Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

U.S. road qualifiers on new network

Weather130
    Weather130

U.S. road qualifiers on new network Empty U.S. road qualifiers on new network

Post by Weather130 Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:30 pm

NEW YORK -- Add U.S. road World Cup qualifiers to the soccer games many American television viewers may not be able to see.

The new beIN Sport network said Wednesday it had acquired rights to U.S. road qualifiers this year and next along with all other qualifiers in the North and Central American and Caribbean region for the 2014 tournament, except for matches involving Mexico.

The network, launched last week by the Al-Jazeera Sport Media Network, is available to only about 7 percent of U.S. television households. It can be received in the eight million homes that subscribe to its tier on DirecTV and DISH, which are available in 34 million households in all.

While the U.S. Soccer Federation owns rights to its home qualifiers, Traffic Sports USA bought rights to the road games from the CONCACAF nations that owned them, and Traffic resold them to beIN.

"We don't control the rights for our away matches but have talked with beIN Sport and know that they have an aggressive plan to expand distribution over the weeks and months to come," U.S. Soccer Federation President Sunil Gulati said in an email. "Obviously, we'd like as wide a distribution in the US as possible for our WCQ matches."

The U.S. has remaining road qualifiers this year in the semifinal round at Jamaica on Sept. 7 and at Antigua and Barbuda on Oct. 12.

Rights to home U.S. qualifiers are held by ESPN. In qualifying for the 2010 World Cup, eight matches on ESPN2 averaged 787,000 viewers and two matches on ESPN averaged 734,000.

The opening U.S. qualifier this year against Antigua in June was seen by 899,000 viewers on ESPN2. The U.S. qualifier at Guatemala four days later was sold from Traffic to Integrated Sports Media and available only on pay-per-view. Integrated would not say how many households bought the match.

The new network also has rights to Spain's La Liga, Italy's Serie A, France's Ligue 1 and England's second-tier League Championship. In addition, it has rights to South American World Cup qualifiers and the 2015 Copa America.

The fact that this means the away games will no longer be on Pay Per View is rather exciting for me. Even if you do not have the channel at least you can go to a bar to watch it now. For a channel that I have had for about two weeks now it has been quite awesome so far.
    Anonymous

U.S. road qualifiers on new network Empty Re: U.S. road qualifiers on new network

Post by Guest Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:17 am

Al-Jazeera taking over the world.
    fluffy_kittens
    fluffy_kittens

U.S. road qualifiers on new network Empty Re: U.S. road qualifiers on new network

Post by fluffy_kittens Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:36 am

fuck this new BeIN network
    wellz
    wellz

Supports : The Troops

Post by wellz Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:12 am

I hate this network
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:25 am

fluffy_kittens wrote:fuck this new BeIN network

wellz wrote:I hate this network

Uhh...what?

Before we were lucky to watch all US away qualifiers because it wasnt under USSF control, now we can, that's a good thing. SA qualifiers are available as well (which before were a game by game PPV event), BIS will come into new homes (cable providers) as time progresses, they are a new network. In about a year you'll be singing their praises.
    wellz
    wellz

Post by wellz Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:26 am

Yes but it's useless to me now , so let me be over dramatic. The only network I truly hate is ESPN and as an American soccer fan I know you understand
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:27 am

I don't shifty

It sucks that ESPN lost the CL because I thought they did an amazing job with it, they aren't the best but hey if you're putting soccer on my TV I can't hate that much.
    wellz
    wellz

Post by wellz Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:32 am

Their direct soccer coverage is top notch, but every other show on that network pretty much disrespects the sport. Shit sportscenter the other day played that Austrian red bulls penalty miss on not top 10 and said it was the New York red bulls. Tony Kornheiser asked Altdore a couple of years ago if he thought
    It was wrong that he got a yellow for taking his shirt off as celebration, completely ignorant to the fact that it's a rule. Skip Bayless says its not a sport. And I have seen US games delayed
    For college baseball
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:35 am

That's individuals opinion though, ESPN isnt a communist network, their analysts can be as dumb as they want to be (ie. Skip Bayless), but when you look at what the network as a whole has done for soccer (CL, major tournaments with high quality production, MLS games, etc. etc.) in this country it's been great. When ESPN executives start to look down on soccer that's when I'll be worried, let the talking heads talk.
    wellz
    wellz

Post by wellz Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:38 am

They dropped the CL though, I do like the MLS coverage and their WC and Euro coverage is great. And yeah
    Skip Bayless is a muppet we all know that. So much of that network is talk shows though and I wish they would have some legitimate soccer talk and I know they don't because "the audience is small" but it would help grow if some Of those primarily football/basketball/baseball guys would talk about it or bring someone knowledgeable on to do so. Feel me?
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:44 am

Yeah they lost it but before ESPN got the rights there was no way you were getting that many CL games on your TV, they showed a lot of games and anyone who wanted to challenge them would have to show more games and do better. Competition between networks is always good because it works out better for the viewers, as the rights switch networks the quality steps up, just look at how NBCSN is doing with it's MLS coverage, it's wayyyy better than FSC.

As for ESPN they brought press pass to North America (FINALLY) but I think it's at like 11pm and 2am Neutral so still a long way to go, but i get you.

fluffy_kittens
    fluffy_kittens

Post by fluffy_kittens Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:18 am

dena wrote:I don't shifty

It sucks that ESPN lost the CL because I thought they did an amazing job with it, they aren't the best but hey if you're putting soccer on my TV I can't hate that much.

It won't be on my TV. I would never get DirectTv or Dish. It's on 7% of TVs right now according to that post. I refuse to pay for extra TV networks like Foxsoccer and GolTV because I already pay a shitload a month for a million other channels, those ones should just be included, it's a crime that they aren't. The only thing I can pray for at this point is that my college picks up Foxsoccer and some of those channels.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:25 am

It's not a crime it's business, I dropped some movie channels and picked up FSC and FSC+ last year, if you want the channels go get them, or be content with streams.
    fluffy_kittens
    fluffy_kittens

Post by fluffy_kittens Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:42 am

dena wrote:It's not a crime it's business, I dropped some movie channels and picked up FSC and FSC+ last year, if you want the channels go get them, or be content with streams.

I'm content with streams and ESPN personally, in the future when my budget isn't so tight I'll probably get FSN but I still don't like it
    Demoz
    Demoz

Formerly known as : 10RLegend

Post by Demoz Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:02 am

beIN will now be available on comcast.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/2012-08-24/comcast-agrees-to-carry-new-bein-sport-network
    Weather130
    Weather130

Post by Weather130 Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:00 am

Once this thing gets put in HD it is going to be a quality network. The main problem I see them having is deciding what games to show live and which to show on a delay. For example today they choose Evion v Lyon over Bolton v Nottingham Forest.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:15 pm

10RLegend wrote:beIN will now be available on comcast.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/2012-08-24/comcast-agrees-to-carry-new-bein-sport-network

I'm telling ya by this time next year everybody is going to love this network.
    fluffy_kittens
    fluffy_kittens

Post by fluffy_kittens Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:27 pm

dena wrote:
    10RLegend wrote:beIN will now be available on comcast.

I'm telling ya by this time next year everybody is going to love this network.

maybe, I'm just sick of soccer constantly being moved around I want it to stay in one place that I will remember not have to look for games on a lot of different channels.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:19 am