The Atheist Thread

    Share

    Sean
     
     

    Posts : 33857
    Age : 23

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Sean on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:10 am

    What was the original point?
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Guest on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:10 am

    What did he say before the edit?
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Guest on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:10 am

    Zzonked wrote:
    Splashy wrote:nvm, Neutral

    Laughing

    I agree with your original post. To me there just seems to be a basic sense of irrationality about it.
    A member of the moderating council, calling my religious beliefs irrational. Rolling Eyes
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Guest on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:10 am

    SBSP wrote:
    Splashy wrote:
    What questions are there to ask about religion?

    "Do you believe in my imaginary friend?"

    "Yes I do"
    You're completely ignorant about religion. Someone might want to know something specific about the religion, or they might want some clarification about some concept. Neutral
    And you're ignorant to think all Atheist's share the same views, Some people may want to question or non-belief or put forward there side of the argument, there is also Agnosticism which is kinda in the middle.
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Guest on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:11 am

    ahlycotc wrote:What did he say before the edit?
    "I dunno, the whole idea just seems stoopid."
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Guest on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:11 am

    InGlennyWeTrust wrote:Nice edit Splashy, avoiding the inevitable "hypocrisy" comments. Smile
    I changed it because he tricked me. Neutral

    Sean
     
     

    Posts : 33857
    Age : 23

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Sean on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:12 am

    Splashy wrote:
    SBSP wrote:You're completely ignorant about religion. Someone might want to know something specific about the religion, or they might want some clarification about some concept. Neutral
    And you're ignorant to think all Atheist's share the same views, Some people may want to question or non-belief or put forward there side of the argument, there is also Agnosticism which is kinda in the middle.

    You all share the same view that there is no God, theres very little difference between atheists where their non belief is concerned
    avatar
    MickStupp
     
     

    Posts : 1933
    Age : 25
    Location : Glasgow

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by MickStupp on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:13 am

    How about this question about atheism:

    So how and when did you atheists here realise there was no god? smug Mischief
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Guest on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:14 am

    MickStupp wrote:How about this question about atheism:

    So how and when did you atheists here realise there was no god?
    When God felt it was the right time.
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Guest on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:15 am

    The thing is, the atheists in this thread just bash religion by posting internet memes. That's hardly "sharing of different beliefs and opinions". At the very least, this thread serves no purpose.
    avatar
    Zzonked
     
     

    Posts : 24277
    Age : 25

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Zzonked on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:15 am

    InGlennyWeTrust wrote:
    Zzonked wrote:
    Splashy wrote:nvm, Neutral

    Laughing

    I agree with your original post. To me there just seems to be a basic sense of irrationality about it.
    A member of the moderating council, calling my religious beliefs irrational. Rolling Eyes

    Religion by definition is irrational. Irrational means without reason. Religion is based pretty much on faith alone, religious faith means believing in something without reason, but on the basis of some sort of spiritual belief. So yes, I'm calling your religion beliefs irrational.
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Guest on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:17 am

    Zzonked wrote:
    InGlennyWeTrust wrote:A member of the moderating council, calling my religious beliefs irrational. Rolling Eyes

    Religion by definition is irrational. Irrational means without reason. Religion is based pretty much on faith alone, religious faith means believing in something without reason, but on the basis of some sort of spiritual belief. So yes, I'm calling your religion beliefs irrational.

    Which is false. There is plenty of reasoning and thinking behind religion. Even if we were to assume that all religions were created by man, a lot of reasoning and thinking went into it.
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Guest on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:18 am

    Zzonked wrote:
    InGlennyWeTrust wrote:A member of the moderating council, calling my religious beliefs irrational. Rolling Eyes

    Religion by definition is irrational. Irrational means without reason. Religion is based pretty much on faith alone, religious faith means believing in something without reason, but on the basis of some sort of spiritual belief. So yes, I'm calling your religion beliefs irrational.
    So I believe in God for no reason? Prayer brings me comfort and confidence. That is a good reason to pray to God. My beliefs give me hope for my time after death, and they also give me comfort for my friends and relatives that die who believe in Christ. Is that not a reason in itself to believe in God? Add to that the strong belief, no, knowledge that I will be with Christ after death?
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Guest on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:18 am

    I think I am agnostic. I don't believe in anything but I like learning about other religions.
    avatar
    MickStupp
     
     

    Posts : 1933
    Age : 25
    Location : Glasgow

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by MickStupp on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:24 am

    InGlennyWeTrust wrote:
    Zzonked wrote:

    Religion by definition is irrational. Irrational means without reason. Religion is based pretty much on faith alone, religious faith means believing in something without reason, but on the basis of some sort of spiritual belief. So yes, I'm calling your religion beliefs irrational.
    So I believe in God for no reason? Prayer brings me comfort and confidence. That is a good reason to pray to God. My beliefs give me hope for my time after death, and they also give me comfort for my friends and relatives that die who believe in Christ. Is that not a reason in itself to believe in God? Add to that the strong belief, no, knowledge that I will be with Christ after death?
    I disagree with the notion that these are "good" reasons to believe in god. I accept that you may not think like me, I don't find comfort in something I see no evidence for. I don't believe in god for scientific reasons, even if it is what you would think of as depressing.

    Oh and you do not know you will be with Christ after death, you were right with strong belief.


    Last edited by MickStupp on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    SBSP
     
     

    Posts : 50005

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by SBSP on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:24 am

    ahlycotc wrote:The thing is, the atheists in this thread just bash religion by posting internet memes. That's hardly "sharing of different beliefs and opinions". At the very least, this thread serves no purpose.
    This is true. This thread is more anti-religion than atheism.
    avatar
    Zzonked
     
     

    Posts : 24277
    Age : 25

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Zzonked on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:27 am

    ahlycotc wrote:
    Zzonked wrote:
    InGlennyWeTrust wrote:A member of the moderating council, calling my religious beliefs irrational. Rolling Eyes

    Religion by definition is irrational. Irrational means without reason. Religion is based pretty much on faith alone, religious faith means believing in something without reason, but on the basis of some sort of spiritual belief. So yes, I'm calling your religion beliefs irrational.

    Which is false. There is plenty of reasoning and thinking behind religion. Even if we were to assume that all religions were created by man, a lot of reasoning and thinking went into it.

    I'm calling religious belief irrational because there is no factual reasoning that suggest that god exists. Do you deny that any argument comes down to faith then?

    InGlennyWeTrust wrote:
    Zzonked wrote:
    InGlennyWeTrust wrote:A member of the moderating council, calling my religious beliefs irrational. Rolling Eyes

    Religion by definition is irrational. Irrational means without reason. Religion is based pretty much on faith alone, religious faith means believing in something without reason, but on the basis of some sort of spiritual belief. So yes, I'm calling your religion beliefs irrational.
    So I believe in God for no reason? Prayer brings me comfort and confidence. That is a good reason to pray to God. My beliefs give me hope for my time after death, and they also give me comfort for my friends and relatives that die who believe in Christ. Is that not a reason in itself to believe in God? Add to that the strong belief, no, knowledge that I will be with Christ after death?

    So basically you only believe in religion because it's an emotional crutch that helps you live your life? That isn't based on reason, that's based on emotion.
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Guest on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:29 am

    Zzonked wrote:
    InGlennyWeTrust wrote:So I believe in God for no reason? Prayer brings me comfort and confidence. That is a good reason to pray to God. My beliefs give me hope for my time after death, and they also give me comfort for my friends and relatives that die who believe in Christ. Is that not a reason in itself to believe in God? Add to that the strong belief, no, knowledge that I will be with Christ after death?

    So basically you only believe in religion because it's an emotional crutch that helps you live your life? That isn't based on reason, that's based on emotion.
    The Bible is all of the proof that true believers need.
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Guest on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:30 am

    Zzonked wrote:
    I'm calling religious belief irrational because there is no factual reasoning that suggest that god exists. Do you deny that any argument comes down to faith then?


    Surely it's equally irrational to be 100% certain that there is no god as well then?
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Guest on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:30 am

    Sarmz wrote:
    Zzonked wrote:
    I'm calling religious belief irrational because there is no factual reasoning that suggest that god exists. Do you deny that any argument comes down to faith then?


    Surely it's equally irrational to be 100% certain that there is no god as well then?
    Spot on.
    avatar
    MickStupp
     
     

    Posts : 1933
    Age : 25
    Location : Glasgow

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by MickStupp on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:31 am

    Sarmz wrote:
    Zzonked wrote:
    I'm calling religious belief irrational because there is no factual reasoning that suggest that god exists. Do you deny that any argument comes down to faith then?


    Surely it's equally irrational to be 100% certain that there is no god as well then?
    True, but no-one is saying that.
    avatar
    Zzonked
     
     

    Posts : 24277
    Age : 25

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Zzonked on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:31 am

    InGlennyWeTrust wrote:
    Zzonked wrote:
    InGlennyWeTrust wrote:So I believe in God for no reason? Prayer brings me comfort and confidence. That is a good reason to pray to God. My beliefs give me hope for my time after death, and they also give me comfort for my friends and relatives that die who believe in Christ. Is that not a reason in itself to believe in God? Add to that the strong belief, no, knowledge that I will be with Christ after death?

    So basically you only believe in religion because it's an emotional crutch that helps you live your life? That isn't based on reason, that's based on emotion.
    The Bible is all of the proof that true believers need.

    Yeah the bible is very logical. It's got two of every animal sailing away to safety when the entire earth flooded and talking snakes.
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Guest on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:32 am

    MickStupp wrote:
    Sarmz wrote:

    Surely it's equally irrational to be 100% certain that there is no god as well then?
    True, but no-one is saying that.

    Plenty of people are certain there is no god. You don't see people questioning their intelligence though.
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Guest on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:33 am

    Zzonked wrote:
    InGlennyWeTrust wrote:The Bible is all of the proof that true believers need.

    Yeah the bible is very logical. It's got two of every animal sailing away to safety when the entire earth flooded and talking snakes.
    Who is to say what was not logical thousands of years ago? Just over 200 years ago it was expected, if not encouraged that you be racist towards black people. How does that appear today? Who knows what might seem irrational 200 years from now?


    Last edited by InGlennyWeTrust on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    Zzonked
     
     

    Posts : 24277
    Age : 25

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Zzonked on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:33 am

    Sarmz wrote:
    Zzonked wrote:
    I'm calling religious belief irrational because there is no factual reasoning that suggest that god exists. Do you deny that any argument comes down to faith then?


    Surely it's equally irrational to be 100% certain that there is no god as well then?

    I wouldn't say equally irrational, however it would be irrational, yes.
    avatar
    Guest
    Guest

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Guest on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:33 am

    Sarmz wrote:
    Zzonked wrote:
    I'm calling religious belief irrational because there is no factual reasoning that suggest that god exists. Do you deny that any argument comes down to faith then?


    Surely it's equally irrational to be 100% certain that there is no god as well then?
    No because scientist's etc put forawrd evidence to support our non-belief.

    What has religion got, An ancient book? Neutral
    avatar
    LeBron
     
     

    Formerly known as : Spider
    Posts : 12087
    Age : 25
    Supports : Man Red.

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by LeBron on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:34 am

    i need a poo.
    avatar
    MickStupp
     
     

    Posts : 1933
    Age : 25
    Location : Glasgow

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by MickStupp on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:34 am

    Sarmz wrote:
    MickStupp wrote:
    True, but no-one is saying that.

    Plenty of people are certain there is no god. You don't see people questioning their intelligence though.
    Like who? I would certainly challenge their beliefs, since they cannot prove definitively that there is no god. But the vast majority of atheists have a degree of agnosticism.


    Last edited by MickStupp on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    Zzonked
     
     

    Posts : 24277
    Age : 25

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Zzonked on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:35 am

    InGlennyWeTrust wrote:
    Zzonked wrote:
    InGlennyWeTrust wrote:The Bible is all of the proof that true believers need.

    Yeah the bible is very logical. It's got two of every animal sailing away to safety when the entire earth flooded and talking snakes.
    Who is to say what was not logical thousands of years ago? Just over 200 years ago it was expected, if not encouraged that you be racist towards black people. How does that appear today? Who knows what might seem irrational 200 years from now?

    I don't understand the point you're trying to make. Are you saying that they had terrible information thousands of years ago and that's what the bible is based on? Doesn't that just give you even less reason behind taking it as fact?
    avatar
    Theo Filippo
     
     

    Formerly known as : Filippo Inzaghi
    Posts : 21636
    Age : 23

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Theo Filippo on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:36 am

    Zzonked wrote:
    InGlennyWeTrust wrote:The Bible is all of the proof that true believers need.

    Yeah the bible is very logical. It's got two of every animal sailing away to safety when the entire earth flooded and talking snakes.
    rofl

    Sponsored content

    Re: The Atheist Thread

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:15 pm