Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

What do YOU think the last man rule means?

Anonymous

What do YOU think the last man rule means? Empty What do YOU think the last man rule means?

Post by Guest Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:51 am

Okay, so in the Blackpool West Brom game a penalty was given. The player knocked the ball past the player but didn't pass the play himself, he just tripped over the leg. Now the ref gave the penalty (rightly so) but also a red card for what we can assume is the last man rule.

Basically it looked like

-----------goalkeeper
    -----------defender
    -----------attacker

Attacker knocks the ball towards the keeper, defender sticks his leg out, attacker goes over and the ref gives pen and red card.

Now is that right?

For me, I always thought the last man meant the keeper was the last man, so if the attack was past the last defender and was taken down then that would be a last man situation? I may be wrong but this always how i've seen it... If not then the rule is wrong because the defender isn't the last man, the keeper is. Neutral
    Cornholio
    Cornholio

What do YOU think the last man rule means? Empty Re: What do YOU think the last man rule means?

Post by Cornholio Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:55 am

I see the last man as sort of like the last outfield player in the offside rule.
    Anonymous

What do YOU think the last man rule means? Empty Re: What do YOU think the last man rule means?

Post by Guest Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:55 am

I've always thought if there is no other defender in line with the one who makes the tackle then its a red.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:56 am

The-Reporter wrote:I've always thought if there is no other defender in line with the one who makes the tackle then its a red.

Even if the attacker isn't goalside of the defender?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:58 am

The last man is the man in between the player with the ball and a goalscoring opportunity. The last man is the last defender/goalkeeper.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:59 am

Dan wrote:The last man is the man in between the player with the ball and a goalscoring opportunity. The last man is the last defender/goalkeeper.

But that aint last man then if its the defender because their is always the keeper behind him. Sad Maybe I just got confused, either way I don't think it was a red card still.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:00 am

No such thing as the last man.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:01 am

Scuba Steve wrote:No such thing as the last man.

Keeper is last man. Neutral
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:03 am

James wrote:
    Dan wrote:The last man is the man in between the player with the ball and a goalscoring opportunity. The last man is the last defender/goalkeeper.

But that aint last man then if its the defender because their is always the keeper behind him. Sad Maybe I just got confused, either way I don't think it was a red card still.

It's considered the 'last man' because it's only that man denying a goalscoring opportunity. For example, if the play is on the edge of the box, the goalkeeper should be near to his line. The only defender is the 'last man' ahead of the goalscoring opportunity.
    Scuba Steve
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:04 am

Let me clarify then. There is no rule that says "last man". Not in the rulebook. It's completely up to the interpretation of the referee.
    Uncle John from Jamaica
    Uncle John from Jamaica

Post by Uncle John from Jamaica Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:14 am

If no defender could have stopped the attacker from having a clear shot on goal had he not been assaulted, then it's a red card.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:28 am

James wrote:
    The-Reporter wrote:I've always thought if there is no other defender in line with the one who makes the tackle then its a red.

Attacker would have to be goalside imo.

Here are all the rules of the game - http://www.talkfootball.co.uk/guides/rules_of_football.html
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:57 am

The-Reporter wrote:
    James wrote:

Here are all the rules of the game - http://www.talkfootball.co.uk/guides/rules_of_football.html

Thats what I thought. I thought the last man or goalscoring opportunity rule only applied if the attacker was goalside of the defender and was brought down. But tonights the defender was goalside and brought the attacker down.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:47 am

If you have a link to the incident I might be able to understand it better.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:56 am

James wrote:
    The-Reporter wrote:
    James wrote:

Thats what I thought. I thought the last man or goalscoring opportunity rule only applied if the attacker was goalside of the defender and was brought down. But tonights the defender was goalside and brought the attacker down.
    The defender must be the last man, watch this video and listen to the commentators. http://www.tagtele.com/videos/voir/34688

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 12:15 am