14-year old future terrorist arrested in the USA

ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Re: 14-year old future terrorist arrested in the USA

Post by ResurrectionRooney on Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:17 am

Ra's al Ghul wrote:I don't really get how the analogy is relevant. The point is that I don't believe ideas exist in a vacuum. If people turn to extremist beliefs then it's because of their real material conditions. Our mental conceptions are formed by our social being, not the other way around.

confused They don't exist in a vacuum, nobody's saying they do. If you believe people have extremist beliefs or are more likely to have extremist beliefs then it's wise to exercise additional caution around them. If I'm marching down your driveway with a baseball bat and you think I might well believe you've been having it away with my wife you're not too fussed about how that mental conception has been formed by my social being, you're concerned about escaping without injury, much as the teacher and security services in this news story were..

I totally agree that society can influence an individual's beliefs, although the idea that people turn to these beliefs because of desperation or poor living conditions is a misconception. The world's most famous terrorist came from an extremely wealthy family, well educated engineers often turn away from successful western lives to become evil terrorists. The fundamental problem is their belief that terrorism will be rewarded, which is itself borne from a belief that the Koran is the word of God. If the Koran explicitly forbade and gave no justification for terrorism there would be no Islamic terrorism, but it doesn't do this either because A) It's all made up or B) God either doesn't much care about or supports people doing terrorism in his name.
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney on Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:19 am

Keyser Söze wrote:
    ResurrectionRooney wrote:I don't need a detailed knowledge of Wahhabism or the terminology around it to make my point.  Ideas and beliefs matter.

I'm cringing because I can't believe you actually used the word. Do you think you even know what you're talking about?  Laughing  It's obvious you used it because it's the new buzz word which is what's so cringey. "Wahhabism" is not a thing.

It's not that new, I've known of it for at least ten years. It's been about two and a half years since I studied it in any detail though so please, refresh my memory and educate me.

Post by Keyser Söze on Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:52 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:
    Keyser Söze wrote:

I'm cringing because I can't believe you actually used the word. Do you think you even know what you're talking about?  Laughing  It's obvious you used it because it's the new buzz word which is what's so cringey. "Wahhabism" is not a thing.

It's not that new, I've known of it for at least ten years. It's been about two and a half years since I studied it in any detail though so please, refresh my memory and educate me.  

Sure you have.

I'm not saying the use of the word is new, Muslims have been calling other Muslims it for centuries. It's just the new tagline for people like you.

Muhammad ibn Abd al-Wahhab was a scholar who's teaching/preaching/writings are almost all based around "Allah said" or the "the Prophet Mohammed said". How can "Wahhabism" be a thing if it's principal "founders" entire ideology is based off Allah and Mohammed, the core of Islam? It's not "Wahhabism" it's simply Islam.

Fair enough if people want to criticise some aspects of Islam, just don't try to airbrush them out by saying they only apply to a certain movement/branch/sect as if they are innovations outside of classical Islam.

Post by Ra's al Ghul on Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:47 am

Ra's al Ghul wrote:I don't really get how the analogy is relevant. The point is that I don't believe ideas exist in a vacuum. If people turn to extremist beliefs then it's because of their real material conditions. Our mental conceptions are formed by our social being, not the other way around.

confused They don't exist in a vacuum, nobody's saying they do.  If you believe people have extremist beliefs or are more likely to have extremist beliefs then it's wise to exercise additional caution around them.  If I'm marching down your driveway with a baseball bat and you think I might well believe you've been having it away with my wife you're not too fussed about how that mental conception has been formed by my social being, you're concerned about escaping without injury, much as the teacher and security services in this news story were..

I totally agree that society can influence an individual's beliefs, although the idea that people turn to these beliefs because of desperation or poor living conditions is a misconception.  The world's most famous terrorist came from an extremely wealthy family, well educated engineers often turn away from successful western lives to become evil terrorists.  The fundamental problem is their belief that terrorism will be rewarded, which is itself borne from a belief that the Koran is the word of God.  If the Koran explicitly forbade and gave no justification for terrorism there would be no Islamic terrorism, but it doesn't do this either because A) It's all made up or B) God either doesn't much care about or supports people doing terrorism in his name.

That analogy falls flat on its face since there is no remote equivalency between being a Muslim and walking around with a weapon. 

"The fundamental problem is their that terrorism will be rewarded," Apparently terrorism is an Islamic invention now, or at the very least a theistic invention.  The most rampant terrorist organization of the last century or so has been the United States, and everything it has done has been for material benefits. The mobilization of groups such as Al-Qaeda or whoever else is only a manifestation of anti-imperialist sentiments fueled by the West's heinous exploitation of the Middle East. The reason this anti-imperialism was redirected in such a violent form was due to manipulation by people who benefited from war (weapons contractors, states whose existence is contingent on ever-present conflict). Since these people often also possess control over the method of dissemination of information (school and religious institutions), it became easy to manipulate these people into adopting "terrorism". Honestly the language you use ("successful Western lives to become evil terrorists") is indicative of someone with no academic background whatsoever and your arguments are offensively facile.
    vel

Post by vel on Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:23 am

ffs this thread was created as a joke, how many fucking 7+ letter words are there in your post bro
    SBSP

Post by SBSP on Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:36 am

vel wrote:ffs this thread was created as a joke, how many fucking 7+ letter words are there in your post bro
    vel

Post by vel on Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:04 am

stop
    SBSP

Post by SBSP on Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:14 pm

hammertime
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney on Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:49 pm

Keyser Söze wrote:

Sure you have.

I'm not saying the use of the word is new, Muslims have been calling other Muslims it for centuries. It's just the new tagline for people like you.

Muhammad ibn Abd al-Wahhab was a scholar who's teaching/preaching/writings are almost all based around "Allah said" or the "the Prophet Mohammed said". How can "Wahhabism" be a thing if it's principal "founders" entire ideology is based off Allah and Mohammed, the core of Islam? It's not "Wahhabism" it's simply Islam.

Fair enough if people want to criticise some aspects of Islam, just don't try to airbrush them out by saying they only apply to a certain movement/branch/sect as if they are innovations outside of classical Islam.

I don't know why you doubt me, surely to Allah I've proven that I've got a degree of interest in this sort of thing.

Wahhabism is the interpretation that guy did, you might think it's a more honest interpretation of the text - I happen to agree with you - but pretending there's no distinction between that and other forms of Islam to try and get one over on me is very silly. I expect better from you.

Ra's al Ghul wrote:

confused They don't exist in a vacuum, nobody's saying they do.  If you believe people have extremist beliefs or are more likely to have extremist beliefs then it's wise to exercise additional caution around them.  If I'm marching down your driveway with a baseball bat and you think I might well believe you've been having it away with my wife you're not too fussed about how that mental conception has been formed by my social being, you're concerned about escaping without injury, much as the teacher and security services in this news story were..

I totally agree that society can influence an individual's beliefs, although the idea that people turn to these beliefs because of desperation or poor living conditions is a misconception.  The world's most famous terrorist came from an extremely wealthy family, well educated engineers often turn away from successful western lives to become evil terrorists.  The fundamental problem is their belief that terrorism will be rewarded, which is itself borne from a belief that the Koran is the word of God.  If the Koran explicitly forbade and gave no justification for terrorism there would be no Islamic terrorism, but it doesn't do this either because A) It's all made up or B) God either doesn't much care about or supports people doing terrorism in his name.

That analogy falls flat on its face since there is no remote equivalency between being a Muslim and walking around with a weapon. 

"The fundamental problem is their that terrorism will be rewarded," Apparently terrorism is an Islamic invention now, or at the very least a theistic invention.  The most rampant terrorist organization of the last century or so has been the United States, and everything it has done has been for material benefits. The mobilization of groups such as Al-Qaeda or whoever else is only a manifestation of anti-imperialist sentiments fueled by the West's heinous exploitation of the Middle East. The reason this anti-imperialism was redirected in such a violent form was due to manipulation by people who benefited from war (weapons contractors, states whose existence is contingent on ever-present conflict). Since these people often also possess control over the method of dissemination of information (school and religious institutions), it became easy to manipulate these people into adopting "terrorism". Honestly the language you use ("successful Western lives to become evil terrorists") is indicative of someone with no academic background whatsoever and your arguments are offensively facile.

A weapon? It's a tool to play baseball with. Your reaction to me is dependent on what you think my beliefs are. If you believe I love baseball and want a game of it you're not worried, if you believe I think you've been boning my wife you are worried. If I'm carrying something and you don't know what it is - like this kid was - you vary your response based on my beliefs.

Religiously motivated terrorism is a religious invention, yes.

The United States is not a terrorist organisation, you are being ridiculous. Stop blaming other people for terrorists' behaviour, it's disgusting.
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney on Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:49 pm

Keyser Söze wrote:

Sure you have.

I don't know why you doubt me, surely to Allah I've proven that I've got a degree of interest in this sort of thing.

Wahhabism is the interpretation that guy did, you might think it's a more honest interpretation of the text - I happen to agree with you - but pretending there's no distinction between that and other forms of Islam to try and get one over on me is very silly. I expect better from you.

Ra's al Ghul wrote:

A weapon? It's a tool to play baseball with. Your reaction to me is dependent on what you think my beliefs are. If you believe I love baseball and want a game of it you're not worried, if you believe I think you've been boning my wife you are worried. If I'm carrying something and you don't know what it is - like this kid was - you vary your response based on my beliefs.

Religiously motivated terrorism is a religious invention, yes.

The United States is not a terrorist organisation, you are being ridiculous. Stop blaming other people for terrorists' behaviour, it's disgusting.

Post by Keyser Söze on Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:48 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:Wahhabism is the interpretation that guy did, you might think it's a more honest interpretation of the text - I happen to agree with you - but pretending there's no distinction between that and other forms of Islam to try and get one over on me is very silly.  I expect better from you.
    Laughing

This post makes things very clear. So you seriously have no idea what Wahhab said and what these other Muslims at the time said. Cool, just admit it and move on and next time don't mention a word you don't understand in a totally incorrect context it's extremely embarrassing.

" I've known of it for at least ten years" Laughing I seriously hope that's hipster sarcasm.
    FCB

Post by FCB on Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:50 am

I don't think the issue is that a teacher in his English class became suspicious about the device, it's the treatment the student received afterwards. He was suspended for 3 days from school, questioned by police without a lawyer or his parents present (he was actually refused the opportunity to call someone), arrested despite telling them the truth, etc.

So when someone says this wouldn't have happened if he was white, I tend to agree...

http://gawker.com/7-kids-not-named-mohamed-who-brought-homemade-clocks-to-1730999866

And it's not the kid's fault that he's getting all this support from famous people and institutions. He didn't ask for any of this.
    El_indian

Supports : funny

Post by El_indian on Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:35 pm

Why did the kid start a twitter account after the incident?

The clock he "built" was parts broken down from an actual digital clock and put into a briefcase.

I had always assumed it was something he probably made (from parts) following a guide on the internet. But I've just now watched a video where he claims it was his "invention".

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2015/09/hoax-exposed-muslim-student-ahmed-mohameds-briefcase-clock-is-1970s-digital-alarm-clock/

vel

Post by vel on Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:50 am

FCB wrote:And it's not the kid's fault that he's getting all this support from famous people and institutions. He didn't ask for any of this.
    Nobody is saying it's his fault. It's just that he is so lucky this went viral. Something like this is probably rarer than someone winning a major lottery. I'm happy for him, obviously. But I'm not going to lie and say I wouldn't kill someone to be in his position. I'm probably going to be upper-middle class my entire life, with a ceiling of a couple million dollars, the way I think my current situation projects over the next 10-15 years. This kid will literally have a red carpet to opportunities that are never available to the regular citizen. And he's only 14, so there is so much he can do. I feel like tearing up thinking about it.
    FCB

Post by FCB on Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:22 am

Okay, now I'm jealous haha
    vel

Post by vel on Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:15 am

I literally have tears in my eyes that I'm trying to blink away.
    El_indian

Post by El_indian on Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:24 am

WOW, a whole bunch of things he can break up, put in a briefcase and call an invention.

He's inventing the Microsoft Surface right now..

Post by Keyser Söze on Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:25 am

El_indian is bitter because he's a filthy asian and Ahmed is an arab getting all this attention.
    The Zlatan

Post by The Zlatan on Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:00 am

Keyser Söze wrote:Kid doesn't even look/sound that bothered about being arrested, you can tell it's his dad/family that realise what a massive opportunity this is, plus all the Pro-Muslim groups that are all clinging to him to push their agendas.

His father ran for presidency of Sudan back in April.

Presidential candidate Muhammad al-Hassan has pledged to work with the US administration to lift economic sanctions imposed on the country and have it removed from the list of state sponsors of terrorism.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-32225497

Run
    SBSP

Post by SBSP on Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:51 pm

Ahmed was actually in San Francisco yesterday. My friend met him.
    El_indian

Post by El_indian on Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:22 pm

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=avAatzhL4m4

Oh yeah he also built a CPU...
    The Zlatan

Post by The Zlatan on Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:59 am

El_indian wrote:http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=avAatzhL4m4

Oh yeah he also built a CPU...

Allahu Akbar, how do people lap up what this kid says? It's fucking crazy.

Post by Keyser Söze on Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:56 am

Soldering a CPU  rofl I thought this kid was an engineering genius?

Also

http://www.christianpost.com/news/texas-students-bomb-clock-a-hoax-ahmed-mohamed-raises-over-15k-planning-trips-to-mecca-and-white-house-146024/

http://thefederalist.com/2015/09/23/6-unanswered-questions-about-ahmed-mohameds-clock/
    The Zlatan

Post by The Zlatan on Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:34 am

If I'm the company that designed that clock I'm getting a lawsuit ready.
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney on Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:28 am

It's dodgy as fuck, this, he's from a family of known troublemakers and wanted to push his luck.
    El_indian

Post by El_indian on Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:36 pm

https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/3naqeu/how_to_get_a_250000_scholarship_to_mit_and_an/
    vel

Post by vel on Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:38 pm

LMFAO, this thread 2 years later
    vel

Post by vel on Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:39 pm

Ahmed is a fucking prince in Qatar fucking IG hoes and shitting in their mouths for $20k ffs
    Stranger

Supports : Barcelona, PSG, Bayern

Post by Stranger on Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:58 pm

k
    vel

Post by vel on Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:34 pm

Stranger wrote:k
    yo walter ask ryan if i can come back to EA it's been 2 years ffs

Sponsored content