A Song of Ice and Fire (SPOILERS, SPOILERS EVERYWHERE)

Glen Miller

Formerly known as : Glen Damon
    Supports : PLAYMAKER

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire (SPOILERS, SPOILERS EVERYWHERE)

Post by Glen Miller on Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:43 am

Ra's al Ghul wrote:Jesus fuck, A Storm of Swords is crazy. There are so many moments that could be good enough for episode 9 of next season. One complaint I have though is:

Spoiler:
    Why does Tyrion find Shae in his father's bed? That completely contradicts everything we've come to know about Tywin. It kind of seemed like a weak attempt to justify Tyrion killing him.

Also, in the show they've made Shae out to be hugely devoted to Tyrion and even unwilling to take a large sum of money from Varys to escape the city. How then are they going to have her betray Tyrion in the utterly disgusting way that she does?
    Spoiler:
    That confused me as well-so much so that I even looked up a forum dedicated to the series to see their thoughts. rofl 

I didn't like that fact because I liked the idea of Tyrion killing the man we always knew-the polar opposite of Bobby Baratheon, disciplined, cold, etc.-but now it just seems like he killed some random chap we never really knew in the series. I know that Varys hinted that he created those tunnels for an unnamed previous HOTK to get his wenches, but that was too vague.

Another weak point, agreed. JRR Tolkien would never have left such a loose end.

In other news, good luck getting through the fourth book. rofl  Cersei has about 500 chapters and Martin's writing just completely deteriorates when writing from her perspective.

Post by Ra's al Ghul on Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:11 am

Spoiler:
    Oh, I'd completely forgotten about what Varys said. Still, it came out of nowhere and was just frankly a bit weird.

As for the fourth book, I've heard everyone say that it's the most boring one so I'm already prepared. Was a bit shocked to hear that Cersei is a POV character in it but can she really be more boring than Bran?
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller on Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:17 am

Spoiler:
    Yes. Every paragraph basically says this over and over: "I'm absolutely brilliant, if Tywin could see me now he would be proud because I am so cunning. I can't believe that I am doing this without a competent counsel: oh dear, the members of it are so dim and nowhere near as brilliant as I am. Speaking of brilliant people, I can't wait to kill Tyrion." I had hoped that, like with Jaime, we would begin to see some redeeming qualities, but he reveals absolutely nothing new about her.

Martin also begins to spend pages and pages "experimenting" with the X-rated scenes. oh god why No "seed" is left "unplanted."

Post by Ra's al Ghul on Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:47 am

Spoiler:
    Oh dear... At least tell me that the stuff happening in King's Landing is actually interesting. Because I don't really mind if that's the case. That's what Sansa was like in the first two books. She's unbelievably vapid and uninteresting but the events around her made her chapters tolerable.
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller on Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:51 am

Spoiler:
    Nope, just Cersei & Margaery cat-fighting.

Brienne's story is probably the best, and even that is quite a circular & mindless wild goose chase.
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked on Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:22 am

It picks up in the second half. Kings Landing gets a bit more interesting.

The Greyjoys are the main redeeming feature of that book.
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller on Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:31 am

Zzonked wrote:It picks up in the second half. Kings Landing gets a bit more interesting.

The Greyjoys are the main redeeming feature of that book.
    True, I forgot about that.

Spoiler:
    Still, in the first 500 pages, it's just a bunch of random Greyjoys shouting about why they should be king.

Post by Keyser Söze on Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:31 am

What do your book covers look like ?
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller on Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:33 am

I'm actually quite impressed with the binding. The books really aren't as big as they could be at 1200 pages each, so they look great on a bookshelf next to each other. I haven't bought the fifth one yet because all of the books need to be the same size for that reason.
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked on Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:37 am

I have them on Kindle but I think it has those pictures on the first page.
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller on Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:38 am

Zzonked wrote:I have them on Kindle

Post by Keyser Söze on Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:58 am

Moriarty wrote:

I'm actually quite impressed with the binding.  The books really aren't as big as they could be at 1200 pages each, so they look great on a bookshelf next to each other.  I haven't bought the fifth one yet because all of the books need to be the same size for that reason.

Those are paper back, right ?

I prefer these ones

I have to wait for reasonably priced ones to pop up online but its worth it since having a book cover I like adds more stratification to reading. Although, I do like the american 1st edition hardbacks best but they're harder to come by.

Zzonked wrote:I have them on Kindle but I think it has those pictures on the first page.

Yeah, I like the convenience of the Kindle since its pretty hard to find some American books over here but I prefer the nostalgic feeling of reading a book.
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked on Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:08 am

Those covers are great, very retro. Reminds me of the Everquest cover.
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller on Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:08 am

Yeah, I prefer it when the covers actually display some nice art.

I remember that the Redwall series (GOAT series for kids) always had awesome front covers. Also:

Post by Keyser Söze on Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:16 am

Zzonked wrote:Those covers are great, very retro. Reminds me of the Everquest cover.

Moriarty wrote:Yeah, I prefer it when the covers actually display some nice art.

I remember that the Redwall series (GOAT series for kids) always had awesome front covers.  Also:

I'm the same. I like it when books have a retro art cover. I say retro but I remember pretty much most fiction books had those types of covers pre-2005 or so. In particular books like LoTR and asoiaf should always have them.
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller on Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:38 am

You're right, it was about 2005 when everything went either Manga or just boring.
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked on Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:47 am

Finally finished a dance with dragons, that's one benefit to holidays. It's nice to be able to scour the wiki without fear of spoilers.
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller on Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:10 pm

On a scale from 1 to Kolo Toure, how do you rate it?
    Rei Andros

Post by Rei Andros on Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:16 pm

Yaya Toure.
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller on Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:45 pm

Post by Ra's al Ghul on Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:56 am

Finished AFFC. I actually didn't dislike it as much as I thought I would and I found some of the chapters towards the end pretty good.

Spoiler:
    Interested to hear who you guys think Pate is.
    Glen Miller

Post by Glen Miller on Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:04 pm

Spoiler:
    Valar morghulis.
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked on Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:03 am

Moriarty wrote:On a scale from 1 to Kolo Toure, how do you rate it?
    2nd best book imo.

Moriarty wrote:
    Spoiler:
    Valar morghulis.

Post by Ra's al Ghul on Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:16 am

Three more chapters plus the epilogue for me and I will have finished the entire series in one summer.

Post by Ra's al Ghul on Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:31 am

ADwD spoiler

Spoiler:
    Really don't like how things have developed with Jon. If he dies then I'll be really annoyed but if he survives then it'll come off as a cheap cop-out. Too many characters have been on the verge of death and survived at this point. I just hope that he knows what he's doing. There are so many unsolved mysteries and I'm concerned (as I'm sure most people are) that we'll never get definitive answers for them.
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked on Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:32 pm

Ra's al Ghul wrote:ADwD spoiler

Spoiler:
    Really don't like how things have developed with Jon. If he dies then I'll be really annoyed but if he survives then it'll come off as a cheap cop-out. Too many characters have been on the verge of death and survived at this point. I just hope that he knows what he's doing. There are so many unsolved mysteries and I'm concerned (as I'm sure most people are) that we'll never get definitive answers for them.
    Spoiler:
    I reckon that he'll be revived by Melisandre, especially cause he had Stannis's back. It's possible that he could die, but I get the feeling he's going to be pretty pivotal to the story, more so than most characters. I personally think that he can't die because they need him alive when they reveal the bombshell of who his mother is. The internet has theories (that are more than likely true) about his mother that are huge and become quite irrelevant if he's dead.

Post by Ra's al Ghul on Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:13 am

Zzonked wrote:

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    I reckon that he'll be revived by Melisandre, especially cause he had Stannis's back. It's possible that he could die, but I get the feeling he's going to be pretty pivotal to the story, more so than most characters. I personally think that he can't die because they need him alive when they reveal the bombshell of who his mother is. The internet has theories (that are more than likely true) about his mother that are huge and become quite irrelevant if he's dead.
    Spoiler:
    I'm not a believer of the Rhaegar+Lyanna theory. It strikes me as too obvious which isn't congruent with the nature of the series. It would be very like Martin to make the identity of his mother inconsequential. Having said that, I do think that Jon is alive and I understand that resurrection would be the perfect ingredient for him to move on to bigger things since his NW vows would no longer be relevant but it would still feel cheap. We've now seen Arya, Brienne, Theon and Asha all seem to be dead and then turn out to be alive and we've also had more than our fair share of resurrections. Adding Jon to that list makes the series just a bit too conventional because he's arguably the protagonist. Removing the element of danger for the main character could be really detrimental to the series. I hope I'm wrong and Martin still manages to surprise us (preferably without killing someone I like).
    Zzonked

Post by Zzonked on Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:44 am

Ra's al Ghul wrote:
    Zzonked wrote:

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    I'm not a believer of the Rhaegar+Lyanna theory. It strikes me as too obvious which isn't congruent with the nature of the series. It would be very like Martin to make the identity of his mother inconsequential. Having said that, I do think that Jon is alive and I understand that resurrection would be the perfect ingredient for him to move on to bigger things since his NW vows would no longer be relevant but it would still feel cheap. We've now seen Arya, Brienne, Theon and Asha all seem to be dead and then turn out to be alive and we've also had more than our fair share of resurrections. Adding Jon to that list makes the series just a bit too conventional because he's arguably the protagonist. Removing the element of danger for the main character could be really detrimental to the series. I hope I'm wrong and Martin still manages to surprise us (preferably without killing someone I like).
    Spoiler:
    I just find it impossible to believe that it isn't those two who made Jon Snow now. It has to be the promise that Lyanna told Ned to keep because I don't see what else it could be. I watched an interview with the series creators and they said when they were trying to talk to Martin about making the series to test them he asked them who his mother was. They said they came up with a 'surprising answer' and he basically indicated that they were right, so it has to be something you can figure out imo.

I never actually thought about that being a good way to escape his vows though, interesting angle. I don't remember fully all the Arya, Brienne, Theon and Asha 'deaths'. I thought they were all fairly ambiguous though like they just got hit with a weapon or something? The one death that he really copped out on was Tyrion, because he fell into the water with the greyscale guys and came out totally unscathed.

Post by Ra's al Ghul on Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:46 am

Zzonked wrote:
    Ra's al Ghul wrote:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    I just find it impossible to believe that it isn't those two who made Jon Snow now. It has to be the promise that Lyanna told Ned to keep because I don't see what else it could be. I watched an interview with the series creators and they said when they were trying to talk to Martin about making the series to test them he asked them who his mother was. They said they came up with a 'surprising answer' and he basically indicated that they were right, so it has to be something you can figure out imo.

I never actually thought about that being a good way to escape his vows though, interesting angle. I don't remember fully all the Arya, Brienne, Theon and Asha 'deaths'. I thought they were all fairly ambiguous though like they just got hit with a weapon or something? The one death that he really copped out on was Tyrion, because he fell into the water with the greyscale guys and came out totally unscathed.
    Spoiler:
    I know it seems really plausible but that's exactly why I don't think it's true. I have no evidence to support the claim but I just think it's a perfect red herring. I've seen the interview where the writers mention this but I think that if their answer was truly surprising then they can't have possibly said L+R. That's the least surprising answer there is.

Yeah, they were purposefully ambiguous but the point is that they all survived. I had forgotten about Tyrion but the same applies for him. It seems like more important characters are surviving near death experiences than they are dying at this point.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:56 pm