wrote:
    Scott wrote:

Relevance?

He's got a lot of teams to beat to win the league, it could very well happen but him saying it will doesn't matter because he doesn't know it.
    Obviously he doesn't know. He is just showing ambition which new owners are supposed to do.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:37 am

Fanatic wrote:
    kyro7 wrote:
    Scott wrote:

Relevance?

Obviously he doesn't know. He is just showing ambition which new owners are supposed to do.
    Exactly, so why is this so special to be posted as a thread? Laughing
    Fanatic
    Fanatic

Post by Fanatic Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:39 am

kyro7 wrote:
    Fanatic wrote:
    kyro7 wrote:
    Scott wrote:

Relevance?

Showing the prodigious ambition Henry has.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:39 am

Fanatic wrote:
    kyro7 wrote:
    Fanatic wrote:
    kyro7 wrote:
    Scott wrote:

Relevance?

What else was he going to say? Laughing

He's making Liverpool fans happy and all that, don't see the point of the non Liverpool fan view like is asked in the OP, he's just said something that is there for Liverpool fans to hope over, and for us to not care about because it means nothing.
    Fanatic
    Fanatic

Post by Fanatic Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:41 am

kyro7 wrote:
    Fanatic wrote:
    kyro7 wrote:
    Fanatic wrote:
    kyro7 wrote:His comments mean absolutely fuck all.

I said prodigious.

He is supposed to show ambition but we didn't expect it to this extent. Even though we are Liverpool, I expected a top 4 guarantee, not something like this.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:41 am

Fanatic wrote:
    kyro7 wrote:
    Fanatic wrote:
    kyro7 wrote:
    Fanatic wrote:Obviously he doesn't know. He is just showing ambition which new owners are supposed to do.
    I said prodigious.

He is supposed to show ambition but we didn't expect it to this extent. Even though we are Liverpool, I expected a top 4 guarantee, not something like this.
    Look at my edit.
    Fanatic
    Fanatic

Post by Fanatic Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:44 am

kyro7 wrote:
    Fanatic wrote:
    kyro7 wrote:
    Fanatic wrote:
    kyro7 wrote:His comments mean absolutely fuck all.

He's making Liverpool fans happy and all that, don't see the point of the non Liverpool fan view like is asked in the OP, he's just said something that is there for Liverpool fans to hope over, and for us to not care about because it means nothing.
    OP is the only one that can answer that.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:45 am

Yeah that's who I'm really aiming this at, Scott sees something positive about Liverpool and thinks he can show it off and be happy by posting it, it's like mate this means absolutely fuck all, have fun with your quotes and wait for him to put it into action.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:00 am

It's good to see he has realistic aims, ie. winning the Championship and not the Premier League.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 9:14 am