Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Blinking Scout

Anonymous

The Blinking Scout Empty The Blinking Scout

Post by Guest Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:43 pm

The former Middlesbrough defender Gary Parkinson is acting in a scouting role for the club, despite suffering from the debilitating illness locked-in syndrome.

The 43-year-old, who represented Boro between 1986 and 1993, was working as Blackpool's head of youth until he suffered a severe stroke in September 2010, leaving him totally paralysed.

But with his mind still fully active, he is now helping the Boro manager, Tony Mowbray, scout potential new signings by watching DVDs and then rating them by blinking to his wife Deborah – the only way he can communicate.

"Tony and his coaching staff, like Mark Proctor and Stephen Pears, have been fantastic for Gary," Deborah told the Northern Echo. "When Tony first came to see Gary, he could see Gary was still aware of everything that was going on around him, so he asked Gary if he wanted to do some scouting for him.

"A DVD comes down to us, with a sheet of paper. There is a description of the player, his name, his age, his position and the clubs he has played for. Gary still loves his football, knows all about youth football from his time as the youth coach at Blackpool, and you can see he picks up when he is doing it. I have done it with him and so has my son, Luke."

Mowbray, writing in Middlesbrough's match-day programme at the weekend, said: "We were determined to give Gary a role, where he could feel involved. Not only that, I genuinely value his opinions about the game. We let him have a look at some of the players who come to our attention and it gives Gary something to concentrate on. Long after he ceases to be headline news, we will still be there for him."
    Anonymous

The Blinking Scout Empty Re: The Blinking Scout

Post by Guest Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:43 pm

not worthy Parky not worthy
    My cousin use to know him and a couple of days before his stroke he was talking about how his job is the best in the world and he would never give it up. Its good that Mowbray still involves him in football plus Blackpool still setup charity functions to go to his charity.

Here is website which tells you more about his charity

http://www.garyparky.co.uk/

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 12:48 am