Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+26
AriseForLife
Dr. Ján Ĩtor
George
Jordi
VivaRonaldoLAD
Kelloggg8
ShakerMatty
Uncle John from Jamaica
Jorlung
Weather130
MickStupp
Danny
Juventino
Roloman4
Paulinho
jeb4eva
Phadunkin Donuts
Trent
Kuled
Sean
Theo Filippo
SBSP
Gegilworld93
Trig
fluffy_kittens
FCP
30 posters

Portugal vs Spain | 27th June | Euro 2012 - Semi Finals |

Poll

Who will make it to the Final?

[ 4 ]
    Portugal vs Spain | 27th June | Euro 2012 - Semi Finals | - Page 12 Bar_left50%Portugal vs Spain | 27th June | Euro 2012 - Semi Finals | - Page 12 Bar_right [50%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Portugal vs Spain | 27th June | Euro 2012 - Semi Finals | - Page 12 Bar_left38%Portugal vs Spain | 27th June | Euro 2012 - Semi Finals | - Page 12 Bar_right [38%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Portugal vs Spain | 27th June | Euro 2012 - Semi Finals | - Page 12 Bar_left0%Portugal vs Spain | 27th June | Euro 2012 - Semi Finals | - Page 12 Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Portugal vs Spain | 27th June | Euro 2012 - Semi Finals | - Page 12 Bar_left12%Portugal vs Spain | 27th June | Euro 2012 - Semi Finals | - Page 12 Bar_right [12%] 

Total Votes: 8
    Anonymous

Portugal vs Spain | 27th June | Euro 2012 - Semi Finals | - Page 12 Empty Re: Portugal vs Spain | 27th June | Euro 2012 - Semi Finals |

Post by Guest Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:51 am

Novi, The Creator wrote:
    akaranzo wrote:Some of you are real fucking idiots Laughing Any person has the right to support whoever they want. I agree - if they change who they support every season then that's retarded and those people can be called glory hunters, but this is not the case right now, Ahly doesn't do that, nor do I. It's kind of logical that we support Spain at the Euros if we are Barca fans isn't it?

Supports: FC Barcelona

This explains everything.
    Anonymous

Portugal vs Spain | 27th June | Euro 2012 - Semi Finals | - Page 12 Empty Re: Portugal vs Spain | 27th June | Euro 2012 - Semi Finals |

Post by Guest Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:52 am

Portugal vs Spain | 27th June | Euro 2012 - Semi Finals | - Page 12 23292_125458634145471_3709_n
    Kuled

Post by Kuled Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:56 am

Are you talking to yourself?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:59 am

Portugal vs Spain | 27th June | Euro 2012 - Semi Finals | - Page 12 23292_125458634145471_3709_n
    Carlos Jenkinson
    Carlos Jenkinson

Post by Carlos Jenkinson Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:53 am

akaranzo wrote:Some of you are real fucking idiots Laughing Any person has the right to support whoever they want. I agree - if they change who they support every season then that's retarded and those people can be called glory hunters, but this is not the case right now, Ahly doesn't do that, nor do I. It's kind of logical that we support Spain at the Euros if we are Barca fans isn't it?

No because a lot of Barcelona fans couldn't give a single fuck about Spain
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:20 pm

Quite weird to have a player like Ronaldo go last overall, I'd want my best PK taker going somewhere around 3rd.
    mac
    mac

Supports : Liverpool

Post by mac Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:49 pm

dena wrote:Quite weird to have a player like Ronaldo go last overall, I'd want my best PK taker going somewhere around 3rd.

I'm also wondering why Pepe and Bruno Alves were chosen for the pens. I can understand Pepe to an extent and he scored his as well but Bruno Alves blasted his and it would have gone over if it didn't hit the post.

I would have chosen Moutinho (even though he missed because it was soft and too simple for Casillas), Pepe, Ronaldo, Coentrao and Nani in that order.

Last edited by mac on Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:49 pm

Nani buried his (best one on the night) and Meireles was already subbed.
    mac
    mac

Supports : Liverpool

Post by mac Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:53 pm

Glen Damon wrote:Nani buried his (best one on the night) and Meireles was already subbed.

My bad. I was at work and was watching the game on and off. I missed some of the pens too. Well, who else was on during the pens? I still think Coentrão would have been a better choice than Bruno Alves.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:38 pm

Portugal vs Spain | 27th June | Euro 2012 - Semi Finals | - Page 12 255301_389771084415146_1556341332_n
    Phadunkin Donuts
    Phadunkin Donuts

Post by Phadunkin Donuts Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:43 pm

Was waiting for 4-4 so he could be in all the papers.
    Kuled

Post by Kuled Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:44 pm

Paulo Bento: "The 5th penalty would have been Ronaldo’s"
    Juventino
    Juventino

Supports : Llorente

Post by Juventino Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:56 pm

Portugal vs Spain | 27th June | Euro 2012 - Semi Finals | - Page 12 22630747

shifty
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:57 pm

Just saw that. Laughing
    Juventino
    Juventino

Supports : Llorente

Post by Juventino Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:58 pm

Kuled wrote:
    Paulo Bento: "The 5th penalty would have been Ronaldo’s"

Thank you for that, Kuled.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:59 pm

Portugal vs Spain | 27th June | Euro 2012 - Semi Finals | - Page 12 22630842
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:36 pm

dena wrote:Quite weird to have a player like Ronaldo go last overall, I'd want my best PK taker going somewhere around 3rd.

It makes sense to save him for the more pressure-packed kicks, but once a situation arises where you are not guaranteed to get another kick if you miss the current kick, then the guy has to take that penalty. There's no excuse not to use him on that 4th kick. If they were holding him back so he could potentially have the glory of taking a game winning kick, then that is so fucking gay and so fucking typical of Ronaldo's prima donna attitude. The guy gets douchier by the day.

Last edited by menalawyerguy on Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
    Kuled

Post by Kuled Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:42 pm

Maybe Casillas just saves Ronaldo's penalties all the time and he wasn't so confident.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:01 am

Kuled wrote:Maybe Casillas just saves Ronaldo's penalties all the time and he wasn't so confident.

Ok. So he's either a scared pussy or a selfish glory-hungry prima donna
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:03 am

menalawyerguy wrote:

It makes sense to save him for the more pressure-packed kicks, but once a situation arises where you are not guaranteed to get another kick if you miss the current kick, then the guy has to take that penalty. There's no excuse not to use him on that 4th kick. If they were holding him back so he could potentially have the glory of taking a game winning kick, then that is so fucking gay and so fucking typical of Ronaldo's prima donna attitude. The guy gets douchier by the day.

you cant change your order in the middle of a pen shootout..
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:08 am

Then the announcers were misinformed because they made it seem like the kick takers are chosen on a kick-by-kick basis.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:19 am

If that was the case Bruno Alves would have never conceded his kick to Nani. Ultimately, I feel that played a part in his miss.
    Theo Filippo
    Theo Filippo

Formerly known as : Filippo Inzaghi

Post by Theo Filippo Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:22 am

ViVa, there isn't an official list of PK takers you have to give to the officials.
    Phadunkin Donuts
    Phadunkin Donuts

Post by Phadunkin Donuts Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:31 am

menalawyerguy wrote:

Keep Normal
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:38 am

Wait, so you can change penalty takers on the fly? If that's the case why in the hell did Nani take that kick away from Bruno Alves.

Man, seems like a lot of unnecessary pressure to add on the poor guy. Bad enough having to go up there once let alone twice. Should of just taken it and be done with it.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:39 am

But let's stop and think about it for a second. Aren't we used to applauding players for stepping up to take the biggest shot? In basketball, aren't guys like LeBron James, Kobe Bryant and Kevin Durant applauded when they take the winning shot, and criticized when they don't? Why then, is there a double standard for Cristiano Ronaldo?

You might say that there are different standards in football, but are there really? Many of football's biggest players have made similar decisions:

In the 2012 Champions League final, Didier Drogba took the fifth and final penalty against Bayern Munich, winning the title for Chelsea.
    In the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations, Drogba took the fifth penalty in the penalty shootout with Zambia. His team would go on to lose, but he effectively made the same decision as Ronaldo to take what would've normally been the winning (and highest pressure) penalty.
    Also in the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations, Seydou Keita took the fifth and winning penalty in the quarterfinals penalty shootout against Gabon.
    In the 2006 World Cup, Cristiano Ronaldo saved himself for fifth penalty in the shootout against England. In that shootout, Ronaldo's penalty won Portugal the game and took them into the semifinals.
    In the 2006 Africa Cup of Nations, Nwankwo Kanu, then Nigeria's best player, took the winning penalty against Tunisia in the quarterfinals.
    Also in the 2006 Africa Cup of Nations, Drogba took the 12th penalty and final penalty of the game, winning the quarterfinal against Cameroon.
    Finally, once again in the 2006 Africa Cup of Nations, Mohamed Aboutreika, then Egypt's best player, stepped up to take Egypt's fifth and final penalty against the Ivory Coast, winning the game and securing the title for his country.

The point is to show that in all the scenarios listed above, the players above were heralded as heroes. They were all applauded for their decision to stay patient and take the last penalty of the game. Why is Ronaldo criticized for following their line of reasoning?

interesting

i mean if ronaldo takes 4th kick and scores.. that puts even more pressure on alves to score, a player that is nowhere near the ability as ronaldo so i think this ronaldo hate is abit harsh.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:39 am

Theo Filippo wrote:ViVa, there isn't an official list of PK takers you have to give to the officials.

i was under the impression that there is.. they write down their pen takers and then hand em to the officials. why else would they write them down
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:14 am

ViVaRooney wrote:But let's stop and think about it for a second. Aren't we used to applauding players for stepping up to take the biggest shot? In basketball, aren't guys like LeBron James, Kobe Bryant and Kevin Durant applauded when they take the winning shot, and criticized when they don't? Why then, is there a double standard for Cristiano Ronaldo?

You might say that there are different standards in football, but are there really? Many of football's biggest players have made similar decisions:

In the 2012 Champions League final, Didier Drogba took the fifth and final penalty against Bayern Munich, winning the title for Chelsea.
    In the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations, Drogba took the fifth penalty in the penalty shootout with Zambia. His team would go on to lose, but he effectively made the same decision as Ronaldo to take what would've normally been the winning (and highest pressure) penalty.
    Also in the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations, Seydou Keita took the fifth and winning penalty in the quarterfinals penalty shootout against Gabon.
    In the 2006 World Cup, Cristiano Ronaldo saved himself for fifth penalty in the shootout against England. In that shootout, Ronaldo's penalty won Portugal the game and took them into the semifinals.
    In the 2006 Africa Cup of Nations, Nwankwo Kanu, then Nigeria's best player, took the winning penalty against Tunisia in the quarterfinals.
    Also in the 2006 Africa Cup of Nations, Drogba took the 12th penalty and final penalty of the game, winning the quarterfinal against Cameroon.
    Finally, once again in the 2006 Africa Cup of Nations, Mohamed Aboutreika, then Egypt's best player, stepped up to take Egypt's fifth and final penalty against the Ivory Coast, winning the game and securing the title for his country.

The point is to show that in all the scenarios listed above, the players above were heralded as heroes. They were all applauded for their decision to stay patient and take the last penalty of the game. Why is Ronaldo criticized for following their line of reasoning?

THEN? He still is! Laughing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 2:33 am