Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
ResurrectionRooney
Glen Miller
Keyser Söze
SBSP
The Zlatan
Zzonked
vel
11 posters

14-year old future terrorist arrested in the USA

vel
    vel

14-year old future terrorist arrested in the USA Empty 14-year old future terrorist arrested in the USA

Post by vel Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:21 am

Police doing some proactive work and they're under fire for this? WTF.

This 14 year old named Ahmed Mohamed (red flag) is an inventor (red flag) and built a homemade clock (red flag) to school (red flag). He was investigated, handcuffed, and fingerprinted. Proactive policework done in Texas. 

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/09/16/texas-14-year-old-arrested-for-bringing-homemade-clock-to-school-after-teacher/

But then the police are under fire? 

14-year old future terrorist arrested in the USA CPCNGFrU8AEKQZH

LOOK AT HIM.
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

14-year old future terrorist arrested in the USA Empty Re: 14-year old future terrorist arrested in the USA

Post by Zzonked Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:29 am

The best quote I've seen on it is this:

Future Nobel prize winner14discovers how cruel humans can be, especially in the face of joyful curiosity. 

Laughing
    The Zlatan
    The Zlatan

14-year old future terrorist arrested in the USA Empty Re: 14-year old future terrorist arrested in the USA

Post by The Zlatan Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:47 am

He looks at least 26.
    vel
    vel

Post by vel Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:43 am

The crazy thing is how much attention Ahmed is getting from significant people. Barack Obeezy offered him a trip to the White House, he's receiving invitations from MIT graduate students, response from NASA representatives, the list goes on.

The guy is going to get a free ride because some fucking idiots accused him of making a bomb. Unreal.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:52 am

Mark Zuckerberg offered him a visit to Facebook.
    Keyser Söze
    Keyser Söze

Post by Keyser Söze Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:04 am

vel wrote:The crazy thing is how much attention Ahmed is getting from significant people. Barack Obeezy offered him a trip to the White House, he's receiving invitations from MIT graduate students, response from NASA representatives, the list goes on.

The guy is going to get a free ride because some fucking idiots accused him of making a bomb. Unreal.

Fully agree, thinking about this when I 1st heard this story really annoyed me. I'd gladly be detained for a few hours because I'm Muslim if it meant I'd get the same perks he's about to get.
    Keyser Söze
    Keyser Söze

Post by Keyser Söze Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:18 am

14-year old future terrorist arrested in the USA JGZ8RBU

Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Formerly known as : Glen Damon
    Supports : PLAYMAKER

Post by Glen Miller Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:40 am

Keyser Söze wrote:14-year old future terrorist arrested in the USA JGZ8RBU

Is that what he made?
    Keyser Söze
    Keyser Söze

Post by Keyser Söze Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:51 am

Yes.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Formerly known as : Glen Damon
    Supports : PLAYMAKER

Post by Glen Miller Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:57 am

It's not exactly an Howard Miller.
    vel
    vel

Post by vel Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:26 am

Keyser Söze wrote:
    vel wrote:The crazy thing is how much attention Ahmed is getting from significant people. Barack Obeezy offered him a trip to the White House, he's receiving invitations from MIT graduate students, response from NASA representatives, the list goes on.

Fully agree, thinking about this when I 1st heard this story really annoyed me. I'd gladly be detained for a few hours because I'm Muslim if it meant I'd get the same perks he's about to get.
    If I was Muslim I'd accept getting beaten and waterboarded if this was the result. Even my initial post really understates the huge opportunities the kid is getting. A free ride in university, a massive social media presence, with the snap of his fingers he can easily become a public speaker or an activist. He can quickly build connections with all the once-in-a-lifetime invitations he will be receiving (MIT, Government, NASA, Facebook, etc) and a career can be made from there. All for the sake of good PR. The quote from him about not bringing any more inventions into the classroom was a gem, especially in the STEM-dominated world.

Amazing stuff. I can't believe there are people upset about this. The kid has literally won the politically-correct lottery. I wish it was me. I'd rather this than winning the lottery. Just imagine the priceless opportunities from this. I'm so fucking jealous.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:41 am

Better safe than sorry.  If you follow an ideology like that and worship a God like that - real or imaginary - you should expect a bit more scrutiny.

Last edited by ResurrectionRooney on Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Keyser Söze
    Keyser Söze

Post by Keyser Söze Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:59 am

Glen Miller wrote:It's not exactly an Howard Miller.
    It clearly looks like he was going for the "movie bomb" look. Exposed wires, large red LED display and silver/steel looking suitcase. I mean I can't say that with any certainty, but I have a hard time believing not once did he cross his mind that "hey this looks a little like a bomb".

vel wrote:
    Keyser Söze wrote:

If I was Muslim I'd accept getting beaten and waterboarded if this was the result. Even my initial post really understates the huge opportunities the kid is getting. A free ride in university, a massive social media presence, with the snap of his fingers he can easily become a public speaker or an activist. He can quickly build connections with all the once-in-a-lifetime invitations he will be receiving (MIT, Government, NASA, Facebook, etc) and a career can be made from there. All for the sake of good PR. The quote from him about not bringing any more inventions into the classroom was a gem, especially in the STEM-dominated world.

Amazing stuff. I can't believe there are people upset about this. The kid has literally won the politically-correct lottery. I wish it was me. I'd rather this than winning the lottery. Just imagine the priceless opportunities from this. I'm so fucking jealous.
    I was going to initially say I'd take a beating as well Laughing People are sending emails on his behalf asking for him to get scholarships, he's also getting numerous funds set up for him. He's also probably going to sue the school/district and win a shit tonne just from and out of court settlement.

Like you said the connections and exposure he's going to get means if he's not a totally retard then he'll still be relevant till his mid 20-30's. Beyond that all the opportunities open to him means he'll be set for life. Kid doesn't even look/sound that bothered about being arrested, you can tell it's his dad/family that realise what a massive opportunity this is, plus all the Pro-Muslim groups that are all clinging to him to push their agendas.

The thing clearly looks like a someone trying to make a crude bomb. By the sounds of it he got really nervous and just kept repeating "it's a clock", which is exactly what someone that got caught making a bomb would say. They booked him, questioned him further at the station to totally clear everything up then let him go. Again, that's just going off what he and the police have said.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:59 am

Keyser Söze wrote:14-year old future terrorist arrested in the USA JGZ8RBU

If you showed this to me without context, I'd say it was a bomb long before I guessed clock.
    Keyser Söze
    Keyser Söze

Post by Keyser Söze Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:01 am

Obviously it's a petty barometer but almost the entire front page of Reddit is filled with shit about him. And it's been like this all day with new stories/posts cycling in and out.
    vel
    vel

Post by vel Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:42 pm

I would think it's a bomb as well. But jesus man, the guy is getting a FREE RIDE. ffs. apparently his family is giving PIZZA away to the media outside their house. attention grab if i ever saw one.

btw Keyser, you're definitely right. twitter was blowing up this morning, all about how if he was white he wouldn't be persecuted, Muslim lives matter, the list goes on. insane stuff.
    Ra's al Ghul
    Ra's al Ghul

Post by Ra's al Ghul Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:00 pm

I love how the narrative is now "look how lucky that kid is" as opposed to "holy shit, the US' persecution of people of colour has become batshit insane, something needs to be done about this". Ffs guys, get a grip.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:19 pm

Ra's al Ghul wrote:I love how the narrative is now "look how lucky that kid is" as opposed to "holy shit, the US' persecution of people of colour has become batshit insane, something needs to be done about this". Ffs guys, get a grip.

Please don't try to conflate this with the police treatment of black criminals, it is a completely separate issue. If there was any sort of profiling it was because he is a Muslim and Muslims are seen as the main terrorist threat, it didn't matter how dark his skin was.
    El_indian
    El_indian

Supports : funny

Post by El_indian Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:27 pm

Is this a plot to get an actual bomb into the White House?
    Ra's al Ghul
    Ra's al Ghul

Post by Ra's al Ghul Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:38 pm

ResurrectionRooney wrote:
    Ra's al Ghul wrote:I love how the narrative is now "look how lucky that kid is" as opposed to "holy shit, the US' persecution of people of colour has become batshit insane, something needs to be done about this". Ffs guys, get a grip.

Please don't try to conflate this with the police treatment of black criminals, it is a completely separate issue.  If there was any sort of profiling it was because he is a Muslim and Muslims are seen as the main terrorist threat, it didn't matter how dark his skin was.

You think if his name was Jack and was white, but still Muslim, the issue would have been the same? He was profiled because he was an Arab and because he was brown. Fascist apologists like you will try to frame it as if it's religious or cultural profiling (as if that's somehow better), but the fact that people of colour in the States are universally discriminated against reveals the truth of the matter.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:51 pm

Ra's al Ghul wrote:

Please don't try to conflate this with the police treatment of black criminals, it is a completely separate issue.  If there was any sort of profiling it was because he is a Muslim and Muslims are seen as the main terrorist threat, it didn't matter how dark his skin was.

You think if his name was Jack and was white, but still Muslim, the issue would have been the same? He was profiled because he was an Arab and because he was brown. Fascist apologists like you will try to frame it as if it's religious or cultural profiling (as if that's somehow better), but the fact that people of colour in the States are universally discriminated against reveals the truth of the matter.

If they knew or believed he was Muslim then of course. I do think it's right to profile people based on what they believe in, if you have a reasonable belief that someone is a committed Jainist it is right to treat them with a lot less suspicion than someone you have a reasonable belief is a committed Wahabbist. Do you disagree with that?
    El_indian
    El_indian

Post by El_indian Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:56 pm

It is likely that a white kid holding a beeping briefcase with loose hanging wires would have been reported.

You cannot say for sure that this only happened because he was Arab.

There wasn't some sort of science fair on at the time was there?

As a teacher i would be suspicious. I wouldn't call in the bomb squad but i would ask him what it is...Maybe ask the kid's friend even (away from blast radius).
    Ra's al Ghul
    Ra's al Ghul

Post by Ra's al Ghul Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:04 pm

Ra's al Ghul wrote:

If they knew or believed he was Muslim then of course.  I do think it's right to profile people based on what they believe in, if you have a reasonable belief that someone is a committed Jainist it is right to treat them with a lot less suspicion than someone you have a reasonable belief is a committed Wahabbist.  Do you disagree with that?

If they're both 14 then yes, I do disagree with that. Generally, though, I don't put much stock in people's ideas. They're only a reflection of material conditions. And you're completely deluding yourself saying the situation would be the same if he was white. There are numerous instances of non-Muslim brown people who have been persecuted because they have a certain appearance.

Edit: Example of such discrimination - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/07/history-of-hate-crimes-against-sikhs-since-911_n_1751841.html
    El_indian
    El_indian

Post by El_indian Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:17 pm

Ra's al Ghul wrote:

If they knew or believed he was Muslim then of course.  I do think it's right to profile people based on what they believe in, if you have a reasonable belief that someone is a committed Jainist it is right to treat them with a lot less suspicion than someone you have a reasonable belief is a committed Wahabbist.  Do you disagree with that?

If they're both 14 then yes, I do disagree with that. Generally, though, I don't put much stock in people's ideas. They're only a reflection of material conditions. And you're completely deluding yourself saying the situation would be the same if he was white. There are numerous instances of non-Muslim brown people who have been persecuted because they have a certain appearance.

Edit: Example of such discrimination - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/07/history-of-hate-crimes-against-sikhs-since-911_n_1751841.html

But this kid doesn't have that "certain appearance". He's just a regular looking brown nerdy kid (with a cool NASA t-shirt). The majority of people in the article are older men. The younger one's get bullied for wearing a turban.

Last edited by El_indian on Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Ra's al Ghul
    Ra's al Ghul

Post by Ra's al Ghul Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:20 pm

El_indian wrote:
    Ra's al Ghul wrote:

But this kid doesn't have that "certain appearance". He's just a regular looking brown nerdy kid (with a cool NASA t-shirt).

And a very distinctive name.
    Keyser Söze
    Keyser Söze

Post by Keyser Söze Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:25 pm

That narrative has been discussed to death everywhere else. Personally I'm not sure he was profiled because he was Arab. I mean of course he might have been, but I think with the prevalence of school massacres in the US any kid black, brown, white, yellow etc.. would have been treated the same if they brought a device like that into school. Their are plenty of examples of Muslim persecution in the US, I just don't think this is one of them. What me and vel are saying is that does the treament this Ahmed kid has undergone at the hands of his school/police justify the rewards he could potentially receive?

Massive, massive cringe. Stop throwing around words you have no idea about.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:54 am

Ra's al Ghul wrote:

You don't put much stock in people's ideas? What? You're talking shit. If I have the idea that you've been sleeping with my wife and I walk down your drive carrying a baseball bat you're going to react in a pretty different different way to if I have the idea that you're a good friend of mine who enjoys baseball.

Keyser Söze wrote:
    That narrative has been discussed to death everywhere else. Personally I'm not sure he was profiled because he was Arab. I mean of course he might have been, but I think with the prevalence of school massacres in the US any kid black, brown, white, yellow etc.. would have been treated the same if they brought a device like that into school. Their are plenty of examples of Muslim persecution in the US, I just don't think this is one of them. What me and vel are saying is that does the treament this Ahmed kid has undergone at the hands of his school/police justify the rewards he could potentially receive?      

Massive, massive cringe. Stop throwing around words you have no idea about.

I don't need a detailed knowledge of Wahhabism or the terminology around it to make my point. Ideas and beliefs matter.
    Ra's al Ghul
    Ra's al Ghul

Post by Ra's al Ghul Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:09 am

I don't really get how the analogy is relevant. The point is that I don't believe ideas exist in a vacuum. If people turn to extremist beliefs then it's because of their real material conditions. Our mental conceptions are formed by our social being, not the other way around.
    vel
    vel

Post by vel Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:52 am

Is that really the general narrative? I have barely been following with the updates since the incident, but the "persecution of people of colour" was the major talking point of the entire case. That's what 99% of the complaints were, if he was white then his creativity would have been lauded rather than scrutinized. We all know about how the American police treat non-whites. When I talk about his future prospects, that's all it is. He's so lucky, so blessed to have something like this happen to him.
    Keyser Söze
    Keyser Söze

Post by Keyser Söze Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:28 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:I don't need a detailed knowledge of Wahhabism or the terminology around it to make my point.  Ideas and beliefs matter.

I'm cringing because I can't believe you actually used the word. Do you think you even know what you're talking about?  Laughing  It's obvious you used it because it's the new buzz word which is what's so cringey. "Wahhabism" is not a thing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:27 am