Tour de France 2011

Ben

Supports : United

Re: Tour de France 2011

Post by Ben on Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:18 am

Rojas didn't get the 20 points deducted so is only 15 behind Cav now.

Cav wasn't complaining though in his post-race interview.

Leopard Trek's tactics today were brilliant though, with the 2 riders in the breakaway helping Andy. BMC seemed to try to do the same but unfortunately for them Andy attacked before Cadel had the chance to.
    Muhkoo

Supports : AFC AJAX X X X

Post by Muhkoo on Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:11 am

Yea i realized that i had been looking at the wrong table after i wrote.

One of the danish experts (not on the broadcasting channel) believes that Andy needs at least 30 seconds more if he is to win, else Cadel will take it. If that is the case then i hope that Andy and Frank will give him a good 1-2 punch tomorrow, now that they have the top spots in the race none of them can be allowed to break away if Cadel Evans wants to win it.
    Ben

Post by Ben on Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:47 am

Think Cadel's got this
    Kris

Post by Kris on Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:17 am

Cadel vs Andy tomorrow.

Nice attack from Contador, but unfortunately didn't pay off.

Nice ride by Rolland too.
    ayvee1

Formerly known as : Prince

Post by ayvee1 on Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:20 am

Will be rooting for Andy tomorrow, but to be honest I wouldn't mind Evans winning it either. Just glad Contador isn't going to win.
    Ben

Post by Ben on Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:21 am

ayvee1 wrote:Will be rooting for Andy tomorrow, but to be honest I wouldn't mind Evans winning it either. Just glad Contador isn't going to win.

Same.

I think I'd rather Evans won it though just because he's always been a nearly man and I don't really see him ever making it if he doesn't now.
    Muhkoo

Post by Muhkoo on Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:28 pm

It is gonna be tough, i think Andy is underrated and Cadel doesn't have a super TT in him after having to be the defensive one the last few days. For the stage it could be anything though but i don't think that Evans will beat Andy by more than 30 seconds or so.

top 3 will be Andy Schleck, Cadel Evans +00:37, Frank Schleck + 1:45

I hope im not wrong this time! Very Happy
    Scuba Steve

Post by Scuba Steve on Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:17 pm

I think Cadel's done too much work on his own today and yesterday to put out a killer TT time tomorrow. With the mechanical problems today and having to pull himself back into the group yesterday, he'll be a burnt man, and not be able to snatch the yellow from Andy.

Fantastic performance from Voeckler to keep hold of the yellow jacket for as long as he did though. If I'm honest, even though there was no chance he would keep it to the finish, I was hoping that he would win the Tour. He just isn't one of the big boys when it comes to climbing though.
    ayvee1

Post by ayvee1 on Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:29 pm

I just hope Schleck can do a Carlos Sastre and pull out the TT of his career with the maillot jaune on his shoulders.

I love looking at all the TT bikes, awesome machines.
    Ben

Post by Ben on Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:21 am

Fair to say Cadel did have a great time-trial in him.

Fantastic ride by him, especially these last 3 days having to do it all himself.

The Schleck's are just too lazy, they don't do any time-trial training and didn't even have a look at the ride before today, it was part of the Dauphine so wasn't exactly inaccessible.

They don't get low enough on their bikes and they're too timid. Dunno if anybody noticed but everyone else got up and out of their saddle over the speed bumps but both Schleck's eased off and stopped pedalling.
    ayvee1

Post by ayvee1 on Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:24 am

Inspired ride from Evans, congratulations to him, he deserved it. First person from the southern hemisphere to win the Tour.

Andy has done a lot of work on his time trialling in the last couple of years but he just isn't powerful enough IMO. If he's going to win a the Tour then he is going to have to do it in the mountains.
    Ben

Post by Ben on Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:31 am

I'm so happy for him, he's always been so close to winning and he's such a gritty rider. Riden an absolutely brilliant tour.

Yeah, the Schleck's can't time trial and they can't really descend. To win it they're going to have to attack more on the mountains than they usually do.
    GK01

Supports : Brisbane Roar

Post by GK01 on Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:32 am

I'm crying, I'm bloody crying, I'm so happy, he's always been so close, and now he seems to have finally done it, and done it for Australia as well.
    Ben

Post by Ben on Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:41 am

National holiday in Australia. shifty

I always wonder how Wiggins would've done had he not gone down. I think he'd have kept with the GC guys all the way until the last 2 days but his TT in the Dauphine was quicker than Evans' today.
    GK01

Post by GK01 on Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:57 am

Should be if he finishes in Paris tomorrow. But now I sleep, I'm just so proud and excited and happy and a lot of emotions.
    ayvee1

Post by ayvee1 on Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:59 am

Ben wrote:National holiday in Australia. shifty

I always wonder how Wiggins would've done had he not gone down. I think he'd have kept with the GC guys all the way until the last 2 days but his TT in the Dauphine was quicker than Evans' today.
    Yeah, interesting one that. Geraint Thomas said himself that Brad was in the form of his life coming into the tour.
    Muhkoo

Post by Muhkoo on Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:11 am

I don't think i've been this satisfied being so wrong before, phenomenal ride by Evans, and Der Panzerwagen... I really thought Cadel had used himself too much on the last 2 stages but, clearly Andy had used even more.
    Ben

Post by Ben on Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:03 am

Dunno if any of you saw this on David Millar's twitter, but heartbreaking stuff.

millarmind wrote:If you have tears, prepare to shed them now. In team car being driven to hotel. Chatting to VdV & spot cyclist on autoroute ahead, dressed in full Europcar kit. Looks oddly familiar. Chat stops, tell car to slow. As we pass have time to look into eyes of a tired and broken Voeckler. Tragic doesn't come close to describe.

Poor Tommy Cry
    Muhkoo

Post by Muhkoo on Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:33 am

He has some good ones, now im sad i didn't follow him earlier. Voeckler knows how to suffer, thats what armstrong said, and he sure did. The stage yesterday was odd, you know he had given up when Rolland got to stay ahead, and it was beautiful that the guy helping Voeckler stay in the jersey for so many days, finally got to ride his own chance and win the White jersey. Fitting it was on him after Andy had been the white knight for years.

millarmind wrote:What's a pro cyclists worst nightmare? Racing solo for TdF stage win and
    knowing Thor Hushovd is chasing you. Fear of God of Thunder.
    ayvee1

Post by ayvee1 on Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:41 pm

Looking forward to the big one today, hopefully Cav can pull it out the bag.
    GK01

Post by GK01 on Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:42 pm

Excited for this, really want to see Evans on top of the podium.

Oh yeah get on MSN ayvee shifty
    Ben

Post by Ben on Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:12 am

I'd be absolutely amazed if Cav didn't stay in green. In the intermediate sprint he should just sit on Rojas wheel then attack him if he feels he can and at the finish it's important that they ride their own race.
    Ben

Post by Ben on Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:25 am

HTC's tactics are brilliant.
    Ben

Post by Ben on Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:30 am

Get innnnn! Super Cav!
    ayvee1

Post by ayvee1 on Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:34 am

Yep, great win for Cav, was hard to see past him today for the win, although Boassen-Hagen was coming up quickly. Grats again to Evans too, and a special mention for Voeckler managing to hold on to 4th place.

Been a great tour this year, the most exciting since the Armstrong - Ullrich days IMO.
    ayvee1

Post by ayvee1 on Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:25 am

Anyone here going to be watching the Vuelta? Starts on the 20th.
    Kris

Post by Kris on Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:56 am

ayvee - agreed on the quality of this tour.

And I'll be following the Vuelta. I wonder who the captain for Saxo Bank-Sunguard will be. Most likely Chris Anker Sørensen or Richie Porte, but could be one of a few riders.
    Ben

Post by Ben on Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:15 am

Yeah I'll be watching the Vuelta. Don't follow it as avidly as Le Tour but I always watch all 3 Grand Tours.
    Kris

Post by Kris on Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:15 am

C. A. Sørensen is the captain of SBS.

Fuglsang has taken the red jersey after the team time trial. This is his chance at a good result in a grand tour (I'd say top 10 is good enough for him, judging by his team).

I think Igor Anton or Vincenzo Nibali will win it this year. Got Brajkovic, Wiggins, Rodriguez, Menchov and Scarponi as outsiders. Fuglsang and Chris Anker Sørensen don't really have the teams (well, quite a lot of unknown riders on those teams, where the only reference I have is Pro Cycling Manager 2011 - it's a good game btw). Leopard-Trek have Monfort, Zaugg and Roehegger who can climb, as well as Cancellara who has an extraordinary watt output. Saxo-Bank's best helpers in the mountains would be Gustov, Nicki Sørensen and Majka (which doesn't really look that good for them). I must admit that I've never seen Zaugg, Roehegger or Majka, so I'm only guessing that their rating in PCM is fairly accurate. Saxo Bank almost looks like they're going for sprints with Jonas Aaen as the leadout for JJ Haedo.
    Ben

Post by Ben on Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:17 am

Nibali is my favourite non British/HTC rider. Could watch him descend for hours.

What's Pro Cycling Manager 2011?

Sky were diabolical yesterday, couldn't recover from Arvensen's crash early on then turned it round for Sutton to win the sprint today

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:59 am