Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+26
Glen Miller
The Bat-Man
Childish Logic
Mason
Kuled
Carlos Jenkinson
The Zlatan
Jordi
Harrold
Mouse
menalawyerguy
The_Quilo
Ra's al Ghul
El_indian
Paulinho
Jorlung
Andy
luke.
Theo Filippo
Mal
ResurrectionRooney
Phadunkin Donuts
Zzonked
Lux
Gegilworld93
Mustangt125
30 posters

Messi Calls Drenthe Negro

El_indian
    El_indian

Supports : funny

Messi Calls Drenthe Negro - Page 2 Empty Re: Messi Calls Drenthe Negro

Post by El_indian Wed May 09, 2012 12:27 pm

That article is a fucking terrible read.
    Ra's al Ghul
    Ra's al Ghul

Post by Ra's al Ghul Wed May 09, 2012 12:31 pm

I had no idea that Royston Drenthe was part of the cast of Heroes.
    El_indian
    El_indian

Post by El_indian Wed May 09, 2012 12:32 pm

Messi doesn't usually do this, but in this video he chooses to make a point of embarrassing Drenthe..

Paulinho
    Paulinho

Formerly known as : psyroukis
    Supports : Arsenal

Post by Paulinho Wed May 09, 2012 1:50 pm

BladeGunner wrote:I had no idea that Royston Drenthe was part of the cast of Heroes.

Laughing
    Phadunkin Donuts
    Phadunkin Donuts

Post by Phadunkin Donuts Wed May 09, 2012 1:52 pm

El_indian wrote:Messi doesn't usually do this, but in this video he chooses to make a point of embarrassing Drenthe..

Oh my.. brb Messi Calls Drenthe Negro - Page 2 13664
    The_Quilo
    The_Quilo

Supports : Manchester United

Post by The_Quilo Wed May 09, 2012 1:57 pm

ScottyBoy_1989 wrote:
    ResurrectionRooney wrote:

True, but that's mainly as a result of Liverpool FC's attempts to defend the indefensible. If it was a normal team there'd be no need to have these long arguments about it, because he wouldn't be defended so vociferously flying in the face of all logic. Suarez also has a laundry list of sins, the racism was the latest.

BOOOOOOOOOORINGGGG.

Fuck off you prick.

Maybe saying 'Negro' in Spain isn't taken as offensive, and I don't know the rules for that word in La Liga, but in England it's clear, no matter what background you come from, you do not say that word.

And even if Suarez had a case about people in Uruguay friendly calling black people negro, he uttered the word in a less than friendly manner, attempting to bring out a reaction from Evra. No matter who you are, you CANNOT in any league get away with telling a player "I kicked you because of your race" regardless of the ethnicity or the team of the player.

Suarez more than deserved the 8 match ban, and Honestly, I'm surprised it wasn't longer.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed May 09, 2012 2:00 pm

Liverpool fans just don't want to put it to bed, do they? They claim people react harsh towards Suarez, yet they are the ones who always bring it up after months and continue to defend a guilty man.

What Messi did was nothing like what Suarez did. Messi said "hola negro". Suarez said "I don't speak to negros". I can't believe I have to repeat myself everytime this comes up. It's not the word that's the problem. It's the context and intentions behind it. Here, Messi was using it in a friendly, normal manner. Suarez was using it with the intentions of winding up an opponent during a match.
    Mustangt125
    Mustangt125

Post by Mustangt125 Wed May 09, 2012 3:34 pm

Hey I can't be held responsible for Drenthe's shitty English nor can I be held responsible for him sucking and getting run around by Messi.

But many of these responses are typical. I never defended Suarez in the post at all. In fact, all I implied was that Messi and those other Argentines mentioned should be lambasted as racists now, too. But even then you should all be calling Higuain and Heinze racist disgraces to the game. And I grew just as tired of the saga as you guys all did, but it was interesting to see a different player in similar circumstances and to see the responses on this forum, well...it's about the most predictable thing ever outside a few of you.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed May 09, 2012 3:41 pm

Mustangt125 wrote:Hey I can't be held responsible for Drenthe's shitty English nor can I be held responsible for him sucking and getting run around by Messi.

But many of these responses are typical. I never defended Suarez in the post at all. In fact, all I implied was that Messi and those other Argentines mentioned should be lambasted as racists now, too. But even then you should all be calling Higuain and Heinze racist disgraces to the game. And I grew just as tired of the saga as you guys all did, but it was interesting to see a different player in similar circumstances and to see the responses on this forum, well...it's about the most predictable thing ever outside a few of you.

Here are the responses to that...

ResurrectionRooney wrote:It's not the language used you fucking stupid prick! He wasn't punished for saying negro, he was punished for saying "I kicked you because you are black" and "I don't speak to blacks" in an attempt to goad Evra into punching him. If he had said negro in a friendly way there would be absolutely nothing wrong with it, he wouldn't have been banned, and he wouldn't deserve to be banned.

The_Quilo wrote:Fuck off you prick.

Maybe saying 'Negro' in Spain isn't taken as offensive, and I don't know the rules for that word in La Liga, but in England it's clear, no matter what background you come from, you do not say that word.

And even if Suarez had a case about people in Uruguay friendly calling black people negro, he uttered the word in a less than friendly manner, attempting to bring out a reaction from Evra. No matter who you are, you CANNOT in any league get away with telling a player "I kicked you because of your race" regardless of the ethnicity or the team of the player.

Suarez more than deserved the 8 match ban, and Honestly, I'm surprised it wasn't longer.

ahlycotc wrote:Liverpool fans just don't want to put it to bed, do they? They claim people react harsh towards Suarez, yet they are the ones who always bring it up after months and continue to defend a guilty man.

What Messi did was nothing like what Suarez did. Messi said "hola negro". Suarez said "I don't speak to negros". I can't believe I have to repeat myself everytime this comes up. It's not the word that's the problem. It's the context and intentions behind it. Here, Messi was using it in a friendly, normal manner. Suarez was using it with the intentions of winding up an opponent during a match.

I don't know why you continue to defend a man's actions that is clearly in the wrong.
    Mustangt125
    Mustangt125

Post by Mustangt125 Wed May 09, 2012 3:53 pm

He was wrong, there's no doubt about it and I wish it had been handled better. Not happy about the way the club went about it either, but it's typical that the "translation' and "culture" excuses placate all of you in a second, but for suarez it didnt matter and that excuse was garbage.

Just wonder why there's no media outrage and constant booing for Henzie, Higuain, and Messi everytime they touch the ball at an away stadium.

Surely you see the comparisons here, youre smart enough. This thread is blatantly more of a comparison than a defense of Suarez as the punishment has already been levied, though there's no doubt nobody willl give a shit about the other players.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed May 09, 2012 5:32 pm

Mustangt125 wrote:He was wrong, there's no doubt about it and I wish it had been handled better. Not happy about the way the club went about it either, but it's typical that the "translation' and "culture" excuses placate all of you in a second, but for suarez it didnt matter and that excuse was garbage.

Just wonder why there's no media outrage and constant booing for Henzie, Higuain, and Messi everytime they touch the ball at an away stadium.

Surely you see the comparisons here, youre smart enough. This thread is blatantly more of a comparison than a defense of Suarez as the punishment has already been levied, though there's no doubt nobody willl give a shit about the other players.

Why do you continue to compare the two situations when they are nothing alike? The ONLY similarity between what Messi did and what Suarez did is they both used the word "negro". However, the context was completely different. Why do people not outrage over Messi, Higuain, etc.? Because there is nothing to outrage over.

What you are doing is like trying to compare a KKK member with a typical rapper for both using the N-word. I'm not saying that Suarez is as bad as a KKK member or that he is even racist. But he did use the word in a manner to wind up a player. In fact, I find that even more disgusting. A person who uses racial slurs to wind someone up (without really being a racist person) is worse than a blatant racist.
    The_Quilo
    The_Quilo

Supports : Manchester United

Post by The_Quilo Wed May 09, 2012 5:38 pm

Mustangt125 wrote:He was wrong, there's no doubt about it and I wish it had been handled better. Not happy about the way the club went about it either, but it's typical that the "translation' and "culture" excuses placate all of you in a second, but for suarez it didnt matter and that excuse was garbage.

But there is no evidence that Heinze and Higuain used the word negro in an offending manner. For all we know, they just said 'hola negro' to one of their team mates in a friendly manner.

If Suarez said 'hola negro' to Evra, nobody would have given a rats ass, but he said it in an unfriendly manner, that is why he is the racist and not Messi, Higuain, Heinze.

Unless you reveal evidence of Hugain, Heinze and Messi purposefully saying the word to wind up their team mates, you have no point.
    El_indian
    El_indian

Post by El_indian Wed May 09, 2012 5:38 pm

ahlycotc wrote:

Why do you continue to compare the two situations when they are nothing alike? The ONLY similarity between what Messi did and what Suarez did is they both used the word "negro". However, the context was completely different. Why do people not outrage over Messi, Higuain, etc.? Because there is nothing to outrage over.

What you are doing is like trying to compare a KKK member with a typical rapper for both using the N-word. I'm not saying that Suarez is as bad as a KKK member or that he is even racist. But he did use the word in a manner to wind up a player. In fact, I find that even more disgusting. A person who uses racial slurs to wind someone up (without really being a racist person) is worse than a blatant racist.

I'm not saying Messi is a racist or anything, but isn't Drenthe trying to say he meant it in a derogatory way....?

"You know what bothers me so? That tone with which he always "negro,
    negro 'told me. I understand that negro in South America is very common,
    but we can not stand it. "

"Mahamadou Diarra, my teammate at Real, could explode if negro said to
    him. The Argentinean Gabriel Heinze and Gonzalo Higuain said it
    initially on the training of Real, but they are stopped. "

This was according Drenthe not Messi, who two seasons ago for the last clashed with the world footballer of the year.

"When we won Hercules Alicante to Barcelona. During the race I had a
    small altercation with him. For the game he gave me a hand in the match
    was again a few times 'hola negro'. "

Did you not read the OP?

Of course there is no evidence of this, but it is what Drenthe is saying, and this is the point of the article.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed May 09, 2012 6:00 pm

Yes, I read the OP. Google Translate doesn't work so great sometimes. Anyways, I found a better translation. Here is what he said...

“Do you know what annoys me? He greeted me with calls ‘negro’. I know the call was fair in South America, but I’m not used to,” He said.

"During the match between Barcelona and Hercules had another conflict with Messi." Before the match, he shook my hand and said, "Hello Negro". "After the game he didn't shake my hand. I think I won't be invited to his birthday, "he concluded.

----------

So as you can see, he is saying he knows it's common in South America, but he is just not used to it. And he says before the match they shook hands and Messi greeted him with Negro. But they had conflicts during the game and Messi didn't shake his hand after the match (because of the conflicts during the game). Drenthe jokes that he won't be invited to Messi's birthday party.

Again, nothing like what Suarez did.

EDIT: Also, if you read the article, it says his Real Madrid teammates stopped using the word when they found out that Diarra was offended. So here are two people going around using a perfectly normal cultural greeting to a teammate and go out of their way to stop using it because they don't want to offend someone from a different culture. Again, how is that similar to what Suarez did?
    El_indian
    El_indian

Post by El_indian Wed May 09, 2012 6:07 pm

well your article changes the key line from the original:

"You know what bothers me so? That tone with which he always "negro,
    negro 'told me.

It changes everything.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed May 09, 2012 6:23 pm

I'm not sure how that "changes everything".
    El_indian
    El_indian

Post by El_indian Wed May 09, 2012 7:07 pm

If it were true, you would be wrong. If Messi did use a certain tone when talking to Drenthe, it could suggest he meant it in a derogatory way.

Anyway, it's not true so forget it.
    Jorlung
    Jorlung

Supports : TFC

Post by Jorlung Wed May 09, 2012 11:03 pm

This case isn't even similar to Suarez's case at all... First off, they are IN Spain, where this type of language is used and accepted. It is not a foreigner in England where this type of language is not accepted. Second off the way Messi said it to him was just as a greeting "Hello negro" and as far as we know that's all he meant by it. Suarez on the other hand said "I kicked you because you're a negro, I don't talk to negros, etc." which is obviously intended to be a derogatory comment. Messi also does not tend to get into conflict, and Suarez on the other hand has been possible the the player involved in the most conflict these pasted couple years.

Obviously Drenthe might be insulted as he comes from a place where he's not usually referred to as Negro (I'm assuming Holland doesn't do that). It might just have seemed to him like Messi was talking to him in a certain mean tone even though Messi hadn't intended it. Like how sometimes you say something and someone finds it rude but you didn't intend it that way.

Obviously this is just my speculation but it does make sense.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Wed May 09, 2012 11:55 pm

This really is a niggly issue, isn't it? Why are you guys acting so niggardly about it?
    Mouse
    Mouse

Supports : Sweden Women's National Handball Team

Post by Mouse Thu May 10, 2012 2:48 am

While I don't agree with what Suarez said I do find the most hilarious thing that most of the fans who chant "Racist Bastard" at him are the same ones who racially abuse people and call people things like filthy ice cream's.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu May 10, 2012 2:50 am

N wrote:
    Alan wrote:Shut up.

Mature response.
    Shut up.Messi Calls Drenthe Negro - Page 2 284837
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu May 10, 2012 2:56 am

Mc Babel wrote:While I don't agree with what Suarez said I do find the most hilarious thing that most of the fans who chant "Racist Bastard" at him are the same ones who racially abuse people and call people things like filthy ice cream's.

Agree with this, and there are other things that get sung by fans that are just as bad.
    Ra's al Ghul
    Ra's al Ghul

Post by Ra's al Ghul Thu May 10, 2012 2:58 am

Oh look, what a surprise it is to see Guest get overly defensive about this again. Rolling Eyes He just cannot control himself when this subject is brought up, the stupid cunt.
    Paulinho
    Paulinho

Post by Paulinho Thu May 10, 2012 2:58 am

Agreed, i'm so sick of Guest playing the devil's advocate
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu May 10, 2012 3:00 am

Typical Guest Rolling Eyes
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu May 10, 2012 3:02 am

wtf Neutral
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu May 10, 2012 3:03 am

He's just an oxygen-thief, Guest
    Ra's al Ghul
    Ra's al Ghul

Post by Ra's al Ghul Thu May 10, 2012 3:04 am

Oh look, Guest is going to come in and act like he doesn't know what we're talking about. Complete and utter wanker.
    Harrold
    Harrold

Supports : The Gas.

Post by Harrold Thu May 10, 2012 3:06 am

Guest is such a moron, look at him.
    Paulinho
    Paulinho

Post by Paulinho Thu May 10, 2012 3:06 am