Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
Zzonked
ResurrectionRooney
Sean
Bye_Ya
menalawyerguy
Grenade
SophisticatedBeggar
11 posters

Refusing to be called up to the national football team.

Anonymous

Refusing to be called up to the national football team.  Empty Refusing to be called up to the national football team.

Post by Guest Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:37 pm

What do you guys think about this?

I ask because recently both Carlos Vela and Johnathon dos Santos have refused joining the national team for the Olympics. Apparently this pissed off some of the Mexican football higher ups and they have asked National Head Coach to not call up dos Santos and Vela for future competitions and friendlies. It's just a rumored but I wouldn't be suprised if it's true.

And just to be clear on it in case anyone asks Hernandez did not refuse to join the Olympic team, he wanted to go but Alex Ferguson would not release him.

Which the differing situations, was the basis of this humorous cartoon.

Spoiler:
    Anonymous

Refusing to be called up to the national football team.  Empty Re: Refusing to be called up to the national football team.

Post by Guest Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:52 pm

Shameful behavior. Did they give any reasons for their refusal?
    Anonymous

Refusing to be called up to the national football team.  Empty Re: Refusing to be called up to the national football team.

Post by Guest Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:02 pm

Vela has done it a few times, he missed a few friendlies because he wanted to concentrate on his club and he's now been saying he does not want to be called up for "personal reasons."

dos Santos I think is so he can concentrate in earning a place at Barcelona.(lulz)

I don't think they will be missed(although both have been doing really well) and it's kinda messed up how there are tons of players that would kill to get called up and here these scrubs are refusing national duty.

Don't know if lifetime bans are in order though. Some people for sure think their choices will cost them a trip to the 2014 world cup(if Mexico qualifies.)
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:04 pm

"If Mexico qualifies." Does not compute.

You'd think Vela would try to put himself on the international stage to get a good transfer away from Arsenal.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:11 pm

On the other hand playing well for Mexico might make Arsenal think it be worth trying to squeeze a bit more out of him when sale time comes along.

I've heard some people argue that this happens to Gio, Gio plays very well for Mexico so Tottenham try to get more money for him than they usually would if he was poor or not called up. That's what some people think anyhow.

But even though I don't like Vela because of his shitty attitude and ungratefulness he should be in Mexico's squad. He's scored more than Theo Walcott in less games, playing in similar positions and Theo is in the England set up, a better national team.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:17 pm

its their decision, who cares

the thing is they should never be called up again
    SophisticatedBeggar
    SophisticatedBeggar

Post by SophisticatedBeggar Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:23 pm

I think that Jona is getting brainwashed by his dad. He will have a chance of getting into the first team (not starting XI) at one point or another, but he turned down the only chance of playing in the Olympics. A decision he will later regret. Shame, as he really is a quality player, and one who Mexico can certainly use.
    Grenade
    Grenade

Formerly known as : grenade187

Post by Grenade Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:33 pm

Carlos Vela is one lazy fucker.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:48 pm

And just to be clear on it in case anyone asks Hernandez did not refuse to join the Olympic team, he wanted to go but Alex Ferguson would not release him.

What do you mean "release" him? Since when do club managers have authority to release or not release players for international duty, especially during the club offseason?
    Grenade
    Grenade

Formerly known as : grenade187

Post by Grenade Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:51 pm

Ferguson is holding him against his will Refusing to be called up to the national football team.  3925848005
    Bye_Ya
    Bye_Ya

Post by Bye_Ya Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:03 pm

Yeah, I don't get it. The international stage is a great place to be for players looking to make a name. Mexico should have a decent team. These players would probably do the best for themselves by actually putting on a good showing at the Olympics, unless they feel for whatever reason that they wouldn't get enough playing time to do so. That shouldn't be an issue for Vela or Santos though.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:30 pm

If they don't want to play then they don't have to.
    Sean

Post by Sean Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:56 pm

The Olympics would be great to play in.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:02 pm

I really hope for his sake that we don't screw Hernandez over, by keeping him out of it then hardly playing him.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:25 pm

menalawyerguy wrote:

What do you mean "release" him? Since when do club managers have authority to release or not release players for international duty, especially during the club offseason?

The Olympic football tournament is the exception to this. FIFA and COAFS have ruled that players over the age of selection can be retained by their clubs.
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:39 pm

Depends why they're refusing to be called up. If it's because they don't feel fully fit and would be risking an injury, I can understand that.
    Trent
    Trent

Supports : Scunthorpe United & St Helens

Post by Trent Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:18 pm

Ché Guayaba wrote:What do you guys think about this?

I ask because recently both Carlos Vela and Johnathon dos Santos have refused joining the national team for the Olympics. Apparently this pissed off some of the Mexican football higher ups and they have asked National Head Coach to not call up dos Santos and Vela for future competitions and friendlies. It's just a rumored but I wouldn't be suprised if it's true.

Which the differing situations, was the basis of this humorous cartoon.

Spoiler:
    That second picture is pure quality Laughing
    Carlos Jenkinson
    Carlos Jenkinson

Post by Carlos Jenkinson Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:27 pm

I don't have a problem with it if players represent a different country to the one they've grown up in or were born in, it's how patriotic you feel to either one. However I dislike that players like Paul Robinson or Sebastien Frey who have been there but don't want to play second fiddle, I find that more annoying than people choosing different countries. I mean if I was a professional footballer, and England were in the same state I wouldn't want to represent them
    BMxJoga
    BMxJoga

Post by BMxJoga Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:59 am

I can understand Jonathan and Chicharitato's predicament. I think it is better for your future if they stay and fight to be in the starting 11 at their clubs(don't know how successful they'll be though). IDK about Vela but maybe he's just bitter or annoyed with not getting called up for your full NT when he was performing well(consistent) for Sociedad.
    Kelloggg8

Formerly known as : QwertyKirby
    Supports : CF América, Toronto FC

Post by Kelloggg8 Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:49 am

I don't mind Dos Santos, this is just the olympics. But Vela has refused both the olympics and senior games. I think he is butthurt from that 6-month suspension. It's probably best that he isn't in the national team.

Luckily Mexico has enough talent coming out and it will be good for other players as it will give them opportunities to show themselves.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 4:52 pm