Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Benitez
Jord
6 posters

Martinez fines players for not communicating in English

Anonymous

Martinez fines players for not communicating in English Empty Martinez fines players for not communicating in English

Post by Guest Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:46 am

Just seen Figueroa mention this on Sky Sports 1. What do you think of this? I'm assuming it's only in training and during matches that this is enforced.
    Jord
    Jord

Formerly known as : SUPAH BURNLEY!
    Supports : Liverpool FC

Martinez fines players for not communicating in English Empty Re: Martinez fines players for not communicating in English

Post by Jord Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:53 am

I think while on the pitch and in training that English speaking should be enforced. This IS an English speaking country afterall. However outside both of these parimetres such as in the tunnel and outside the clubs grounds no-one should be charged for this.

Anonymous

Martinez fines players for not communicating in English Empty Re: Martinez fines players for not communicating in English

Post by Guest Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:03 am

If they aren't making the effort to at least learn the language then fair enough
    Benitez
    Benitez

Supports : Antonella Roccuzzo <3

Post by Benitez Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:26 am

Martinez not worthy I guess it will encourage them to do it if he fines them, What Jord said is right i suppose
    Van Wolfswinkel
    Van Wolfswinkel

Formerly known as : Sammy_Tekkers

Post by Van Wolfswinkel Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:29 am

Not entirely sure if this is good or not, would help the squad a lot but could damage morale. I'd stick with Martinez on it though, seems to know what he's doing.
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:34 am

To me, not speaking the language isn't a big deal so long as you're learning. I don't see the problem with a couple of players chatting in Spanish or whatever. So long as they know all the basic shouts and anything to do with organization.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:12 am

Agreed, could be dissing him and he wouldn't even know. Well done Roberto.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:20 am

Can't imagine this will sit well with the Spanish speakers on his team. Especially since there are a lot of them, they might feel that they are being targeted against. Especially the Latin American ones.

Might be wrong though.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:27 am

Fine for speaking another language? Neutral
    Lux
    Lux

Supports : Watford FC

Post by Lux Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:38 am

ahlycotc wrote:Fine for speaking another language? Neutral

I've seen a few clubs do this actually.

Think about it...the manager wants his players to all be communicating with each other. If they start creating ethnic/lingual groups then that's going to separate the team. Setting out English (the official language of England) as the language that must be spoken unites the team and helps prevent any segregation.....plus it helps foreign players learn the language of the land....something which you should arguably expect yourself to do.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:28 pm

ahlycotc wrote:Fine for speaking another language? Neutral

Nothing wrong with it, we have it enforced. Obviously, those that are still learning can converse with their teammates, but they will be expected to use English when they can. It keeps the team together, rather than having groups of players of certain nationalities, which was a problem we had a decade or so ago in the latter chapter of Houllier's reign.
    Keanoo
    Keanoo

Supports : Manchester United

Post by Keanoo Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:40 pm

Tevez would be out of money if he was at Wigan.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 2:57 pm