Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+16
Glen Miller
Ra's al Ghul
Theo Filippo
Cam
Cam.
Kuled
ResurrectionRooney
Moose
Zzonked
Mason19294828838822
Jordan Henderchip
Keyser Söze
SBSP
Mal
El_indian
Scott_LFC
20 posters

PS4 thread.

Scott_LFC

PS4 thread.  - Page 3 Empty Re: PS4 thread.

Post by Scott_LFC Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:36 am

Theo Filippo wrote:Alright, pay £400 for a minor improvement on the PS3. scratch

rofl facepalm

Don't chat shit when you clearly don't know anything about it.

Ra's al Ghul wrote:
    Theo Filippo wrote:Alright, pay £400 for a minor improvement on the PS3. scratch

That barely has any games worth playing and almost none that are not coming out for PS3 as well. Or alternatively you can wait until 2015 when it's likely to have gone down in price and when a whole host of great games are released.

Fifa 14
    Need For Speed: Rivals
    Wolfenstein: The New Order
    Killzone: Shadow Fall
    InFamous: Second Son

Are the games I currently have at the moment (not including the 6 games I got for free with the PS+ subscription) and all of them have been well worth playing.

The difference in graphics between the previous and current generation consoles is huge, as well. Sometimes I walk into my Brother's room, see him playing on the PS3 and it's almost staggering how bad it looks compared to what I've now gotten used to.

PS4 thread.  - Page 3 FIFA_14__PS3_versu_2785992a

PS4 thread.  - Page 3 James-Harden-current-gen-newt-gen

PS4 thread.  - Page 3 Maxresdefault

Pictures on the left look like fucking PS2 graphics in comparison.
    Theo Filippo
    Theo Filippo

Formerly known as : Filippo Inzaghi

Post by Theo Filippo Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:11 am

Only the NBA game looks significantly better.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Formerly known as : Glen Damon
    Supports : PLAYMAKER

Post by Glen Miller Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:44 am

Theo Filippo wrote:Only the NBA game looks significantly better.
    Agreed.  Laughing  I think I can live with a 93% accurate representation of Messi, the 95% isn't worth 400 dollars.
    Scott_LFC

Post by Scott_LFC Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:14 pm

Like I said, I walk in on my Brother playing the PS3 (GTA5 and GT6) and it staggers me how bad it looks compared to what I've gotten used to. The NBA picture is probably the most accurate representation of the difference (It's actually even better than that, but I can't find a picture that does it justice). I don't know how you can say the bottom picture doesn't have a significant difference, though. But of course, you don't want to admit to being wrong, so you're not going to agree with it, are you? Rolling Eyes

http://a.pomf.se/ulhgiw.webm

^ You're not going to get anything even remotely close to that, on a PS3.

What's more, is it's going to get even better. Whereas, PS3, graphics-wise, is only going to stagnate from here on out. PS4 is only just beginning, and already shits all over the PS3.

PS4 thread.  - Page 3 763998940808165290

If you continue to say it's hardly any difference, then I know you're chatting bollocks Laughing The difference in texture is vast.

Again, I can't find anything that does it true justice, so bear in mind, that in reality, it's even better than what I am showing you.

Cam already knows this anyway, as he has an Xbox One and he was raving about the graphical difference on FIFA when I asked him about it, back before I got the PS4.

That's the reason he's unsure of getting a PS4. Because he has an Xbox One, already.
    Jordan Henderchip
    Jordan Henderchip

Supports : FS #41

Post by Jordan Henderchip Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:55 pm

I really want a PS4
    Scott_LFC

Post by Scott_LFC Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:56 am

"Minor improvement" rofl
    Keyser Söze
    Keyser Söze

Post by Keyser Söze Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:40 am

Look at you desperately trying to justify your purchase of a PS4  Laughing
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:45 am

Scott_LFC wrote:

"Minor improvement" rofl
    I don't think anyone has questioned whether it is better, everyone just seems to think that the graphics and play on the PS3 are more than adequate and it's not worth anywhere near 400 dollars/pounds to upgrade the system.
    Scott_LFC

Post by Scott_LFC Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:11 pm

Glen Miller wrote:
    Scott_LFC wrote:

"Minor improvement" rofl
    I don't think anyone has questioned whether it is better, everyone just seems to think that the graphics and play on the PS3 are more than adequate and it's not worth anywhere near 400 dollars/pounds to upgrade the system.

PS4 is only £349. Sell PS3 for £100+ and games for £40+ (which is what I did), overall spend is £209 or less, for a far superior machine.

Fair enough if you can't actually afford it, then it makes sense not to purchase a new PS4/isn't worth it.

But if it's something you can afford, it's definitely worth it. No question.

Depends on your financial situation, really.
    Jordan Henderchip
    Jordan Henderchip

Post by Jordan Henderchip Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:08 pm

If I can win the necessary funds during this World Cup, then I will be purchasing a PS4. If not I will wait
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:08 pm

Glen Miller wrote:
    Scott_LFC wrote:

"Minor improvement" rofl

I agree. There isn't anything wrong with the PS3 version in that video, I don't think I would enjoy it that much more with the PS4 graphics. I feel like all console gamers will buy a new one eventually for the new games. If you have the money might as well get it now.
    Scott_LFC

Post by Scott_LFC Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:16 am

Zzonked wrote:
    Glen Miller wrote:

I agree. There isn't anything wrong with the PS3 version in that video, I don't think I would enjoy it that much more with the PS4 graphics. I feel like all console gamers will buy a new one eventually for the new games. If you have the money might as well get it now.

Of course there's nothing "wrong" with it. There's nothing wrong with dusting off the old Nintendo 64 and playing GoldenEye. That's not the point. The point is, it's a huge improvement in graphics, and ultimately, that adds to the overall gaming experience.

But it's not just the graphics, anyway. There's other changes to game-play, menu layouts, loading times/speed, reliability, etc (as seen by how different FIFA 14 looks and feels to play on the PS4 compared to the PS3). There's also the added functionality of having a touch-pad on the controller (currently used to change camera-view on FIFA 14), which will be implemented to the PS4 versions of games.

The PS4 is ten times more powerful than the PS3.

The OS is so much more functional and a hell of a lot snappier/crisp. The console is quieter, the controllers are superior.

Also there's the live streaming. You can stream a FIFA Match at the click of a button. And the ability to record your last 15 minutes of gameplay and saving it/uploading it to FB in seconds, or whatever. I love using this for FIFA.

These may seem like minor things when listed, but as an overall package, it makes a hell of a lot of difference.

Back to graphics. When my Brother gets me to play a lap on Gran Turismo or something, I instantly notice the difference. Like I've said twice now, walking in on him playing on the PS3 and looking at the game-play/graphics, it almost feels like I am looking at a PS2 game at times. That's how big the difference feels for me. It's insane, and then of course, when I return to my PS4, I appreciate how great it is, all over again. My brother watched me playing Need For Speed when I got it and was in awe. Need For Speed is an arcade racing game (aka not simulator) yet he couldn't believe how this "arcade" racing game made his PS3 Gran Turismo look like a cartoon with graphical glitches everywhere.

But yes, people will end up buying the PS4 for the new games, plus the PS3 is basically going to stagnate now, with the game developers concentrating on getting their games perfect for the next-gen.

If it's affordable, it's most definitely worth the upgrade. Especially if you sell your PS3 and the games you've got for it. I mean, £200 for a far superior gaming console? That's peanuts. A no brainer.

Edit: (List of things it has over the PS3)

* move-level motion controls integrated into your controller

* a headset jack integrated into your controller

* a new input pad that allows hand gestures (for scrolling, zooming in/out, swiping, double tapping, and other related actions we've gotten used to)

* a constant recording of your previous 5-10 minutes of gameplay.

* the option to livestream your game without uploading anything or doing anything.

* the option to connect as a controller to a friend's console, to help him with a game or join him on a game that doesn't normally support online co-op, including the option to take over his controller slot and help him with a game segment.

* Cross game voice chat.

* the ability to instantly put the console into sleep mode from any state, and instantly bring it back and continue your game from where you left off.

* Vastly superior online interface due to better built in applications and services not possible on PS3.

* the ability to stream any PS4 game to your Vita and play the game using the Vita's screen and be able to control it fully.

*PS4 will used Gaikai for instant demos support without downloading them from the store. You will also be able to Rent Games before you buy them on PS4..

* Gaikai support for playing full games while they are downloading.

Gaikai promises within over time. you will play every game from PS1,PS2,PS3,PS4

* better support for porting graphical engines and game engines designed for PC due to the more streamlined PC architecture.

* support for 4K video output for media purposes.

* Vastly superior web browsing and media streaming.

* Vastly superior loading times, vastly superior graphics, vastly superior storage (according to Sony)

* Built in speaker on the controller

* Continue downloads when console is in power save mode (does not need to fully turn on as the PS3 does for auto-downloads via PS+)
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:39 am

The graphics on goldeneye are total shit to the point where it would bother me though. The gameplay for shooters has progressed a lot too, I personally can't stand goldeneye with the way you have to stop walking to aim. There is a lot wrong with it to be honest, compared to new games it's like night and day. The difference between ps3 and 4 is marginal compared.

I don't care at all about all the other fluff like live streaming, recording, web browsing etc.. I play Fifa and occasionally dragon age a couple of times a week and that's it. I might get a new one when the new dragon age is out, but there is not really any point in people like me getting a new console right now.
    Scott_LFC

Post by Scott_LFC Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:51 am

Zzonked wrote:The graphics on goldeneye are total shit to the point where it would bother me though. The gameplay for shooters has progressed a lot too, I personally can't stand goldeneye with the way you have to stop walking to aim. There is a lot wrong with it to be honest, compared to new games it's like night and day. The difference between ps3 and 4 is marginal compared.

I don't care at all about all the other fluff like live streaming, recording, web browsing etc.. I play Fifa and occasionally dragon age a couple of times a week and that's it. I might get a new one when the new dragon age is out, but there is not really any point in people like me getting a new console right now.

Have you clocked many hours on the PS4?
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:52 am

Most of those look like useless gimmicks nobody wanted and features that have been on other consoles for ten years. Things like 4K graphics are useless in 2014 when nobody has the hardware to display them, media streaming is good, but you already get than on PS4. Better web browsing in an era where literally everyone has a smartphone, most people have tablets, everyone has laptops, does anyone actually use it?
    Scott_LFC

Post by Scott_LFC Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:15 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:Most of those look like useless gimmicks nobody wanted and features that have been on other consoles for ten years.  Things like 4K graphics are useless in 2014 when nobody has the hardware to display them, media streaming is good, but you already get than on PS4.  Better web browsing in an era where literally everyone has a smartphone, most people have tablets, everyone has laptops, does anyone actually use it?

* move-level motion controls integrated into your controller - probably one for the future. Was able to use motion control a couple of times on Infamous Second Son, was pretty cool.

* a headset jack integrated into your controller - much more convenient than having to plug it into the console itself

* a new input pad that allows hand gestures (for scrolling, zooming in/out, swiping, double tapping, and other related actions we've gotten used to) Used it for a few different games. Good addition, especially when you can assign shortcuts to it.

* a constant recording of your previous 5-10 minutes of gameplay. - brilliant for uploading clips of something that's just happened, onto Facebook, in a click of a button. You couldn't do that on the PS3.

* the option to livestream your game without uploading anything or doing anything. Brilliant if you want to stream a game to your friends. I have used it a couple of times to let people watch a fifa match between me and a friend.

* the option to connect as a controller to a friend's console, to help him with a game or join him on a game that doesn't normally support online co-op, including the option to take over his controller slot and help him with a game segment. Haven't used this

* Cross game voice chat. Have't used this

* the ability to instantly put the console into sleep mode from any state, and instantly bring it back and continue your game from where you left off. Great feature. Love being able to just put it to sleep and then when I turn it on later, I'm straight into the menus of FIFA, rather than having to load it all up.

* Vastly superior online interface due to better built in applications and services not possible on PS3. What it says on the tin.

* the ability to stream any PS4 game to your Vita and play the game using the Vita's screen and be able to control it fully. Haven't used it

*PS4 will used Gaikai for instant demos support without downloading them from the store. You will also be able to Rent Games before you buy them on PS4.. I've been able to play games when they're not fully downloaded, etc. Pretty useful when you cba to wait for the whole thing to download.

* Gaikai support for playing full games while they are downloading. See above

Gaikai promises within over time. you will play every game from PS1,PS2,PS3,PS4 Meh

* better support for porting graphical engines and game engines designed for PC due to the more streamlined PC architecture. Straight over my head

* support for 4K video output for media purposes. One for the future

* Vastly superior web browsing and media streaming. Much, much better experience than on the PS3. So much better.

* Vastly superior loading times, vastly superior graphics, vastly superior storage (according to Sony) What it says on the tin

* Built in speaker on the controller Was a shock when I first heard sound coming out of the controller, but it's pretty cool. Like on a shooting game, it says the name of the gun you've switched to, or whatever. You can turn it off.

* Continue downloads when console is in power save mode (does not need to fully turn on as the PS3 does for auto-downloads via PS+) This is a godsend.

So no, not really just gimmicks, RR.

Last edited by Scott_LFC on Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total
    Scott_LFC

Post by Scott_LFC Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:23 am

Also, I have the PS4 App on my phone, so I can reply to inbox messages using my phone, rather than taking ages to input letter by letter on the onscreen keyboard. I will upload some pictures. Integrates seamlessly with the PS4.
    Scott_LFC

Post by Scott_LFC Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:26 am

PS4 thread.  - Page 3 IMG_1702

PS4 thread.  - Page 3 IMG_1706

PS4 thread.  - Page 3 IMG_1707

PS4 thread.  - Page 3 IMG_1704

PS4 thread.  - Page 3 IMG_1703

PS4 thread.  - Page 3 IMG_1709

PS4 thread.  - Page 3 IMG_1710

PS4 thread.  - Page 3 IMG_1708

PS4 thread.  - Page 3 IMG_1705

So you can do all that shit without even being near the PS4.

But it's especially useful when you're in a game and don't want to go to the menus or whatever to reply to a message or whatever. Just do it all on your iPhone whilst staying in the game.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:21 am

Scott_LFC wrote:
    Glen Miller wrote:

PS4 is only £349. Sell PS3 for £100+ and games for £40+ (which is what I did), overall spend is £209 or less, for a far superior machine.

Fair enough if you can't actually afford it, then it makes sense not to purchase a new PS4/isn't worth it.

I don't even play that much, not everyone has 10k life savings and can make it rain.
    Scott_LFC

Post by Scott_LFC Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:25 am

Glen Miller wrote:
    Scott_LFC wrote:

I don't even play that much, not everyone has 10k life savings and can make it rain.

21k*

PS4 thread.  - Page 3 Tumblr_miakpvogod1rxu0o6o1_500
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:31 am

Scott_LFC wrote:
    Glen Miller wrote:

21k*
    Cool.

Lack of money isn't the issue for any of us here, we wouldn't be spending time on a football forum if we didn't have 400 spare dollars/349 pounds.  I just get the feeling that most of us are casual-at-best gamers, want value for our money, and as such don't feel any urge to upgrade. If you are happy with your purchase, I'm in no position to question that, it just doesn't translate over for me.
    Scott_LFC

Post by Scott_LFC Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:33 am

Excluding the gif, not cool.

You could have just said that in the first place, although my comments were more aimed at Theo and his ignorant "minor improvement" remark.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:42 am

Scott_LFC wrote:Excluding the gif, not cool.

You could have just said that in the first place, although my comments were more aimed at Theo and his ignorant "minor improvement" remark.
    You must have edited it in, I didn't see it the first time.

I don't think Theo was ignorant there, he's probably a casual gamer like me who finds that the XBOX Three Hundred and Sixty and PS3 were both of a very high standard, such that we aren't really bothered by any new releases.  I agree with him, the graphics have gone from "very realistic" to "very very realistic," but I don't really care that much, it's only a minor improvement because I'm not bothered whether or not I can see the acne scars on the lower chin of the man I'm shooting in Call of Duty; as long as he has two eyes, a nose, and a mouth and is reasonably realistic I'm set. 

The other features, such as voice activation, just seem like pointless gimmicks to me and are probably entering an area I actually don't like from video game consoles.
    Jordan Henderchip
    Jordan Henderchip

Post by Jordan Henderchip Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:36 pm

I might have to stop looking at this thread, every time I look at it I want a PS4 even more Crying or Very sad
    Scott_LFC

Post by Scott_LFC Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:13 pm

Glen Miller wrote:
    Scott_LFC wrote:Excluding the gif, not cool.

I don't think Theo was ignorant there, he's probably a casual gamer like me who finds that the XBOX Three Hundred and Sixty and PS3 were both of a very high standard, such that we aren't really bothered by any new releases.  I agree with him, the graphics have gone from "very realistic" to "very very realistic," but I don't really care that much, it's only a minor improvement because I'm not bothered whether or not I can see the acne scars on the lower chin of the man I'm shooting in Call of Duty; as long as he has two eyes, a nose, and a mouth and is reasonably realistic I'm set. 

The other features, such as voice activation, just seem like pointless gimmicks to me and are probably entering an area I actually don't like from video game consoles.

I am a casual gamer, too.

Saying it's a minor improvement is still ignorant, because it's not a minor improvement at all. It's a big step up in all departments. Being a casual gamer who "doesn't care" about it isn't an excuse to say that the improvements are only minor.

I still maintain that if you were to actually get one and play around with it/on it for a while, and then jump back on a PS3, you'd realise just how much better it is.

But of course, you don't miss what you never had.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:29 pm

Honestly the only reason my dad bought one is because our PS3 broke. I agree that it's a significant improvement, but it's not worth getting right now if you're only going to be playing FIFA.

I'd say the Share feature is probably my favourite little addition. I can quickly upload a good quality video of a goal without having to use EA's broken highlights system or spending hundreds of dollars on a game capture device.
    Scott_LFC

Post by Scott_LFC Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:37 pm

SBSP wrote:Honestly the only reason my dad bought one is because our PS3 broke. I agree that it's a significant improvement, but it's not worth getting right now if you're only going to be playing FIFA.

I'd say the Share feature is probably my favourite little addition. I can quickly upload a good quality video of a goal without having to use EA's broken highlights system or spending hundreds of dollars on a game capture device.

Agreed.

I think the difference between the 2 versions of FIFA 15 when it comes out, will be so big, though.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:44 pm

Should be since they've had all year to work on it properly. I'm hoping it's close to the leap FIFA took from '08 on the PC to '09 on the PS3/Xbox.
    Scott_LFC

Post by Scott_LFC Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:46 pm

SBSP wrote:Should be since they've had all year to work on it properly. I'm hoping it's close to the leap FIFA took from '08 on the PC to '09 on the PS3/Xbox.

As well as not really focusing their attention on the PS3 version.
    Ra's al Ghul
    Ra's al Ghul

Post by Ra's al Ghul Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:26 pm

Scott_LFC wrote:
    Glen Miller wrote:

I am a casual gamer, too.

Saying it's a minor improvement is still ignorant, because it's not a minor improvement at all. It's a big step up in all departments. Being a casual gamer who "doesn't care" about it isn't an excuse to say that the improvements are only minor.

I still maintain that if you were to actually get one and play around with it/on it for a while, and then jump back on a PS3, you'd realise just how much better it is.

But of course, you don't miss what you never had.

I have regular access to a PS4. It's obviously an upgrade but by no means a huge upgrade. As long as the games they're releasing are available on both platforms then I see no reason to buy one, especially since almost all the big PS4 releases have garnered mildly positive to mediocre receptions from reviewers and general audiences.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:07 pm