Game of Thrones Thread

Re: Game of Thrones Thread

Post by Ra's al Ghul on Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:17 pm

That final scene was such a massive disappointment. The whole episode was generally pretty poor.

Kuled

Post by Kuled on Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:44 pm

Yeah I hate to say it but this season has been terrible, episode 9 has always been the best of every season so far though so let's hope it will be good.
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked on Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:42 pm

Keyser Söze wrote:Wait 2 weeks for a filler episode.

Are you implying that the one that just happened was a filler episode? 

Spoiler:
    Jorah exiled, Tyrion sentenced to death, Mountain fight, Oberyn ded, Ramsey Bolton naturalized, and Sansa almost totally changed her character. It moved the plot on a great deal and nearly every major character was affected.

Ra's al Ghul wrote:That final scene was such a massive disappointment. The whole episode was generally pretty poor.

What about the final scene did you find disappointing? The execution of the scene or the plot?

Post by Ra's al Ghul on Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:31 am

The execution. The scene itself is probably my favourite of the series.

Post by Keyser Söze on Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:38 am

Kuled wrote:Yeah I hate to say it but this season has been terrible, episode 9 has always been the best of every season so far though so let's hope it will be good.
    It hasn't been as good as past seasons but it's been

Zzonked wrote:
    Keyser Söze wrote:Wait 2 weeks for a filler episode.

Are you implying that the one that just happened was a filler episode? 

Spoiler:
    Jorah exiled, Tyrion sentenced to death, Mountain fight, Oberyn ded, Ramsey Bolton naturalized, and Sansa almost totally changed her character. It moved the plot on a great deal and nearly every major character was affected.

Spoiler:
    Mountain fight was about 4 minutes at the very end, it's pretty clear most viewers would have been waiting for that fight given how well they set it up in the last episode but they make everyone wait till the very end and they execute it really poorly. The fight itself was a bunch of pointless flips by Oberyn and loads of blocks. I was hoping for some sort of battle, instead they were really heavy handed with the set up for Oberyn's death.

We've known pretty much all season that Tyrion was going to be sentenced to death, so nothing really new there. The Sansa stuff was confusing and shitly done, out of nowhere she has a makeover and walks down that steps and says "shall we go", that's it? The scene when Ramsey takes the Moat seemed pretty rushed. The Jorah part was the best thing about the episode and wasn't that done in the 1st 15mins? And even then that was shorter than that stupid conversation between Missandei and Grey Worm.

Maybe filler was extreme but I didn't personally feel much was accomplished it that 52 minutes and it was double worse considering it was a 2 week wait.

Post by Ra's al Ghul on Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:55 am

I thought Moat Cailin and the scene with Ramsey and Roose were pretty good. Jorah's dismissal was alright as well, even though the circumstances for his dismissal were absurdly contrived. Everything else ranged from problematic to pretty fucking terrible. The absolute low-light was that abysmal conversation about the fucking beetles that seemed to take an eternity.
    The Zlatan

Post by The Zlatan on Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:50 am

Good or bad, that final scene was gruesome.
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney on Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:43 am

Ra's al Ghul wrote:I thought Moat Cailin and the scene with Ramsey and Roose were pretty good. Jorah's dismissal was alright as well, even though the circumstances for his dismissal were absurdly contrived. Everything else ranged from problematic to pretty fucking terrible. The absolute low-light was that abysmal conversation about the fucking beetles that seemed to take an eternity.

It was an allegory. The cousin was George RR Martin, the beetles were the good guys in Game of Thrones.

Scott_LFC

Post by Scott_LFC on Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:47 am

I used to laugh at people crying/moaning about how their favourite characters kept getting killed off, etc.

Until the last episode.

For fuck's sake.

I really liked Oberyn. Loved his character.

Wanted him to kick The Mountain's arse. Was loving the fight and how easy it was for Oberyn.

RIP Oberyn

His moves reminded me of my favourite type of fighters on games like Tekken (the more flexible, flair types).

Wish the fight was longer.

Was surprised at just how gruesome the end was, though. The skull-crushing, Jesus.
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked on Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:27 am

I think everyone loved Oberyn. It's the fact that the series can make such a great character only to kill them so quickly that makes it so good. 

Yeah, the ending was worse than I was anticipating. The book had the stuff about his teeth getting smashed out, his eyes squashed in, plus the fact that his skull was crushed with a 'sickening crunch' became a famous line. I did not expect them to carry that over though, cause it's just so brutal. My mum watches the show.

Scott_LFC

Post by Scott_LFC on Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:32 am

*shudder*
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked on Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:29 am

Sansa was hot tho.

Post by Keyser Söze on Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:11 am

+1 Courier strength.
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy on Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:45 am

Keyser Söze wrote:
    Spoiler:

We've known pretty much all season that Tyrion was going to be sentenced to death, so nothing really new there.

Spoiler:
    We've known that it was scheduled to happen but I think a lot of us were holding out hope that he would some how find a way out of it.  And the midget isn't dead yet.  I still wouldn't be surprised if he survives somehow.
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy on Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:46 am

Wtf Scott?  Spoiler that shiz!

Kuled

Post by Kuled on Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:28 pm

Everyone keeps dying for fucks sake Sad
    menalawyerguy

Post by menalawyerguy on Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:50 pm

All men must die!
    ResurrectionRooney

Supports : United

Post by ResurrectionRooney on Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:54 pm

Glad that ginger bitch finally got what was coming to her last night. Never have to hear that stupid fucking catchphrase again. Sick to fucking death of the wall though, how you can end an episode like the last one and then jump straight to events hundreds (thousands?) of miles away I don't know.
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked on Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:01 pm

Spoiler:
    Great episode, love the way they filmed it. Liked the part when the giant shot that guy and him falling made it transition from the wall to the ground, also liked the bit when Jon got off the lift and there was a really long pan around that showed everyone fighting.

Next episode has tons of material to work with, I feel like it might be the densest episode yet.
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked on Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:16 pm

Just found out the final episode is 66 minutes long, makes sense.

Post by Ra's al Ghul on Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:45 am

I quite liked this episode but was massively disappointed with the way it ended.

Book spoilers:
    Spoiler:
    I'm so tired of Weiss and Benioff's treatment of Stannis. They've already butchered him enough as it is but to rob him of his big moment was just pathetic. I'm aware they're going to have it in the next episode but it would have been so much more triumphant if it had come at the end of what is arguably the biggest episode of the series so far.
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked on Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:55 am

Ra's al Ghul wrote:I quite liked this episode but was massively disappointed with the way it ended.

Book spoilers:
    Spoiler:
    I'm so tired of Weiss and Benioff's treatment of Stannis. They've already butchered him enough as it is but to rob him of his big moment was just pathetic. I'm aware they're going to have it in the next episode but it would have been so much more triumphant if it had come at the end of what is arguably the biggest episode of the series so far.

Additional book spoilers:
    Spoiler:
    I was also expecting it as the big episode 9 twist too. I guess it's a little bit cleaner that it wasn't, because now we get Jon's perspective on that side of the wall, plus they only have the threat from one side this time. Do you think they'll make it the end of episode 10 at least? Mite be Tyrion.

I heard that the most expensive scene per second is coming in the next episode, I guess that's the dragons getting chained then.

Post by Keyser Söze on Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:23 am

The giants were amazing.
    Spoiler:
    Shame Ser Alliser is dead, liked him.

Post by Ra's al Ghul on Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:39 pm

Zzonked wrote:
    Ra's al Ghul wrote:I quite liked this episode but was massively disappointed with the way it ended.

Book spoilers:
    Spoiler:

Additional book spoilers:
    Spoiler:
    I was also expecting it as the big episode 9 twist too. I guess it's a little bit cleaner that it wasn't, because now we get Jon's perspective on that side of the wall, plus they only have the threat from one side this time. Do you think they'll make it the end of episode 10 at least? Mite be Tyrion.

I heard that the most expensive scene per second is coming in the next episode, I guess that's the dragons getting chained then.

Further book spoilers:
    Spoiler:
    I think it'll actually be the first scene. I'm pretty sure the final scene will be resurrected Catelyn. Of course there's a possibility that they may cut that entirely, in which case the final scene will be either Tyrion/Tywin or Bran finding the three-eyed crow raven.

Yeah, must be. Don't see what else it could be. Honestly think this next episode could be the best of the series if they pull off everything well.
    dena

Post by dena on Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:17 am

Book spoilers:
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Would've been hard to do... as in Blackwater D&D wanted to devote 10-15 minutes to some story building with good quotes, and then they need adequate time for the battle and all their set pieces. And Jon does treat with Stannis after the first night of the battle, hard to have all that in an hour.

Post by Ra's al Ghul on Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:44 am

dena wrote:

Book spoilers:
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Would've been hard to do... as in Blackwater D&D wanted to devote 10-15 minutes to some story building with good quotes, and then they need adequate time for the battle and all their set pieces. And Jon does treat with Stannis after the first night of the battle, hard to have all that in an hour.

Spoiler:
    The episode was only 50 minutes long. Add another 10 minutes and add the Mance/Stannis stuff.
    dena

Post by dena on Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:06 am

Ra's al Ghul wrote:
    dena wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    The episode was only 50 minutes long. Add another 10 minutes and add the Mance/Stannis stuff.

Well you're never going to see a 60 minute HBO show, they are more like 50-55... but it is weird that they are cutting the episodes so short.

Love the sig by the way  Laughing

Post by Ra's al Ghul on Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:39 am

Yeah, they only ever go to one hour or more if it's the final episode of the season on HBO. It's a shame because I thought this episode and the one before could have done with being a bit longer. The Oberyn/Gregor fight was too short, in my opinion.

And thank you.  Top Hat I can't take credit for it though, I stole it from this tumblr: http://stannis-is-the-villain.tumblr.com/
    Cam.

Post by Cam. on Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:53 pm

Oh man, can't wait for next episode.. I haven't read the books in a while so I can't remember all the stuff that's meant to happen....

book spoilers;

Spoiler:
    Wasn't Stannis meant to have come and helped the Nights Watch? Or is that at a different battle? If so, is it likely he'll turn up next episode? And with Catelyn coming back as the zombie woman, is that what's meant to happen at this point? I've gotten a bit confused about what has happened in what book, and how it corresponds with what series, etc.
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked on Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:13 am

Cam. wrote:Oh man, can't wait for next episode.. I haven't read the books in a while so I can't remember all the stuff that's meant to happen....

book spoilers;

Spoiler:
    Wasn't Stannis meant to have come and helped the Nights Watch? Or is that at a different battle? If so, is it likely he'll turn up next episode? And with Catelyn coming back as the zombie woman, is that what's meant to happen at this point? I've gotten a bit confused about what has happened in what book, and how it corresponds with what series, etc.

le book spoilers

Spoiler:
    In the book there are two separate battles, one where they attack from each side of the wall. I think they combined them both somewhat in the series, but they seem to be doing another from the other side of the wall and that should be when Stannis shows up. Catelyn should show up soon, that happens right at the end of book 3.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:49 am