• This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

NFL

Phadunkin Donuts

Re: NFL

Post by Phadunkin Donuts on Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:04 pm

What an embarrassing game.. I can't believe I live in this shit city.

Fuck the Bears.
Zzonked

Post by Zzonked on Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:55 pm

dena wrote:Don't blame the refs for Jay Cutler's shitstorm dat boy need jesus rofl

He got sacked like 7 times, dat boy need pass protection also.
Zzonked

Post by Zzonked on Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:19 pm

On a side note, it irritates me when they call the Giants 'world champions'.
dena

Post by dena on Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:07 pm

Didn't you see them beat the London Silly Nannies in the super bowl?
menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy on Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:32 pm

Drew wrote:What an embarrassing game.. I can't believe I live in this shit city.

Fuck the Bears.

The city is shit because it lost one game to one of the best teams in the league?
menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy on Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:32 pm

Zzonked wrote:On a side note, it irritates me when they call the Giants 'world champions'.
Aren't they?
Phadunkin Donuts

Post by Phadunkin Donuts on Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:20 am

menalawyerguy wrote:
Drew wrote:What an embarrassing game.. I can't believe I live in this shit city.

Fuck the Bears.

The city is shit because it lost one game to one of the best teams in the league?

A percentage of the reason. Mhm.
menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy on Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:42 am

Chicago is good times
dena

Post by dena on Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:43 am

If you discount the 55 murders in august and the teachers strike leaving a ton of youth with fuck all to do Chicago is a really nice place to be right now.
menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy on Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:01 am

So it's even more exciting than usual? Crazy
Zzonked

Post by Zzonked on Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:01 am

menalawyerguy wrote:
Zzonked wrote:On a side note, it irritates me when they call the Giants 'world champions'.
Aren't they?

No. World champions implies they have beaten teams from other countries.
dena

Post by dena on Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:03 am

Zzonked wrote:
menalawyerguy wrote:Aren't they?

You've obviously never been to Philadelphia.

Ba dum tish.
menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy on Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:05 am

Zzonked wrote:
menalawyerguy wrote:Aren't they?

Who would they have to beat? The CFL champs? Come on. The NFL is easily the best football league in the world. The difference between the NFL and the next best league in this sport is the difference between Jupiter and Pluto. Whatever team wins the Super Bowl is undoubtedly the best team in the world.
Zzonked

Post by Zzonked on Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:07 am

They may be de facto world champions, but it's just obnoxious to say so when they only compete in America.
menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy on Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:18 am

I'm going to start calling them the galactic champions. How would that go over with you? The leagues on Europa are shit.
Zzonked

Post by Zzonked on Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:24 am

Galactic annoys me less than world because it sounds more like a joke.
Bye_Ya

Post by Bye_Ya on Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:57 pm

dena wrote:If you discount the 55 murders in august and the teachers strike leaving a ton of youth with fuck all to do Chicago is a really nice place to be right now.

I was there a few years ago. Had a blast. I'll be back there next month.
Zzonked

Post by Zzonked on Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:03 pm

I went to Chicago once and watched their Ice Cricket team beat the Boston Bulldogs in a thrilling game.
dena

Post by dena on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:11 am

One of the ref's for the Saints game has been replaced because the league just found out his Facebook account has tons of pictures of him in Saint's gear Laughing

homie tried to pull an okie doke on the league there
dena

Post by dena on Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:12 am

Michael Vick is a joke, hilarious pick there after a strong opening drive by the Eagles.

Cameron.

Supports : Manchester United.

Post by Cameron. on Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:36 am

Tried watching this last week and really enjoyed it, watching it again this week, but I'm still really confused Sad. The first game I saw was with the 49'ers so I'm going to adopt them as my team shifty
Zzonked

Post by Zzonked on Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:00 am

Cameron. wrote:Tried watching this last week and really enjoyed it, watching it again this week, but I'm still really confused Sad. The first game I saw was with the 49'ers so I'm going to adopt them as my team shifty

You should get Madden and try and play that a bit, that really helped me learn the game in the beginning.
dena

Post by dena on Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:04 am

Ask questions and we'll answer them as they come.

Eli Manning is really stinking it up today, 2 interceptions already.

Jets - Steelers is the main game of the day to me, Revis, Harrison and Polamalou out... think we can sneak a win here.

Cameron.

Post by Cameron. on Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:12 am

Yeah, cheers Zzonked I'll probably try that Smile

I'm a complete amateur but here goes:

On the bar where the scores are it says 1st & 6, now I get the first number is for the downs and I'm assuming the right is yards but how come if the QB? moves back and gets tackled then the number gets bigger? Surely if it's part of the downs then him being tackled means they'll resume play in the original position, not further back?

Also the blue and yellow lines, the blue is where they resume play and the yellow is where they get past for the downs to start again?

What are the purpose of time-outs? To rest?

Why don't players try for field goals more often?

What are rush yards and rec? yards?

Final question, how come they sub players so often? Like when they have an offensive play, they'll sub (I'm presuming) some offensive players, I get that they'll sub them if they're on the offense and then lose the ball and go on the defense but why sub offense for offense?

Embarassed
dena

Post by dena on Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:22 am

Cameron. wrote:Yeah, cheers Zzonked I'll probably try that Smile

On the bar where the scores are it says 1st & 6, now I get the first number is for the downs and I'm assuming the right is yards but how come if the QB? moves back and gets tackled then the number gets bigger? Surely if it's part of the downs then him being tackled means they'll resume play in the original position, not further back?

Also the blue and yellow lines, the blue is where they resume play and the yellow is where they get past for the downs to start again?

Final question, how come they sub players so often? Like when they have an offensive play, they'll sub (I'm presuming) some offensive players, I get that they'll sub them if they're on the offense and then lose the ball and go on the defense but why sub offense for offense?

Embarassed

woah dere boy not all at once

I'll try to answer them as simply as I can.

You're right, when you see 1st and 10 the 1st is for downs (which are like attempts you have to gain more yards than the second number) that second number is yards. Every drive (or possession) starts at 1st and 10; you have four downs to get 10 yards initially (ie. a first down), say you run a play and gain 3 yards, it is now 2nd and 7 (this is your second play in the current down set, and you have 7 yards to get a first down). If you run a negative play, like the QB getting sacked then the ball is placed where the QB or runner was hit, so if you get sacked on 1st and 10 for a gain of -5 yards, it's now 2nd and 15.

The blue line is the line of scrimmage, or where the ball is at the start of the play, the yellow line is the first down marker.

Time outs are mainly for strategic use, you use a time out to stop the clock so you have more time to run plays. There are injury timeouts but they don't count against your team.

Not sure if I get this question, most NFL kickers have a max range of 50 or so yards, and the chance of converting from that range is probably 40 or 50%. If you miss a field goal the opposing team gets the ball back at the line of scrimmage used for your field goal which is usually pretty good field position, so for attempts of 50+, you'd probably punt the ball.

When the quarterback throws the ball to a receiver and he gains yards, those are passing yards. When a QB directly hands it off to a runner, or when a QB chooses to run with the ball instead of throwing it, those are running yards.

Players are substituted for strategy, the american football is a VERY strategic game, there are many different sets that offensives and defenses can use, and different players are suited to different sets, so there is a constant movement of players into and out of the game to work within those sets.

Not sure if I get subbing offense for defense.

Hope that helped, but i don't know shit. king

Cameron.

Post by Cameron. on Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:28 am

dena wrote:
Cameron. wrote:Yeah, cheers Zzonked I'll probably try that Smile

Embarassed

woah dere boy not all at once

I'll try to answer them as simply as I can.

You're right, when you see 1st and 10 the 1st is for downs (which are like attempts you have to gain more yards than the second number) that second number is yards. Every drive (or possession) starts at 1st and 10; you have four downs to get 10 yards initially (ie. a first down), say you run a play and gain 3 yards, it is now 2nd and 7 (this is your second play in the current down set, and you have 7 yards to get a first down). If you run a negative play, like the QB getting sacked then the ball is placed where the QB or runner was hit, so if you get sacked on 1st and 10 for a gain of -5 yards, it's now 2nd and 15.

The blue line is the line of scrimmage, or where the ball is at the start of the play, the yellow line is the first down marker.

Time outs are mainly for strategic use, you use a time out to stop the clock so you have more time to run plays. There are injury timeouts but they don't count against your team.

Not sure if I get this question, most NFL kickers have a max range of 50 or so yards, and the chance of converting from that range is probably 40 or 50%. If you miss a field goal the opposing team gets the ball back at the line of scrimmage used for your field goal which is usually pretty good field position, so for attempts of 50+, you'd probably punt the ball.

When the quarterback throws the ball to a receiver and he gains yards, those are passing yards. When a QB directly hands it off to a runner, or when a QB chooses to run with the ball instead of throwing it, those are running yards.

Players are substituted for strategy, the american football is a VERY strategic game, there are many different sets that offensives and defenses can use, and different players are suited to different sets, so there is a constant movement of players into and out of the game to work within those sets.

Not sure if I get subbing offense for defense.

Hope that helped, but i don't know shit. king

Yeah, I went into overdrive there Laughing but they're the main ones that I was lost at because the NFL website is awful for trying to learn the rules, too much technical jargon, your explanation's a lot better, thanks Top Hat
dena

Post by dena on Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:34 am

it's a weird game, the best way to learn is of course to watch the games, madden helps a bit too. but like i said ask away and we'll try to answer em.

Eli Manning is having a terrible game, 3 interceptions all leading to scores. damn.
Keanoo

Supports : Manchester United

Post by Keanoo on Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:37 am

Cardinals holding their own against NE so far, I expect NE to come out strong though in the second half.
Keanoo

Supports : Manchester United

Post by Keanoo on Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:04 am

Keanoo wrote:Cardinals holding their own against NE so far, I expect NE to come out strong though in the second half.

TD Cards!

Blocked punt then Roberts gets it in on 3rd & goal. Very Happy
Zzonked

Post by Zzonked on Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:19 am

I hate that phaggy Fox robot.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

• This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Current date/time is Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:29 pm