Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+16
Van Wolfswinkel
Benitez
Mason
Harrold
dena
ShakerMatty
Uncle John from Jamaica
Kuled
Zzonked
Grenade
Drake
easley91
Jordi
Hernandez_14
GK01
LFC_Grunners
20 posters

Lowest place club with most potential.

LFC_Grunners
    LFC_Grunners

Supports : Liverpool

Lowest place club with most potential. Empty Lowest place club with most potential.

Post by LFC_Grunners Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:17 pm

I was bored and was just thinking, What is the lowest placed club with the most potential to become European Champions? Post your reasons why whether it be Stadium size, fan-base, manager or their finances.

I came to the conclusion of Bradford City, they have decent stadium (25k). They are the only club in a large city. They also have the best average attendance in League 2 by quite a bit with 10k, (Second place Swindon is only 7K).

Do this for any league if you want Smile
    Anonymous

Lowest place club with most potential. Empty Re: Lowest place club with most potential.

Post by Guest Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:19 pm

Nottingham Forest quite easily.
    GK01
    GK01

Supports : Brisbane Roar

Lowest place club with most potential. Empty Re: Lowest place club with most potential.

Post by GK01 Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:20 pm

Blackburn shifty

Southampton as well. Don't know enough about League 1 and below though. I'll stat my reasons soon though shifty
    Hernandez_14
    Hernandez_14

Formerly known as : Braad
    Supports : Manchester United

Post by Hernandez_14 Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:26 pm

Southampton.
    Jordi
    Jordi

Supports : Saints

Post by Jordi Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:27 pm

Crawley, plenty of financial backing, and are looking good for back to back promotions.
    LFC_Grunners
    LFC_Grunners

Post by LFC_Grunners Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:35 pm

Jordi wrote:Crawley, plenty of financial backing, and are looking good for back to back promotions.

The just don't think the fan base is there for them. Also the town itself is tiny.

I reckon Charlton's worth a shout, I would be surprised if they were still in League 1 next year.
    easley91
    easley91

Supports : Tottenham, Crawley, Lesnar, Brewster, Coppell

Post by easley91 Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:51 pm

LFC_Grunners wrote:
    Jordi wrote:Crawley, plenty of financial backing, and are looking good for back to back promotions.

The just don't think the fan base is there for them. Also the town itself is tiny.

I reckon Charlton's worth a shout, I would be surprised if they were still in League 1 next year.
    It's not a tiny town. The town contains roughly 100,000 people. Plenty for a sustainable fan base, if we can entice them to come to our games more often.

This is our first year in League 2, so we didn't expect the fanbase to increase so much so quickly. Give it a another year or two if we get promotion again. A new East stand is in the works, a board that are doing what's best for the club, a squad of players who want to work for each other and the fans. An FA Cup tie at the Broadfield to Stoke to come will bring even more fans, it's different to Old Trafford as fans will probably come to the Broadfield for the first time, and who knows may even come more often afterward. Top of League 2 and a manager that although everyone else hates, he is an astute manager who gets in the right players. He doesn't control the money either, so we won't go bankrupt that way. The ground creates an amazing atmosphere, which helps the team, because we have only lost 2 home league games in the last year or so. We feel we can beat anyone at home. Players of quality for this league, Mills, Davis, Hunt, Howell, Barnett, Torres, Watt, Clarke, MacFadzean. These players can play in a higher division. I reckon Barnett, Watt, Torres and Davis especially could do very well in the Championship.
    Drake
    Drake

Post by Drake Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:02 pm

Fleetwood Town.
    easley91
    easley91

Post by easley91 Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:03 pm

Drake wrote:Fleetwood Town.
    Richard Brodie Lowest place club with most potential. 914411
    LFC_Grunners
    LFC_Grunners

Post by LFC_Grunners Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:04 pm

easley91 wrote:
    LFC_Grunners wrote:

It's not a tiny town. The town contains roughly 100,000 people. Plenty for a sustainable fan base, if we can entice them to come to our games more often.

This is our first year in League 2, so we didn't expect the fanbase to increase so much so quickly. Give it a another year or two if we get promotion again. A new East stand is in the works, a board that are doing what's best for the club, a squad of players who want to work for each other and the fans. An FA Cup tie at the Broadfield to Stoke to come will bring even more fans, it's different to Old Trafford as fans will probably come to the Broadfield for the first time, and who knows may even come more often afterward. Top of League 2 and a manager that although everyone else hates, he is an astute manager who gets in the right players. He doesn't control the money either, so we won't go bankrupt that way. The ground creates an amazing atmosphere, which helps the team, because we have only lost 2 home league games in the last year or so. We feel we can beat anyone at home. Players of quality for this league, Mills, Davis, Hunt, Howell, Barnett, Torres, Watt, Clarke, MacFadzean. These players can play in a higher division. I reckon Barnett, Watt, Torres and Davis especially could do very well in the Championship.

100 thousand is quite small for a town when compared to others. Getting big cup ties at home doesn't necessarily increase regular fans, I have seen it plenty of times at Oldham over recent years we've had the likes of City, Spurs and Bolton come to Boundary Park (and even beat City) even if it does it isn't normally long-lived.
    easley91
    easley91

Post by easley91 Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:15 pm

LFC_Grunners wrote:
    easley91 wrote:

100 thousand is quite small for a town when compared to others. Getting big cup ties at home doesn't necessarily increase regular fans, I have seen it plenty of times at Oldham over recent years we've had the likes of City, Spurs and Bolton come to Boundary Park (and even beat City) even if it does it isn't normally long-lived.
    The attendences have improved this season though, even on Tuesday (under very very cold conditions and even a late pitch inspection) where we had 3,800 odd at a league game. They are improving, and it is sustainable.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:29 pm

Hull and York. Probably think i'm biased but I have an explanation. Look at the amount of football teams actually in East Yorkshire, there isn't many. The population is over 600,000 and from the most northern point (Bridlington), to the most southern point (Hull) It takes less than hour driving AND there are direct trains too.

The picture below is East Yorkshire if you're interested. York is north west of Pocklington by about 20 minutes I think. It takes 1 hour to drive from York to Hull.

Lowest place club with most potential. East_Riding

Another is Norwich, but i'm cheating with this because I read it on their forum. They are in the middle of nowhere. They are the biggest club in East Anglia, the next biggest is 1 hour away. In Norfolk, their are 850,000 people. Norwich has the chance to attract as many of these as they want. They already need a bigger stadium from selling out in League 1 and the Championship.

I'm sure there are other places like this in the UK but they are most likely already a big enough club to exploit this or aren't a big enough club for me to have noticed.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:34 pm

easley91 wrote:
    LFC_Grunners wrote:

The attendences have improved this season though, even on Tuesday (under very very cold conditions and even a late pitch inspection) where we had 3,800 odd at a league game. They are improving, and it is sustainable.

I think there are a lot more clubs with bigger potential. All Crawley has is the backing right now (which I reckon will stop in the Championship)

When financial fair play happens, people who want to buy clubs are going to have to start looking at attendances more, and how to attract more fans. Smaller clubs in big areas with potential big fanbases will be the most looked at.

Ipswich, Hull, York, Plymouth (if someone was willing to sort their finances out properly). Both Sheffield clubs the way they are right now.
    easley91
    easley91

Post by easley91 Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:40 pm

Britfag wrote:
    easley91 wrote:

I think there are a lot more clubs with bigger potential. All Crawley has is the backing right now (which I reckon will stop in the Championship)

When financial fair play happens, people who want to buy clubs are going to have to start looking at attendances more, and how to attract more fans. Smaller clubs in big areas with potential big fanbases will be the most looked at.

Ipswich, Hull, York, Plymouth (if someone was willing to sort their finances out properly). Both Sheffield clubs the way they are right now.
    We've turned over a profit the last two years since the board came in. We've hardly spent anything since the summer before our last non-league season. Only spent in Jan on Billy Clarke, and sold Tubbs for around £800,000. Which is profit on him, as we bought him for like £55,000. The backing won't stop. We have a Chief Executive who is one of the fans, he won't let it happen. Even when we queud up for Stoke tickets, he was outside in the freezing conditions with us, instead of inside his warm office.

I'm not saying we have the biggest potential, just don't completely rule us out.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:47 pm

Of course the backing can stop, if he can no longer afford it. It's easy to make a profit in them leagues, especially selling players to higher clubs. Hull cruised through them 2 leagues with attendances of 18,000+. The problem came when we wanted to compete in the Championship and the PL where we had to spend money.

We'll see, but even in the PL I can't ever see Crawley getting higher than 15,000 attendances. Which isn't really having high potential.
    Grenade
    Grenade

Formerly known as : grenade187

Post by Grenade Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:57 pm

I'd agree with Crawley too. They look like they have a good future ahead of them.

It pains me to say it but Bradford won't go anywhere unless drastic changes are made. We have a huge fanbase and stadium considering the league we're in but the money isn't there and we keep hiring shit managers Laughing
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:00 pm

Grenade wrote:I'd agree with Crawley too. They look like they have a good future ahead of them.

It pains me to say it but Bradford won't go anywhere unless drastic changes are made. We have a huge fanbase and stadium considering the league we're in but the money isn't there and we keep hiring shit managers Laughing

That gives you better potential than Crawley. Add to the fact you can't surrounded by lots of other clubs as well. I feel sorry for small clubs in or near London.
    easley91
    easley91

Post by easley91 Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:15 pm

Britfag wrote:Of course the backing can stop, if he can no longer afford it. It's easy to make a profit in them leagues, especially selling players to higher clubs. Hull cruised through them 2 leagues with attendances of 18,000+. The problem came when we wanted to compete in the Championship and the PL where we had to spend money.

We'll see, but even in the PL I can't ever see Crawley getting higher than 15,000 attendances. Which isn't really having high potential.
    But he can afford it, and I believe will continue to. I can, but maybe that's just me being positive about a club which had no future 3 years ago. To be honest, we're probably happy where we are now after nearly going out of business completely under a couple of idiots (the infamous Majeed era). Which drove the town away from it's club, and only now are we starting to get people back. Another promotion, people coming to the Stoke game liking what they see, and you never know. It is hard to compete with other clubs in terms of fans as the majority of people in Crawley support Prem and London clubs. Add to that, Brighton are the only other Sussex football league club, who got a new stadium recently are in the Championship. So, people around outside Brighton and Crawley are caught inbetween.
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:25 pm

I really really don't think Crawley or Bradford will ever be European Champions.

Honestly I'm going to say Liverpool.
    Kuled

Post by Kuled Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:38 pm

Napoli.
    Uncle John from Jamaica
    Uncle John from Jamaica

Post by Uncle John from Jamaica Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:39 pm

We have all the ingredients except a sheikh.
    Grenade
    Grenade

Formerly known as : grenade187

Post by Grenade Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:43 pm

Britfag wrote:
    Grenade wrote:I'd agree with Crawley too. They look like they have a good future ahead of them.

That gives you better potential than Crawley. Add to the fact you can't surrounded by lots of other clubs as well. I feel sorry for small clubs in or near London.
    Yeah but even in 50 years time I can't see us ever being European champions. Our club is run like Arsenal. They just care about making money and any investments into the team are usually seen as a waste of money. Crawley have a growing fanbase and people who want the club to succeed in the long term. Not trolling here but in the year 2030 I think Crawley will more likely be playing in European competitions than Hull if they continue to show this passion.
    ShakerMatty
    ShakerMatty

Formerly known as : Burytillidie
    Supports : Bury and Salford RLFC

Post by ShakerMatty Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:12 am

Bradford and Sheffield Wednesday cos they are MASSIVE
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:13 am

I believe you guys know me well enough to know my opinion on the potential Polish clubs could have on the game.

Really do think Wisla/Legia/Lech/Slask/Lechia/Widzew could all have the potential to be big European clubs. Maybe not Champions League Champions anytime soon, but European Champions? Possibly.
    dena
    dena

Post by dena Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:15 am

Liverpool, if a club from England is going to win the European Championship within the next 10-15th place, they're already in the premier league and at worst are 7th.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:28 am

Grenade wrote:
    Britfag wrote:

Yeah but even in 50 years time I can't see us ever being European champions. Our club is run like Arsenal. They just care about making money and any investments into the team are usually seen as a waste of money. Crawley have a growing fanbase and people who want the club to succeed in the long term. Not trolling here but in the year 2030 I think Crawley will more likely be playing in European competitions than Hull if they continue to show this passion.

I think that is a bit silly of you to say.

You think a club in league 2 with attendances of no more than 5k are more likely to be bigger than a debt free Championship club challenging for a playoff place who've had attendances of 18,000+ since league 2. Neutral Laughing
    ShakerMatty
    ShakerMatty

Formerly known as : Burytillidie
    Supports : Bury and Salford RLFC

Post by ShakerMatty Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:32 am

Its amazing how Hull rised from the lower leagues, very similar to Wigan and Blackpool.

I reckon we are doing very well this season considering the big clubs we have on our doorstep but if we ever got a big investment and a few more fans coming through the turnstiles i don't see why we couldn't compete in the higher leagues as the squad now is going to be around for a few more years as everyone is signed up.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:36 am

I find it pretty unrealistic how you guys are saying league 1 and league 2 sides.

Sure they could all be Premier League sides in 20-30 years, but there is a huge jump from Premier League side to top English side, these clubs won't ever be bigger than you're Fulhams and Blackburns until something big happens (rich owner for example) The only clubs that could realistically be top sides are clubs from large cities with a big fanbase and big history that is attractive to potential owners and players. Look at Forest, Leeds, Southampton or maybe even Hull.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:38 am

Lu❣s Suarez wrote:I find it pretty unrealistic how you guys are saying league 1 and league 2 sides.

Sure they could all be Premier League sides in 20-30 years, but there is a huge jump from Premier League side to top English side, these clubs won't ever be bigger than you're Fulhams and Blackburns until something big happens (rich owner for example) The only clubs that could realistically be top sides are clubs from large cities with a big fanbase and big history that is attractive to potential owners. Look at Forest, Leeds, Southampton or maybe even Hull.

Both Sheffield clubs are in league 1, both could easily rise again. Plymouth is the biggest city in England to never host top flight football, not sure if that extends into Europe as well because Hull where the biggest city in Europe never to host top flight football until they made it.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:39 am

I always wondered about Bristol? Bristol is a large city, why have they never had good football?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 10:51 pm