The Atheist Thread

    Share
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Guest on Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:53 am

    Explain.
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Guest on Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:59 am

    Come on guys, we have been over this I don't know, like 5 times?!

    Do you think God would be fair if he sent people to Hell or Heaven without testing them? The tests aren't for God's sake, it's so we don't have an excuse when the consequences come. It's like a teacher failing you before you take any exams (unlike the teacher God knows 100% of the outcome).
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Guest on Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:00 am

    ahlycotc wrote:Come on guys, we have been over this I don't know, like 5 times?!

    Do you think God would be fair if he sent people to Hell or Heaven without testing them? The tests aren't for God's sake, it's so we don't have an excuse when the consequences come. It's like a teacher failing you before you take any exams (unlike the teacher God knows 100% of the outcome).

    5 times is an understatement.
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Guest on Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:12 am

    ahlycotc wrote:Come on guys, we have been over this I don't know, like 5 times?!

    Do you think God would be fair if he sent people to Hell or Heaven without testing them? The tests aren't for God's sake, it's so we don't have an excuse when the consequences come. It's like a teacher failing you before you take any exams (unlike the teacher God knows 100% of the outcome).
    How is that not a contradiction?

    If God knows 100% the outcome, then he knows which path we will take, which means we don't have free will. If we do have free will, then God doesn't know the outcome, which means he is omniscient.

    Come on, a preschooler could understand this.
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Guest on Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:25 am

    polska. wrote:
    ahlycotc wrote:Come on guys, we have been over this I don't know, like 5 times?!

    Do you think God would be fair if he sent people to Hell or Heaven without testing them? The tests aren't for God's sake, it's so we don't have an excuse when the consequences come. It's like a teacher failing you before you take any exams (unlike the teacher God knows 100% of the outcome).
    How is that not a contradiction?

    If God knows 100% the outcome, then he knows which path we will take, which means we don't have free will. If we do have free will, then God doesn't know the outcome, which means he is omniscient.

    Come on, a preschooler could understand this.

    You have a misunderstanding of free will then. Free will means people have a choice in their actions. It doesn't mean that outcome is unknown to God. So it's not contradictory at all.
    avatar
    ResurrectionRooney
     
     

    Posts : 17674
    Supports : United

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by ResurrectionRooney on Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:27 am

    ahlycotc wrote:Come on guys, we have been over this I don't know, like 5 times?!

    Do you think God would be fair if he sent people to Hell or Heaven without testing them? The tests aren't for God's sake, it's so we don't have an excuse when the consequences come. It's like a teacher failing you before you take any exams (unlike the teacher God knows 100% of the outcome).
    We already have an excuse, God created us in the way that he did, in the full knowledge that we would fail. To extend your analogy, it is like a school teacher giving a 6 year old a test on advanced quantum mechanics, in the language of the Ancient Mayans, except unlike the teacher, God knows with 100% certainty that the test will be failed.
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Guest on Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:28 am

    ResurrectionRooney wrote:
    ahlycotc wrote:Come on guys, we have been over this I don't know, like 5 times?!

    Do you think God would be fair if he sent people to Hell or Heaven without testing them? The tests aren't for God's sake, it's so we don't have an excuse when the consequences come. It's like a teacher failing you before you take any exams (unlike the teacher God knows 100% of the outcome).
    We already have an excuse, God created us in the way that he did, in the full knowledge that we would fail. To extend your analogy, it is like a school teacher giving a 6 year old a test on advanced quantum mechanics, in the language of the Ancient Mayans, except unlike the teacher, God knows with 100% certainty that the test will be failed.

    So you are admitting that you are too stupid to follow a simple set of rules?
    avatar
    ResurrectionRooney
     
     

    Posts : 17674
    Supports : United

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by ResurrectionRooney on Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:32 am

    ahlycotc wrote:
    ResurrectionRooney wrote:We already have an excuse, God created us in the way that he did, in the full knowledge that we would fail. To extend your analogy, it is like a school teacher giving a 6 year old a test on advanced quantum mechanics, in the language of the Ancient Mayans, except unlike the teacher, God knows with 100% certainty that the test will be failed.

    So you are admitting that you are too stupid to follow a simple set of rules?
    No, I am too intelligent to follow rules without compelling evidence that I should.
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Guest on Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:43 am

    ResurrectionRooney wrote:
    ahlycotc wrote:

    So you are admitting that you are too stupid to follow a simple set of rules?
    No, I am too intelligent to follow rules without compelling evidence that I should.

    Is there evidence supporting every law in your country? Yet you follow those laws even if you don't agree with it. If you say it's because of the consequences, there are much greater consequences of not following God's laws.
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Guest on Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:44 am

    ahlycotc wrote:
    ResurrectionRooney wrote:No, I am too intelligent to follow rules without compelling evidence that I should.

    Is there evidence supporting every law in your country? Yet you follow those laws even if you don't agree with it. If you say it's because of the consequences, there are much greater consequences of not following God's laws.
    Proof?
    avatar
    Theo Filippo
     
     

    Formerly known as : Filippo Inzaghi
    Posts : 21636
    Age : 23

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Theo Filippo on Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:44 am

    ahlycotc wrote:
    ResurrectionRooney wrote:No, I am too intelligent to follow rules without compelling evidence that I should.

    Is there evidence supporting every law in your country? Yet you follow those laws even if you don't agree with it. If you say it's because of the consequences, there are much greater consequences of not following God's laws.
    Good job he doesn't exist then.
    avatar
    ResurrectionRooney
     
     

    Posts : 17674
    Supports : United

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by ResurrectionRooney on Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:45 am

    ahlycotc wrote:
    ResurrectionRooney wrote:No, I am too intelligent to follow rules without compelling evidence that I should.

    Is there evidence supporting every law in your country? Yet you follow those laws even if you don't agree with it. If you say it's because of the consequences, there are much greater consequences of not following God's laws.

    I follow laws if A) I agree with them or B) There is a sufficient risk of me getting caught. If I disagree with a law and there isn't anything credible suggesting I'll be caught, I'll disobey it if I feel like it.
    avatar
    ResurrectionRooney
     
     

    Posts : 17674
    Supports : United

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by ResurrectionRooney on Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:46 am

    avatar
    ResurrectionRooney
     
     

    Posts : 17674
    Supports : United

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by ResurrectionRooney on Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:46 am

    avatar
    ResurrectionRooney
     
     

    Posts : 17674
    Supports : United

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by ResurrectionRooney on Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:51 am

    avatar
    Childish Logic
     
     

    Formerly known as : NZG
    Posts : 13744
    Age : 25
    Supports : Lucas

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Childish Logic on Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:21 am

    ResurrectionRooney wrote:
    ahlycotc wrote:Come on guys, we have been over this I don't know, like 5 times?!

    Do you think God would be fair if he sent people to Hell or Heaven without testing them? The tests aren't for God's sake, it's so we don't have an excuse when the consequences come. It's like a teacher failing you before you take any exams (unlike the teacher God knows 100% of the outcome).
    We already have an excuse, God created us in the way that he did, in the full knowledge that we would fail. To extend your analogy, it is like a school teacher giving a 6 year old a test on advanced quantum mechanics, in the language of the Ancient Mayans, except unlike the teacher, God knows with 100% certainty that the test will be failed.


    that is a fucking stupid analogy. The rules set by god aren't hard to follow, Only a retard would compare the rules in religion to quantum mechanics.
    avatar
    SBSP
     
     

    Posts : 50005

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by SBSP on Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:22 am

    It's more like a spelling test, with one extra credit question being advanced literary analysis. Neutral
    avatar
    Childish Logic
     
     

    Formerly known as : NZG
    Posts : 13744
    Age : 25
    Supports : Lucas

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Childish Logic on Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:25 am

    SBSP wrote:It's more like a spelling test, with one extra credit question being advanced literary analysis. Neutral

    RR must find that super hard Rolling Eyes
    avatar
    ResurrectionRooney
     
     

    Posts : 17674
    Supports : United

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by ResurrectionRooney on Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:34 pm

    NZG wrote:
    ResurrectionRooney wrote:We already have an excuse, God created us in the way that he did, in the full knowledge that we would fail. To extend your analogy, it is like a school teacher giving a 6 year old a test on advanced quantum mechanics, in the language of the Ancient Mayans, except unlike the teacher, God knows with 100% certainty that the test will be failed.


    that is a fucking stupid analogy. The rules set by god aren't hard to follow, Only a retard would compare the rules in religion to quantum mechanics.

    The point of the analogy is that the teacher already knows the child is going to fail, just like God has always known that I was going to fail. The rules in this analogy is only that you must pass the test.
    avatar
    Childish Logic
     
     

    Formerly known as : NZG
    Posts : 13744
    Age : 25
    Supports : Lucas

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Childish Logic on Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:56 pm

    ResurrectionRooney wrote:
    NZG wrote:


    that is a fucking stupid analogy. The rules set by god aren't hard to follow, Only a retard would compare the rules in religion to quantum mechanics.

    The point of the analogy is that the teacher already knows the child is going to fail, just like God has always known that I was going to fail. The rules in this analogy is only that you must pass the test.

    "Do you think God would be fair if he sent people to Hell or Heaven without testing them? The tests aren't for God's sake, it's so we don't have an excuse when the consequences come. It's like a teacher failing you before you take any exams (unlike the teacher God knows 100% of the outcome)."

    avatar
    El_indian
     
     

    Posts : 8448
    Location : New Zealand
    Supports : funny

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by El_indian on Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:52 pm

    what's the point in Hell? bit mean isn't it?
    avatar
    GK01
     
     

    Posts : 15559
    Age : 21
    Location : Brisbane, Australia.
    Supports : Brisbane Roar

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by GK01 on Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:23 pm

    To me the Devil seems like the good guy, you know punishing the evil and such. God just kills everyone and anyone he likes. shifty
    avatar
    ResurrectionRooney
     
     

    Posts : 17674
    Supports : United

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by ResurrectionRooney on Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

    NZG wrote:
    ResurrectionRooney wrote:

    The point of the analogy is that the teacher already knows the child is going to fail, just like God has always known that I was going to fail. The rules in this analogy is only that you must pass the test.

    "Do you think God would be fair if he sent people to Hell or Heaven without testing them? The tests aren't for God's sake, it's so we don't have an excuse when the consequences come. It's like a teacher failing you before you take any exams (unlike the teacher God knows 100% of the outcome)."


    Yeah, but this God, he created us in the way that he did in the full knowledge that we would fail in the universe he created - like the teacher creating the test that he knows the 6 year old will fail.
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Guest on Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:03 am

    polska. wrote:
    ahlycotc wrote:Come on guys, we have been over this I don't know, like 5 times?!

    Do you think God would be fair if he sent people to Hell or Heaven without testing them? The tests aren't for God's sake, it's so we don't have an excuse when the consequences come. It's like a teacher failing you before you take any exams (unlike the teacher God knows 100% of the outcome).
    How is that not a contradiction?

    If God knows 100% the outcome, then he knows which path we will take, which means we don't have free will. If we do have free will, then God doesn't know the outcome, which means he is omniscient.

    Come on, a preschooler could understand this.
    Yeah if this god fella knows what outcome we will take why even make us dawdle around for a lifetime before we go to heaven or hell.

    I can't believe people still believe in a god in this day and age.
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Guest on Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:53 am



    This made me lol.
    avatar
    Jorlung
     
     

    Posts : 5285
    Age : 85
    Location : Canada
    Supports : TFC

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Jorlung on Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:16 am



    Really Polska... Thought this thread had finally died.
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Guest on Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:30 am

    Why does it have to die? It's a thread regarding all Atheism discussion and I as an atheist should put any atheist discussion in this thread.

    Or do you want it to die because you dislike the discussions that take place in here? If so, lock this thread, but also lock the Chelsea and Manchester United threads because I dislike the discussions in there as well.
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Guest on Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:06 pm

    God doesn't exist. Smile
    avatar
    Jorlung
     
     

    Posts : 5285
    Age : 85
    Location : Canada
    Supports : TFC

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Jorlung on Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:03 pm

    Lu❣s Suarez wrote:Why does it have to die? It's a thread regarding all Atheism discussion and I as an atheist should put any atheist discussion in this thread.

    Or do you want it to die because you dislike the discussions that take place in here? If so, lock this thread, but also lock the Chelsea and Manchester United threads because I dislike the discussions in there as well.
    To be honest I don't give two shits about what goes on here, but while this thread was active it seemed a lot more threads somehow lead to athiest/RR vs. religious/ahly discussions, which was rather annoying and they finally died down when this thread did.

    Kuled
     
     

    Posts : 55235
    Age : 21

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Kuled on Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:11 pm

    Lu❣s Suarez wrote:Why does it have to die? It's a thread regarding all Atheism discussion and I as an atheist should put any atheist discussion in this thread.

    Or do you want it to die because you dislike the discussions that take place in here? If so, lock this thread, but also lock the Chelsea and Manchester United threads because I dislike the discussions in there as well.
    We praise Tomasz Kuszczak all the time.

    Sponsored content

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:31 pm