Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+24
Sean
Grenade
dena
Scuba Steve
FCB
Zzonked
Scott_LFC
ResurrectionRooney
Dagbon
ayvee1
Clark
Yrael
Iscquin
Keyser Söze
Stranger
Eternal Witcher
Juvendinho
TheRangersFan
Jordan Henderchip
El_indian
SophisticatedBeggar
Phadunkin Donuts
Glen Miller
Ra's al Ghul
28 posters

Recently Watched Movies/General Movie Discussion

Zzonked
    Zzonked

Recently Watched Movies/General Movie Discussion - Page 9 Empty Re: Recently Watched Movies/General Movie Discussion

Post by Zzonked Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:09 am

Keyser Söze wrote:
    Zzonked wrote:
    Spoiler:
    So when did you think the movie should have finished? Because that didn't really take up all of the last 15 minutes, more like about 5.

Spoiler:
    Ra's al Ghul
    Ra's al Ghul

Recently Watched Movies/General Movie Discussion - Page 9 Empty Re: Recently Watched Movies/General Movie Discussion

Post by Ra's al Ghul Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:04 am

Keyser Söze wrote:
    Spoiler:

I understand what you're saying but ultimately I don't feel remotely qualified to confirm it or deny it. It's clear that a leap of some form was taken in the third act. How big is that leap? I don't have any idea. I intend to read The Science of Interstellar to get a better idea but I'm aware that it will only be coming from one side of the argument. I would like to get a better understanding of the foundations on which such a theory is built. In any case, as I've said before, I found it emotionally affecting despite its questionable realism which was enough to make me go with it, but I do understand why others may have not.

Oh, one final thing that should be noted is that the idea of love as a transcendent force is only something we hear from the characters in the film. It is not depicted as objective fact, merely as observations and rationalizations made by the overwhelmed characters who struggle to make sense of the events that they go through.
    Keyser Söze
    Keyser Söze

Post by Keyser Söze Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:14 am

Ra's al Ghul wrote:
    Keyser Söze wrote:
    Spoiler:

I understand what you're saying but ultimately I don't feel remotely qualified to confirm it or deny it. It's clear that a leap of some form was taken in the third act. How big is that leap? I don't have any idea. I intend to read The Science of Interstellar to get a better idea but I'm aware that it will only be coming from one side of the argument. I would like to get a better understanding of the foundations on which such a theory is built. In any case, as I've said before, I found it emotionally affecting despite its questionable realism which was enough to make me go with it, but I do understand why others may have not.

Oh, one final thing that should be noted is that the idea of love as a transcendent force is only something we hear from the characters in the film. It is not depicted as objective fact, merely as observations and rationalizations made by the overwhelmed characters who struggle to make sense of the events that they go through.

Spoiler:
    SophisticatedBeggar
    SophisticatedBeggar

Post by SophisticatedBeggar Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:19 pm

Ra's al Ghul wrote:
    Keyser Söze wrote:

Fully agree.

What parts didn't you like? I read your comment and some less than perfect reviews  and went into it not expecting it to be as good as his other films but I thought it really good, certainly not worse than his other films.

However:

Spoiler:

Did you watch it in IMAX?

I've seen it twice now and I enjoyed my second viewing significantly more. The first time I was trying so hard to keep up with the scientific jargon and all the plot developments that I didn't really connect with the emotional core. Second time I just allowed myself to get swept away in the experience and I found it kind of beautiful.

Spoiler:

No, I didn't see it in IMAX.
    Spoiler:
    Zzonked wrote:
    Keyser Söze wrote:
    So when did you think the movie should have finished? Because that didn't really take up all of the last 15 minutes, more like about 5.

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    El_indian
    El_indian

Supports : funny

Post by El_indian Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:54 pm

zero dark thirty was a 9/10. dat raid
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:43 am

Nightcrawler - 10/10 srs. Exactly my kind of movie, dark stylish and interesting characters. 

Hunger Games 3 The Hunger Strikes Back - 3.5/10. Pacing was absolutely awful, it was slow and had barely any action. It's definitely suffered from the cash grab of being a 2 part finale.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:13 am

Hunger Games 3 The Hunger Strikes Back  sounds like a terrifying horror movie.
    SophisticatedBeggar
    SophisticatedBeggar

Post by SophisticatedBeggar Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:48 am

Zzonked wrote:Nightcrawler - 10/10 srs. Exactly my kind of movie, dark stylish and interesting characters. 

Hunger Games 3 The Hunger Strikes Back - 3.5/10. Pacing was absolutely awful, it was slow and had barely any action. It's definitely suffered from the cash grab of being a 2 part finale.
    Really want to see Nightcrawler but haven't made the time yet. Also went to see hunger games with some family and it was horrible. As you said, pacing was awful and it feels like the majority of the movie could have been covered in a few trailers. Complete cash grab.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:32 am

Big Hero 6 is quality. Baymax >>>>>> Groot
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:52 pm

It was kinda funny in the beginning, but I quickly got bored after the big reveal of the guy in the kabuki mask. Skipped through the rest of the movie after that.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:23 pm

Nightcrawler was creepy af. Gyllenhaal killed it.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Formerly known as : Glen Damon
    Supports : PLAYMAKER

Post by Glen Miller Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:18 am

Watched This is England again, it might be my favourite film besides the LOTR trilogy.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:17 pm

Kes-Superb.  Not as good as the book, but still worthy of its ratings on IMDB & Rotten Tomatoes.
    El_indian
    El_indian

Supports : funny

Post by El_indian Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:20 pm

sat down on me own and watched Her today. 10/10
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:52 pm

Great movie.
    FCB
    FCB

Post by FCB Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:40 pm

I have enough Google Play credit to rent The Interview. I'll think about watching it.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:34 am

Has anyone else seen the final Hobbit?  Good battle scenes, but, as Bilbo said in LOTR, a bit like butter spread over too much bread.  I also thought that Bilbo should have had more lines, Martin Freeman was perfect for the role and I felt he was under-utilized.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:40 am

Dumb and Dumber To. Fucking stupid film, quite enjoyed it despite myself.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:43 am

ResurrectionRooney wrote:Dumb and Dumber To.  Fucking stupid film, quite enjoyed it despite myself.
    I felt the same way about the first.  I despise myself for enjoying it.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:05 am

Forgot about this thread. I saw The Imitation Game a few days ago. Really solid, enjoyable film.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:54 pm

Bit late to the party here but I found a cinema last night that was still showing Interstellar. Really great film.

On the plot holes and supernatural love bit

Spoiler:
    FCB
    FCB

Post by FCB Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:46 am

Taken 3 was alright
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:29 am

Has anyone seen Paddington?  I can't find anyone who wants to see it for some reason.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:32 am

Watched Memento tonight, another fantastic film. I fear I'm becoming a Nolanite.
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:08 pm

All of his movies are terrific imo.
    ResurrectionRooney
    ResurrectionRooney

Post by ResurrectionRooney Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:14 pm

I still haven't watched The Prestige, Insomnia or the Following.  Of those I have watched I didn't think Batman Begins or Inception were all that great, although the Dark Knight films, Interstellar and Memento were excellent. The Superman film he was involved with was fucking awful though.
    Zzonked
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:13 pm

The Prestige is good, Insomnia is meh.
    Glen Miller
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:47 am

SBSP wrote:All of his movies are terrific imo.
    Batman Begins wasn't great, hence why it's behind LOTR and The Godfather (in that order) for GOAT trilogy. Smile
    SBSP
    SBSP

Post by SBSP Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:14 pm

I don't count Man of Steel as his really. I do agree that Batman Begins is the weakest of the three.
    Ra's al Ghul
    Ra's al Ghul

Post by Ra's al Ghul Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:00 pm

Glen Miller wrote:
    SBSP wrote:All of his movies are terrific imo.
    Batman Begins wasn't great, hence why it's behind LOTR and The Godfather (in that order) for GOAT trilogy. Smile

Rolling Eyes Despite your trolling, I actually don't disagree anymore. In terms of consistency throughout the trilogy nothing comes close to LoTR. Would argue that TDK reaches a higher high than anything in LoTR, though.

Man of Steel isn't his btw, he had no creative control over it. His films ranked (imo):

Memento
    The Dark Knight
    The Prestige
    Interstellar
    Inception
    The Dark Knight Rises
    Batman Begins
    Following (cool film considering it was made on a tiny budget)
    Insomnia

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:12 pm