Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+32
Sean
SJH
Ra's al Ghul
vel
Theo Filippo
Keyser Söze
ResurrectionRooney
Jordan Henderchip
Trig
Eternal Witcher
Iscquin
Juvendinho
BigJ0526
dena
Scuba Steve
Phadunkin Donuts
Bye_Ya
SophisticatedBeggar
Jorlung
wellz
limerickcitykid
Forest
Cam
Muhkoo
Keanoo
Harrold
Bushido
fluffy_kittens
Weather130
The Maestro
VivaRonaldoLAD
Glen Miller
36 posters

Major League Soccer (MLS) Thread

Theo Filippo
    Theo Filippo

Formerly known as : Filippo Inzaghi

Major League Soccer (MLS) Thread - Page 30 Empty Re: Major League Soccer (MLS) Thread

Post by Theo Filippo Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:19 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:Not a retirement home

http://www.espnfc.us/soccer-transfers/story/2514095/andrea-pirlo-joins-new-york-city-fc-from-juventus
    I can never remember what the argument was that pointed towards the MLS not being one. Laughing
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Major League Soccer (MLS) Thread - Page 30 Empty Re: Major League Soccer (MLS) Thread

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:31 am

Theo Filippo wrote:
    ResurrectionRooney wrote:Not a retirement home

http://www.espnfc.us/soccer-transfers/story/2514095/andrea-pirlo-joins-new-york-city-fc-from-juventus
    I can never remember what the argument was that pointed towards the MLS not being one. Laughing

I think it was along the lines of "An old player once played in the Premier League, so there."
    Theo Filippo
    Theo Filippo

Post by Theo Filippo Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:54 pm

ResurrectionRooney wrote:
    Theo Filippo wrote:

I think it was along the lines of "An old player once played in the Premier League, so there."
    I looked back, Ferdinand going to QPR was one of those examples. Laughing Also Giovinco going to the MLS apparently proved that it wasn't a retirement home.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:37 pm

Away from the retirement home jabs, Robbie Keane's goal a few days ago was immense.  He obviously learned a lot from Berbatov.

ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:24 am

Scuba Steve wrote:Preki to become the manager at Leicester City  Laughing (I actually think he's leaving Sac Republic to be an assistant somewhere in England, surely not the actual manager of Leicester. Could you imagine those optics? PL team choosing a third division American manager??)

You would have to be very stupid to believe something like this. Ranieri appointed Leicester manager today.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Formerly known as : Glen Damon
    Supports : PLAYMAKER

Post by Glen Miller Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:56 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:Away from the retirement home jabs, Robbie Keane's goal a few days ago was immense.  He obviously learned a lot from Berbatov.

Why was the keeper covering the space like an extra defender?
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:10 pm

Dos Santos to LAG confirmed. Orlando still after Chicharito, but that's not likely to happen.
    FCB
    FCB

Post by FCB Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:17 am

That would be nice. Gives me one more reason to go see Orlando play.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:22 am

Scuba Steve wrote:Dos Santos to LAG confirmed. Orlando still after Chicharito, but that's not likely to happen.

Maybe when he is 37.
    Free_Mustache_Rides

Post by Free_Mustache_Rides Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:37 pm

Mt cousin went yo to that match. Thought America was going to have it easy against the galaxy.

Steve what do you think about Klinsman excluding Jozy from the knockout stages of the gold cup?
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:55 pm

Eh. He isn't playing well at the moment, but there also isn't much of a replacement for him. If this were a tougher competition -- or if teams were playing better -- there'd be no way Wondo, Zardes, Arjo and Gordo would be on a trophy winning team (I mean Dempsey, but still). This is why we struggled so much last summer after Jozy's injury. Klinsmann insisted on similar tactics, but had no one else to draw upon. 

After that injury, the only time we looked really competent against Portugal, Germany, and Belgium was in the second 45 against Portugal, and that's just because they were a bad team. 

But, not to get too far ahead of ourselves, we are basically through to the final. Cuba then the winner of Jamaica and Haiti. Even with us under performing and Jamaica looking good, we still should be in the final. So it won't matter much now, but JK and Jozy need to figure it out for qualifying. 

That T&T and Mexico game tonight was bananas.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:40 pm

Goal and two assists for Gerrard last night. Hat-trick for Robbie Keane. Not a retirement home.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:45 pm

I watched the match.  Gerrard looked like the Gerrard of 2009-I can't put my finger on why that is exactly.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:25 pm

Well, for one, he was playing just underneath Keane. Didn't have a duo like Juninho and Lleget protecting him at Liverpool.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:26 pm

We can only imagine how devastating s Gerrard/Keane partnership might have been in the Premier League perhaps 7 years ago.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:44 am

If only Rafa had the same abilities as Bruce
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:22 am

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33680673
    Free_Mustache_Rides

Post by Free_Mustache_Rides Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:53 am

That was a crazy gold cup.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:43 pm

Yeah it was. Think the fact that Panama finished third despite not winning a game takes the cake though. But not sure we will see another tournament like that. And I assume that you all will win the playoff game, but do you think Piojo will be fired tomorrow?
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:13 am

And they say Americans know nothing about soccer.

Major League Soccer (MLS) Thread - Page 30 CLA0PQmWsAALmsd
    Free_Mustache_Rides

Post by Free_Mustache_Rides Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:34 am

I didnt even realize iraola came to the mls. At first I thought this piojo thing would blow over but public opinion seems to not be on his side right now. I've seen a couple club owners critizise him on Twitter (wow that's such millennial thing to say. Laughing) and those dude have a lot of say when it comes to hiring and firing nt managers, so it's starting to not look to good for Herrera.

If piojo gets fired I'd totally get why but I don't want to judge the dude too harshly I'm not a big piojo fan (i wanted queretaro's vucetich) but if someone said something about my daughter I'd probably put my hands on him too. Also I'm biased because martinoli is a classist dickwad.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:44 am

Univision said they had exclusive video of the incident, but then disappointingly, it didn't include any actual punch. But, there's a press conference lined up for later in the day, and the safest assumption would then be that he's going to get fired (or presumably, already has been). Which makes that play-in game even more interesting. 

And yeah Iraola just joined, has played a couple of games I believe. But that team is just so funny. They'd score buckets of goals, but they would lose so many games against competent MLS sides, much less sides built to exploit that team's weaknesses. And it doesn't even include the best player in the league right now, Giovinco.
    Theo Filippo
    Theo Filippo

Post by Theo Filippo Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:32 am

Drogba to Montreal. Laughing
    Free_Mustache_Rides

Post by Free_Mustache_Rides Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:14 am

Lol I didn't even notice Gerard at central defense. And yeah couple of places reporting that piojo already got the Ax. It'll be interesting to see who replaces him and what reaction the players have. They been really public with their support of him lately but I'm a bit cynical about things like that. I just find it hard to believe that there are too many players out there that would risk their nt spots by openly critiziing their boss.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:23 am

Nailed it. 

http://www.espnfc.com/fifa-world-cup/story/2579223/fifa-reform-chief-francois-carrard-defends-sepp-blatter
    Keyser Söze
    Keyser Söze

Post by Keyser Söze Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:26 am

He really did.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:50 am

Which is why only 7 more soccer leagues in the world have higher average attendances. We just don't care! Not too mention the TV numbers for the PL, or Liga MX, or the tens of thousands that attend every Mexico game played in the US. (The million people who attended this year's Gold Cup in the US -- all imported).
    Theo Filippo
    Theo Filippo

Post by Theo Filippo Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:16 am

"Only 7" Laughing
    Keyser Söze
    Keyser Söze

Post by Keyser Söze Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:46 pm

If Argentina don't win comfortably or even worse if the USA somehow manages to win then God help us all.
    Stranger
    Stranger

Supports : Barcelona, PSG, Bayern

Post by Stranger Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:10 pm

Soccer's coming home

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:25 am