Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+10
Laurencio
Bye_Ya
Muhkoo
Trent
GK01
SBSP
fluffy_kittens
Theo Filippo
Jord
The Zlatan
14 posters

Laurent Blanc steps down as France manager.

The Zlatan
    The Zlatan

Laurent Blanc steps down as France manager. Empty Laurent Blanc steps down as France manager.

Post by The Zlatan Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:12 am

The 46-year-old has left his role as Les Bleus' coach after their Euro 2012 campaign, with Didier Deschamps emerging as an early contender to succeed him.

Laurent Blanc has elected not to extend his contract as France coach after two years in charge of his country, the French Football Federation (FFF) have confirmed.

Les Bleus reached the quarter-finals at Euro 2012 before being eliminated by Spain, however their performance against Sweden, a loss that condemned them to second place in Group D, was heavily criticised.

The campaign was also tarnished by a number of feuds within the camp, infighting between certain players, and incidents such as Samir Nasri's foul-mouthed outburst at the French media.

Blanc met with the president of the FFF, Noel Le Graet, on Thursday for talks regarding his future, and both parties took 48 hours to mull matters over.

And it has now been confirmed that the 46-year-old will leave his post in charge of his country, after two years of service.

"At the end of the period of reflection, Laurent Blanc contacted Le Graet, president of the FF to indicate his decision to not extend his contract as national coach," a statement on the FFF's official website read.

"Le Graet has acknowledged and applauded the work carried out by Blanc at the head of the France team since August 2010.

"The executive committe of the federation will meet on Tuesday, and the FFF and the president will make no comments, until a press conference scheduled for the end of this work session."

France went on a 23-game unbeaten run during Blanc's tenure, but it was eventually broken by Eric Hamren's side in their final Group D match.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3284/euro-2012/2012/06/30/3211208/blanc-steps-down-as-france-coach

Ass.

Jord
    Jord

Formerly known as : SUPAH BURNLEY!
    Supports : Liverpool FC

Laurent Blanc steps down as France manager. Empty Re: Laurent Blanc steps down as France manager.

Post by Jord Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:56 am

France were just a little unlucky in my opinion. I saw a lot of their qualifiers and they looked like serious contenders, the attacking football they were playing was amazing. I think a lot of France's mishaps in the Euro has to be pinned on Benzema as he didn't perform nowhere near as well as he did in the qualifiers.

At least he stepped down and didn't get the sack. I believe with another two years under Blanc, France could of improved greatly.
    Theo Filippo
    Theo Filippo

Formerly known as : Filippo Inzaghi

Laurent Blanc steps down as France manager. Empty Re: Laurent Blanc steps down as France manager.

Post by Theo Filippo Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:00 am

Benzema was largely isolated most of the time unfortunately, he's still one of the best strikers in the world for me.
    fluffy_kittens
    fluffy_kittens

Post by fluffy_kittens Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:04 am

so Blanc to Tottenham?
    Jord
    Jord

Post by Jord Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:05 am

Theo Filippo wrote:Benzema was largely isolated most of the time unfortunately, he's still one of the best strikers in the world for me.
    Yeah, he's great on his day. He was often pushed onto the wing for France and then Nasri would actually fill in the strikers role. This happened all the fucking time, In the qualifiers he was much more central and everything played to him came from either Nasri and Ribery and at times it seemed like telepathy.

What they need is someone to play behind or alongside him. Giroud could work, Nasri should be kept off the wing too.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:06 am

Malouda should also be allowed nowhere near the team.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:24 am

SBSP wrote:Malouda should also be allowed nowhere near football.
    GK01
    GK01

Supports : Brisbane Roar

Post by GK01 Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:32 am

fluffy_kittens wrote:so Blanc to Tottenham?

I still reckon AvB is our new manager.
    Jord
    Jord

Post by Jord Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:52 am

GK01 wrote:

I doubt it. Rado Vidosic's job is safe.
    GK01
    GK01

Supports : Brisbane Roar

Post by GK01 Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:04 am

Jord wrote:
    GK01 wrote:

I doubt it. Rado Vidosic's job is safe.

That is true, the man is a great in Brisbane.

Laurent Blanc steps down as France manager. 4342_rado-right
    Trent
    Trent

Supports : Scunthorpe United & St Helens

Post by Trent Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:16 am

I think that Blanc will go to Spurs now, hope he does personally.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:29 am

It's a shame. I think he did a good job with France overall since he took over. They were one of my favorites to win the tournament, but they unfortunately played Spain in the quarterfinals.
    Muhkoo
    Muhkoo

Supports : AFC AJAX X X X

Post by Muhkoo Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:05 am

He needed more time surely, it wasn't embarrassing (Like Netherlands) but i suppose it wasn't satisfactory with the players at his disposal, on the other hand as Ahly said, they could have been playing much better and still faced Spain or Italy.
    Bye_Ya
    Bye_Ya

Post by Bye_Ya Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:11 am

Great news. He did a shit job with the team.
    Laurencio
    Laurencio

Supports : Rosenborg, ManUtd

Post by Laurencio Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:33 am

Jord wrote:France were just a little unlucky in my opinion. I saw a lot of their qualifiers and they looked like serious contenders, the attacking football they were playing was amazing. I think a lot of France's mishaps in the Euro has to be pinned on Benzema as he didn't perform nowhere near as well as he did in the qualifiers.

At least he stepped down and didn't get the sack. I believe with another two years under Blanc, France could of improved greatly.

For me, Benzema was quite good, but was completely isolated up front. Ribery was the useless one, as usual, and Benzema never got any support up front from anyone but Nasri, which simply isn't enough.

Seriously, I can't stand Ribery, he doesn't play for France, he plays for Ribery.
    Juventino
    Juventino

Supports : Llorente

Post by Juventino Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:49 am

Bye_Ya wrote:Great news. He did a shit job with the team.

I thought he did a great job throughout his tenure with the exception of a few questionable decisions. Just think of the rebuilding job he had on his plate after the debacle in South Africa. That French team was in tatters.

What I like about Blanc is that he's a great student of the game, and an astute tactician, to boot. I realized this while he was in charge of Bordeaux (back when I still paid attention to Ligue 1). Although, I do think he made a few grave errors at EURO 2012. Benching the likes of Nasri and Menez prior to the Spain match was terrible. Also, there were other tacticals errors i.e., not starting with two forwards, pushing up Debuchy, starting Reviellere at right-back, and starting Malouda. Granted, Blanc wanted to send a message to the players that were causing friction behind the scenes, but he could've handled it differently and still achieved cohisiveness within the squad. He should've urged his players to unite around the goal of toppling the defending champions, while silencing the critics that continued to doubt that French side.

Then again, it wasn't all Blanc's fault. I thought Mexes and Rami were dire throughout the tournament, Ribery was just...meh, and Clichy was off his game in the last few matches.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:06 am

If M'Vila was fully fit, they'd have topped the group and would've done a much better job against Italy than England did.
    Kuled

Post by Kuled Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:53 am

People seem to ignore what National teams do in the qualifiers and friendlies and rate them at what they've seen in a tournament. France were unbeaten for over 20 games, it's a shame for them Blanc's stepped down, I thought they had recovered well from WC10.
    Paulinho
    Paulinho

Formerly known as : psyroukis
    Supports : Arsenal

Post by Paulinho Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:55 am

Very surprised at Blanc's criticism, thought he did well with France. He just fucked up (like anyone would) by playing that neanderthal Ribery
    Carlos Jenkinson
    Carlos Jenkinson

Post by Carlos Jenkinson Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:38 pm

Can't tell whether the team let him down or whether he is nothing more than decent. In qualifiers they would demolish teams and then win whilst playing completely average, the 20 game unbeaten record reminds me of England grinding out results mostly
    fluffy_kittens
    fluffy_kittens

Post by fluffy_kittens Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:44 pm

GK01 wrote:

me too

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 5:15 am