Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
El_indian
SBSP
coolhead33
menalawyerguy
crump
9 posters

My Debate Topics. First up: Football is 95% Mental

crump
    crump

My Debate Topics. First up: Football is 95% Mental Empty My Debate Topics. First up: Football is 95% Mental

Post by crump Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:20 am

Every so often I'm going to whack in my or someone elses opinion so we can spark a debate, this is my opinion, a nice little one to get the ball rolling.

Football is 95% Mental Strength and 5% Physical Strength.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

My Debate Topics. First up: Football is 95% Mental Empty Re: My Debate Topics. First up: Football is 95% Mental

Post by menalawyerguy Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:26 am

If that was the case, then Zidane would still be the best player in the world and we'd still be waiting for Messi, Ronaldo and Rooney to come into their own.

It's a young man's sport, and that suggests legs which suggests it's mostly physical.
    crump
    crump

My Debate Topics. First up: Football is 95% Mental Empty Re: My Debate Topics. First up: Football is 95% Mental

Post by crump Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:27 am

Of course there is a limit to your physical condition, obviously Pele can't join up to the Premier League now. How many times do you play football in a match and keep going even when theres no fuel left? Loads of times.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:36 am

Which becomes harder as you get older, even though as you get older, you get smarter. The best player in the world at almost any given time is usually between the ages of 22 and 27. Once a player hits 30, the countdown on his shelf life begins, even though he's probably at his most intelligent at that point. So I would say it's more like 70% physical, 30% mental.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:39 am

Also, you can be a genius, but if you move like a fat 40 year old, it doesn't mean shit. At the same time, you can be a retard but if you have blazing speed, most teams will find somewhere to put you.
    coolhead33
    coolhead33

Post by coolhead33 Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:41 am

I somewhat agree with this as you can have an amazing pair of legs but you need to know how to use them. Ledley King has the shittest pair of legs known to man yet knows how to use them and is one great defender.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:43 am

coolhead33 wrote:I somewhat agree with this as you can have an amazing pair of legs but you need to know how to use them. Ledley King has the shittest pair of legs known to man yet knows how to use them and is one great defender.

He plays like one game per month. In fact, Ledley King is probably the best example of what I'm talking about. He's nearly useless. Great when he plays, but he needs like three weeks to recover from each game. Thus, how much good is all that savvy really doing him and his team?
    coolhead33
    coolhead33

Post by coolhead33 Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:06 am

menalawyerguy wrote:
    coolhead33 wrote:I somewhat agree with this as you can have an amazing pair of legs but you need to know how to use them. Ledley King has the shittest pair of legs known to man yet knows how to use them and is one great defender.

He plays like one game per month. In fact, Ledley King is probably the best example of what I'm talking about. He's nearly useless. Great when he plays, but he needs like three weeks to recover from each game. Thus, how much good is all that savvy really doing him and his team?
    Don't exaggerate.

Still proves my point though. If Walcott had those legs he'd be the worst footballer ever as he has no footballing brain.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:09 am

coolhead33 wrote:
    menalawyerguy wrote:

Don't exaggerate.

Still proves my point though. If Walcott had those legs he'd be the worst footballer ever as he has no footballing brain.

Yes, but if King had Walcott's legs, he'd be Ballon d'Or every year. In fact, Walcott proves my point as well. Retard brain, blazing speed. Result: highly valued asset. It's all about speed, quickness, and fitness.

btw, in what way am I exaggerating?
    coolhead33
    coolhead33

Post by coolhead33 Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:16 am

menalawyerguy wrote:
    coolhead33 wrote:
    menalawyerguy wrote:

Don't exaggerate.

Yes, but if King had Walcott's legs, he'd be Ballon d'Or every year. In fact, Walcott proves my point as well. Retard brain, blazing speed. Result: highly valued asset. It's all about speed, quickness, and fitness.

It's not about speed though. I know Bale is showing speed does have a huge impact right now against Inter but you just can't win games with just speed.

You exaggerated King playing one game a month.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:25 am

coolhead33 wrote:
    menalawyerguy wrote:
    coolhead33 wrote:
    menalawyerguy wrote:

Don't exaggerate.

It's not about speed though. I know Bale is showing speed does have a huge impact right now against Inter but you just can't win games with just speed.

You exaggerated King playing one game a month.

I know it's not just about speed. But my point is that success in this game is about 70% physical. Players like King and Walcott prove that.

And I'm not exaggerating all that much on King. He's played 6.5 games this season thus fat. Barely 2 games per month. You get the point.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:26 am

menalawyerguy wrote:Which becomes harder as you get older, even though as you get older, you get smarter. The best player in the world at almost any given time is usually between the ages of 22 and 27. Once a player hits 30, the countdown on his shelf life begins, even though he's probably at his most intelligent at that point. So I would say it's more like 70% physical, 30% mental.

Disagree.

Best players are when their physical game hasn't left them yet, and their mental game starts to become better, 27-32 year olds mostly. 32 being debatable and depending on players. Drogba for example is rather old but his physical game hasn't diminished yet.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:28 am

(polskaGOLA) wrote:
    menalawyerguy wrote:Which becomes harder as you get older, even though as you get older, you get smarter. The best player in the world at almost any given time is usually between the ages of 22 and 27. Once a player hits 30, the countdown on his shelf life begins, even though he's probably at his most intelligent at that point. So I would say it's more like 70% physical, 30% mental.

Disagree.

Best players are when their physical game hasn't left them yet, and their mental game starts to become better, 27-32 year olds mostly. 32 being debatable and depending on players. Drogba for example is rather old but his physical game hasn't diminished yet.

We just degree on a matter of degree. My main point hasn't been refuted, which is that this is a game mostly dependent on physical ability. Physical ability separates the top 1% from the bottom 99%. Mental ability separates the top 0.1% from the rest. But you have to have the physical ability to get you in that top 1% to begin with.

This isn't golf.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:36 am

Oh no, I generally agree with your post.

It's about 70-30 in favor of physicality.

Although in the EPL I think it's more like 80-20, and in Serie A it's more 60-40.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:21 am

You have a good point (OP) but I wouldn't say 95%, maybe 75.
    El_indian
    El_indian

Supports : funny

Post by El_indian Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:40 pm

It's probably best not to debate mental/skill ratio in terms of numbers, I mean, you just can't quantify these things
    Cornholio
    Cornholio

Post by Cornholio Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:18 pm

Football is completely facking mental mate.

I lurve it!
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:21 pm

Ryan wrote:Football is completely facking mental mate.

I lurve it!

Completely? Then how come there aren't more fat shits playing at the highest levels? How come every single professional footballer has like 3% body fat?
    Childish Logic
    Childish Logic

Formerly known as : NZG
    Supports : Lucas

Post by Childish Logic Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:29 pm

80% Physical in EPl
    75% Physical in la liga
    2% Physical in Serie A
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:31 pm

75% retardation in MLS
    Cornholio
    Cornholio

Post by Cornholio Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:20 am

menalawyerguy wrote:
    Ryan wrote:Football is completely facking mental mate.

I lurve it!

Completely? Then how come there aren't more fat shits playing at the highest levels? How come every single professional footballer has like 3% body fat?

In England, if you say something is mental it can mean it's awesome.
    menalawyerguy
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:24 am

Oh ok.

That's mentally retarded My Debate Topics. First up: Football is 95% Mental 881856
    Cornholio
    Cornholio

Post by Cornholio Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:28 am

My Debate Topics. First up: Football is 95% Mental 881856
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:29 am

My opinion on that is, what a load of shit.

It's important but you have more chance of making it as a footballer if you have ability and no brain, rather than the other way around.

If you have a good mental ability and amazing football brain, but can't produce it, then what?
    Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

Post by Lux Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:56 am

If you're not fit you won't be a good footballer.

I've been playing football for a long time and it doesn't matter if you're Einstein or not...you've got to be very fit to be good!

Tbh I'd say more like 75% physical 25% mental.
    Cornholio
    Cornholio

Post by Cornholio Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:00 am

I remember hearing stories about an ex-Liverpool player who was rather fat. He apparantly wouldn't move around the pitch, but you gave the ball to him and he would just ping passes left right and centre.

Different time and everything.

Just throwing it out there.
    Lux
    Lux

Post by Lux Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:02 am

Yeah players used to have beer guts in the past Laughing
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:05 am

Ryan wrote:I remember hearing stories about an ex-Liverpool player who was rather fat. He apparantly wouldn't move around the pitch, but you gave the ball to him and he would just ping passes left right and centre.

Different time and everything.

Just throwing it out there.

It takes mental ability to spot a pass, but to actually pull it off you need to have good technique.
    Lux
    Lux

Post by Lux Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:07 am

kyro7 wrote:It takes mental ability to spot a pass, but to actually pull it off you need to have good technique.

I'd say good technique is more a mental attribute than a physical attribute bounce
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:08 am

Luxz0rz wrote:
    kyro7 wrote:It takes mental ability to spot a pass, but to actually pull it off you need to have good technique.

I'd say good technique is more a mental attribute than a physical attribute bounce

So Scholes playing the ball 40 yards right onto Nani's big toe is mental?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 12:20 am